Chris Monter: Blue Earth Junior Jonah Pirsig Hearing from MN, Iowa, UW, A&M, 'Bama

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Chris Monter: Blue Earth Junior Jonah Pirsig Hearing from MN, Iowa, UW, A&M, 'Bama

Minnesota Gopher football recruiting for the Class of 2011 is on a hiatus with the firing of head coach Tim Brewster. However, there is plenty of talent available for a new coach in the Class of 2012. Gopher Hole.com caught up with Jonah Pirsig, a 6-foot-9, 285-pound junior left tackle/defensive end from Blue Earth (MN) High, who attended the Minnesota home games versus USC and Northern Illinois. He made Big Ten trips the past two weekends to Madison for the Ohio State-Wisconsin game and Iowa City for the Hawkeyes-Badgers contest.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1212

Good. Keep the recruiting news coming! I don't particularly care about Bama and A&M, let's keep this kid away from Sconnie and Iowegia!

This kid could be an Iowa lean, there were a couple of kids from that school in the past who have gone to Iowa to play sports, mainly wrestling (Eustice Boys, whose dad I believe is the principal) and for some reason I feel like I've heard that he is leaning towards Iowa as well.

I think he is gonna be a Badger. Watching UW beat #1 Ohio State in that crazy place then go into Iowa can't hurt.

i just cant see a scenario of that happening...there are quite a few iowa fans in southern mn believe it or not! especially down near blue earth being that it is in a county that borders iowa! i mean it's possible but I feel like it would be an uphill battle for brett and crew!

Random question: Is Jonah related to Robert Pirsig of "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"? Robert's father was raised in Elmore about 10 miles from Blue Earth.

Random question: Is Jonah related to Robert Pirsig of "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"? Robert's father was raised in Elmore about 10 miles from Blue Earth.

That would be cool.

Pirsig is the kind of kid we have to keep at Minnesota. Hopefully, he's one of the first calls by the new coach and his number is then placed on speed-dial.

Too bad the U doesn't realize Southern Minnesota isn't part of Iowa. Hard to get kids from that part of the state when you don't even try to get them.

hometown

Wow, my hometown makes Gopherhole. Never thought I'd see the day.

There are a few hawkeye fans around, but I know there's a several groups including my parents that drive to TCF in the fall. I don't think the local fans influence one way or the other. FWIW- BEAHS's school song is the Rouser and the Bucs are maroon and gold...

I know Jonah a little bit and he is a pretty good kid. He has had a lot of injuries over the years which isn't uncommon for a kid his size. I haven't seen him play any High School football but I guess he must be pretty good.

This kid could be an Iowa lean, there were a couple of kids from that school in the past who have gone to Iowa to play sports, mainly wrestling (Eustice Boys, whose dad I believe is the principal) and for some reason I feel like I've heard that he is leaning towards Iowa as well.

Yes, their dad is the principal there and is unanimously regarded as a gigantic *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#. If he would try and persuade Jonah toward Iowa, it would probably not work.

Wow, my hometown makes Gopherhole. Never thought I'd see the day.

There are a few hawkeye fans around, but I know there's a several groups including my parents that drive to TCF in the fall. I don't think the local fans influence one way or the other. FWIW- BEAHS's school song is the Rouser and the Bucs are maroon and gold...

Did you to go to BEA? If so, what years?

I remember kicking blue earths butt in football... I'm going out on a limb and saying he's a softy. Fairmont killed blue earth this year too and this kid didn't get much press or attention really.

My team was 4-1 vs Blue Earth and Fairmont in the mid 90's. I saw him play last week and I can say he has the ability to play at a high level.

It's time to start thinking about next year. You can bet Panther Hawk will be camping on Pirsig's front lawn. I hope Killer is persuasive.

Yeah.. I'm just waiting for news of an undisclosed Iowa fan meddling with recruits..

A guy I went to Luther College with a guy who has taught in Blue Earth for over 3 decades. I forward him these stories about Jonah and the guy had no idea that Jonah was being heavily recruited. My acquaintance said that Jonah and his son are in the same church group, and that Jonah is a good kid and has always been seen as a "gentle giant." If we get him I hope that he's not too gentle.

