Chris Streveler may get the start

Leidner was pretty good...injuries made him less effective as a runner. Wasn’t gonna happen but the competition of Nelson, Streveler and Leidner battling for playing time at QB could have made us much better offensively.
PJ didn’t want Seth Green throwing the ball and Jerry didn’t like the way Streveler threw the ball. Coaches chart the destiny for lots of players.
Liedner was the worst QB of those 3

but Nelson was a clown and a quitter and Steveler saw the writing on the wall that the coaches wouldn’t bench Liedner

Liedner was a serviceable quarterback but certainly wasn’t good. There is this myth that he was a good runner. He was an above average runner and a below average passer for a big ten quarterback. Liedner never ran for 500+ in a season in an era with some quarterbacks running for a thousand. He never threw for 3000. Never threw for 20 TDs (or even 15).

He is proof that people who start for 3.5- 4 years will find themselves in the record books at schools with bad histories at that position

I doubt any Gopher fan disrespects Mitch’s character, crazy toughness, loyalty and a pretty good ability to run a zone read. However, there is a reason the following made many of us chuckle (and I’m sure Leidner would be the first to disavow comparing himself to Drew Brees)

Also, really curious to see if Streveler does anything in the NFL. Mixed returns in the CFL.

Kyler out, Streveler is in.

A shuffle pass counts as a pass.

Horrendous. 59 yards of TO and 2 almost pick sixes followed up by a pick six. Poor judgement on most passes. Very overmatched.

Liedner was the worst QB of those 3

but Nelson was a clown and a quitter and Steveler saw the writing on the wall that the coaches wouldn’t bench Liedner

Liedner was a serviceable quarterback but certainly wasn’t good. There is this myth that he was a good runner. He was an above average runner and a below average passer for a big ten quarterback. Liedner never ran for 500+ in a season in an era with some quarterbacks running for a thousand. He never threw for 3000. Never threw for 20 TDs (or even 15).

He is proof that people who start for 3.5- 4 years will find themselves in the record books at schools with bad histories at that position

Leidner was a better QB than Streveler.

Streveler is significantly more athletic, and that's why he's in the NFL.

Leidner was a better QB than Streveler.

Streveler is significantly more athletic, and that's why he's in the NFL.
Steveler wasn’t as good as Liedner when he was here.
But once he went to a program that attempted to develop him he ended up being a much better college quarterback in the end

But once he went to a program that attempted to develop him he ended up being a much better college quarterback in the end
Streveler had more qb talent than leidner. It was short crotch Jerry Kill who couldn’t see it.

Streveler had more qb talent than leidner. It was short crotch Jerry Kill who couldn’t see it.
Kill just ran a system that didn’t develop quarterbacks

never asked the quarterback to do anything easy. Only asked them to do hard things.

because of this quarterbacks never got into a groove and couldn’t do the hard things when asked

I'm guessing that will be the last we see of Streveler in the NFL.

He went to a lower level and played against much lower talent. I don't think there was a lot of development going on.

He went to a lower level and played against much lower talent. I don't think there was a lot of development going on.
Enough development to be a great player in the CFL and be rostered in the NFL.

You think he had the talent to make an NFL roster while backing up ML?

Again, his athleticism was a big reason for that. This is why they tried to move him to WR before he transferred.

As a QB, he was able to dink and dunk his way to completing passes against lower competition. He does not have the arm to be a successful QB long term in the Big Ten or in the NFL.

Hat's off for making it on an NFL roster. CFL got him that opportunity, not playing on an FCS team. He basically was a run first QB in the CFL.

I don't think anyone has ever doubted his athletic ability... He definitely had more athletic talent than Mitch Leidner. He just wasn't as good at the quarterback position.

Hat's off for making it on an NFL roster. CFL got him that opportunity, not playing on an FCS team. He basically was a run first QB in the CFL.
For sure. You’re right. He didn’t get better at South Dakota.

he was always good enough to make an NFL roster and all other backup quarterbacks need to do is transfer down a level to show off

I don't think anyone has ever doubted his athletic ability... He definitely had more athletic talent than Mitch Leidner. He just wasn't as good at the quarterback position.
Yeah. He had some potential. Never got developed until he left Mn

For sure. You’re right. He didn’t get better at South Dakota.

he was always good enough to make an NFL roster and all other backup quarterbacks need to do is transfer down a level to show off
This is a MplsGopher type response.

He had some potential. Never got developed until he left Mn
He didn't exactly show off an ability to play the quarterback position today... and he certainly was outplayed by the Rams' QB, who'd never thrown an NFL pass before.

Streveler may be able to use that terrific natural athletic ability to hang on in the NFL as a "Taysom Hill" type of player, but I don't think he's got much of a future throwing the football.

He didn't exactly show off an ability to play the quarterback position today... and he certainly was outplayed by the Rams' QB, who'd never thrown an NFL pass before.

Streveler may be able to use that terrific natural athletic ability to hang on in the NFL as a "Taysom Hill" type of player, but I don't think he's got much of a future throwing the football.
He is literally getting paid to be a backup quarterback in the nfl. Most backup quarterbacks would look terrible

The point is streveler is leading nfl drives while leidner is driving a mccrossan truck.

This is a MplsGopher type response.
I honestly can’t fathom how you possibly think he didn’t get better while at South Dakota
I’m not debating you

you can continue to think that he never got better until he reached theCFL

I honestly can’t fathom how you possibly think he didn’t get better while at South Dakota
I’m not debating you

you can continue to think that he never got better until he reached theCFL
I already answered.

Top Bottom