Chris Monter: Eden Prairie Kicker David Platner To Be Preferred Walk-On

Has anybody seen him kick? What type of leg does he have? How deep are his kickoffs? What's his long FG? Anybody?

Add him to the mix with the kid from NC State. I like it.
At least we will have 3-4 options going into next year.

I remember my freshman year of High School playing at Eden Prairie....opening kickoff....their freshman A kicker kicked the opening kickoff through the endzone and over a fence that was behind the endzone.

Now if I am not mistaken the field was only 90 yards long (this was before EP did major facility upgrades), and he did have a 20-30mph wind gust at his back....but it was the most amazing thing I have ever seen a kicker do live and he was a freshman. I advocate any kicker from that city becoming preferred walk on gophers ever since then.

This is a great commit for the Gophers. Has a pretty strong leg and was very consistent for Eden Praiire. He's pretty lean - almost slight; if he continues to get stronger I could see him becoming a very good D1 kicker. After not missing an EP game for 10 years I only caught 3-4 gaimes per year over the last 3 years but was impressed by David. Eden Prairie had an outstanding kicker (Erik Soderberg) on their 2007 team that Brewster tried to get as a walk-on but he opted for the Air Force Academy and kicked for AF in the inaugural game at TCF. I was already impressed with Coach Kill's approach to in-state recruiting and this is further evidence that he will strengthen the Gophers commitment to keeping Minnesota kids here.

I was hoping that he would decide to go to the U, but I didn't even know that he was a kicker! I know him from the track where he was a 1:55 800 meter runner last year as a junior. That would explain his slight build.

Never seen him kick, but I like the number of guys that coach kill is getting to stay in state as either gray shirts or walk ons.

From the clip it looks like if he gains some strength, he could be pretty good. Hard to tell how long the field goals were, but he was accurate.....and the kickoffs were to the goal line......

Not sure if I'm looking at it right. But at about the 12 second mark (nobody rushing, etc) but it looks like he was hitting from about 50 yards. And the big thing is that is looks like it is going straight up, not a drive. Looks like the same thing at around 18 seconds, very high, and maybe 7 yards farther out. But I'm just thumbnailing it.

His FG stats from 2010:
FIELD GOALS FGM/FGA Pct 01-19 20-29 30-39 40-49 50-99 Lg Blk
DAVID PLATNER 3/4 75.0 1-1 0-0 2-2 0-1 0-0 39 1

He diidn't get a lot of oppportunity to kick FGs at EP. My observation in the games I've seen him kick: most of his kickoffs were not returnable, his PAT's were driven through the uprights with excellent trajectory and his FG range was easily in the 40-50 yard range.

Sorry about the column alignment - it doesn't convert properly when I post the message.

I think he may be on the team to do kick-offs and other special teams. I think Chris Hawthorne is our man for the next three years. Most kickers prefer other kickers as holders. Platner may fit that bill as well.

Top Bottom