Iowa fans in Southern Minnesota?

The only Iowa fans in Southern Minnesota grew up in Iowa. There are more Iowa fans as a percentage of the population in the Twin Cities than anywhere else in Minnesota. That's because so many Iowa natives have to go to the Twin Cities to get good jobs--especially college graduates.
My wife is from Fairmont which is twenty miles from Blue Earth. The hatred toward Iowa probably runs deeper in those Minnesota counties closest to the Iowa line. The reason Minnesota football players have gone to Iowa is the same as for those who've gone to Nebraska and Wisconsin over many years. Those three schools have good football programs and are closer to Minnesota.
If Kill wins at Minnesota, all three of Minnesota's closest Big 10 rivals will have a lot more trouble recruiting the Gopher State.

Pirsig was offered by Ohio State yesterday. Wow, there is going to be extreme competition for him.

During Persig's interview, he said that how Minnesota does this year will influence his decision. Over the year's, that kind of statement is not a good sign for the Gopher's landing him. I remember Fitzgerald, Floyd and Henderson saying the same thing. However, what we didn't have for those players was a consistent team. Under Mason, we couldn't hold leads and under Brewster we didn't have an identity. If Kill can field a sound team and show what they're capable of next year, we may have a good chance to land Persig. If it looks like more of the same, I doubt he signs here.

Saw Persig working out at Anytime Fitness yesterday with his sister wearing Iowa shorts. Not that it means anything but thought I'd share.

He probably got those at the Junior Day he just got back from...

Dont like the line about waiting to see how this season goes, that right there shows the difference from your Olson's or Rallis's, Gjere or even Westerhaus who is just excstatic to represent Minnesota. Really hope we can have a successful season and win a bowl game but I would hope he comes regardless of next season. If he is worried about exposure than he should realize, scouts will see you at Minnesota just as much as Alabama or Ohio State.

Maybe I'm just a little more optimistic, but I'm not as worried about next year. If I were in his shoes, I wouldn't be looking exclusively at wins and losses - I'd be looking at whether the new coaching staff knows what they are doing. Then, if I'm the kind of guy who likes the idea of getting in early on a turnaround, I'd jump in. We all knew he would be looking at the team next year - just not what his criteria will be... Let's hope he likes Kill and company. After all, Reusse and Barreiro do - and who'd of thunk that after their attitudes toward Gopher football the last few years.

It's been a long time since we've seen an outstate Minnesota prospect get this kind of nationwide attention. There are very few outstate prospects in the Rivals era who have received a BCS offer from someone besides us, Iowa, and Wisconsin:

2005 - Paul Backowski, Foley (Colorado)
2004 - Nate Swift, Hutchinson (Nebraska)
2004 - Lydon Murtha, Hutchinson (Nebraska)
2003 - John Carlson, Litchfield (Notre Dame)
2002 - Matt Spaeth, Albertville (Minnesota, offer from Alabama)

The only one of these to commit before the season was Nate Swift, who committed to Nebraska in August 2003. Notice also that Spaeth was the only one to sign with Minnesota, despite all (except Swift) holding Gopher offers.

This type of recruitment might be unprecedented for players from outside the metro, certainly in the Rivals era. I don't know the kid or anything about him, but in my opinion, we may have a chance (albeit slim) if the offers are all contained within the Big Ten. If schools like Alabama, Auburn, etc. come calling, kiss him goodbye.

Don't get me wrong I would love to see him in a Gopher uniform but if he is kind of interested in coming here then I don'twant him. I am with Kill we need players who want to be here.

During Persig's interview, he said that how Minnesota does this year will influence his decision. Over the year's, that kind of statement is not a good sign for the Gopher's landing him. I remember Fitzgerald, Floyd and Henderson saying the same thing. However, what we didn't have for those players was a consistent team. Under Mason, we couldn't hold leads and under Brewster we didn't have an identity. If Kill can field a sound team and show what they're capable of next year, we may have a good chance to land Persig. If it looks like more of the same, I doubt he signs here.

That doesn't scare me as Fitzgerald, Floyd, and Henderson never gave us serious consideration to begin with. It's not a good sign, but he could say worse things.

Top Bottom