Chris Monter Q&A: Jonathan Harden Makes Noise On and Off the Field

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Jonathan Harden, a 6-foot, 300-pound junior defensive lineman from St Paul (MN) Cretin Derham Hall, is a vocal leader both on and off the field. Basketball fans could see and hear Harden helping lead cheers at the Class AAAA boy’s basketball state tournament as the Raiders faced No. 1 seed Hopkins last night.

Harden is perhaps the top defensive player in the state in the Class of 2012. Harden was named All-State by the Associated Press and St. Paul Pioneer Press and All-Metro by Kare-11 and the Minneapolis Star Tribune. GopherHole.com caught up with Harden Thursday night to learn the latest on his recruitment.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1372

Is it just me or is anyone else getting a little worried that we havent offered him yet? DT prospects are not very common in our state so I really hope we dont let an inch or two get in the way of him playing for the maroon and gold!

I wonder if he is legitimately 6ft; something tells me he isn't because if he was, I think he would have offers by now (why an inch or two should make a difference I don't know, but others who know more than I probably do).

He's absolutely not 6". They all lie a little bit about their height, but John Harden is actually 5'9" (measured at the combine) which means he is probably 3 inches shorter than the players who are listed at 6'1".

I will say this, Harden is one of the most impressive players I saw all of last year. I realize he is short and that will hurt his chances but he is so dominant in Big 10 football. If anyone remembers the championship game two years ago (when Harden was a SO), he was absolutely blowing up the EP offensive line and was the main reason why that dominant running game was blanked.

I really have a hard time imagining that there are any people who have seen this kid play firsthand and not thought he could play at the next level. I could be wrong, I often am, but Harden looked better to me as a SO than Beau Allen looked as a SR (I realize that Allen has prototypical size).

Kill's type of guy...

GH: What are you hearing from the Gophers?

JH: I’m not hearing much from the Gophers. I went to their Junior Day and they want me to come to their camp. I think that they are dealing with the height. I think that schools are a little timid to offer me off of my height, but once I get down to the camps, I’ll show them that no matter what height you are, if you can play, you can play.

In college, Kill was on the small side, but played with a lot of heart and determination.

Based on that alone, Kill will probably give this kid a very hard look if he has some speed in addition to strength, power and can handle the academics.

Tweet from @ZachJohnsonGI:

"Congrats to Cretin-Derham Hall defensive tackle Jonathan Harden on his commitment to Western Michigan."

What's the word, BlahBlahBlah? Is this a placeholder until/if a better offer comes along, or is he really going to end up at WMich?

So if we offer him are people going to whine and complain that he doesn't have any other BCS offers?

Tweet from @ZachJohnsonGI:

"Congrats to Cretin-Derham Hall defensive tackle Jonathan Harden on his commitment to Western Michigan."

What's the word, BlahBlahBlah? Is this a placeholder until/if a better offer comes along, or is he really going to end up at WMich?

I really don't know.

I am surprised that Harden didn't get a BCS offer. His height must really have been a drawback. I'm just a football fan and a Cretin homer, but this kid was as impressive as just about any player to come through Cretin. His height must've made him seem like it wouldn't transfer to the Big 10.

If a BCS offer comes, I don't know what will happen. I'd guess like most people in that position, he'd consider it. However, I don't have any inside info on what he would do.

Being short shouldn't hurt a DT. If anything, it will help him get leverage.

Agree, one of the main functions of a DT is to jam up the middle and cause disruptions. I would think the only downside is a lack of knocking down passes.

Agree, one of the main functions of a DT is to jam up the middle and cause disruptions. I would think the only downside is a lack of knocking down passes.

There are certainly other advantages for being tall. You can athletically hold more weight on a larger/taller frame. You can be a much more athletic 300 lbs person at 6'3" than you can be at 5'9". You also have much longer arms which is really often where the battles are won and lost in the trenches.

There are exceptions to the rule, but most of the best DT in the NFL are 6'3" and up.

Tons of advantages to being tall. Larger selection of women (and better success), free drinks, better views at concerts and a higher likelihood of being promoted.

No wonder why the Gophers didn't want this dude...no swagger

Top Bottom