Chris Collins - UNC Transfer Commits

So folks are mad that another poster likes this transfer more than other transfers that they liked better?
I mean, considering the fact that Collins is the least likely to make an immediate impact and the most likely to be a depth piece of the 5 transfers we've taken, favoring him over the other guys for no other reason than the fact he played at a P5 and the others didn't, I think that's a pretty good reason to question a particular posters opinion on the transfers we've brought in.

You disagree?

Last edited:

I mean, considering the fact that Collins is the least likely to make an immediate impact and the most likely to be a depth piece of the 5 transfers we've taken, favoring him over the other guys for no other reason than the fact he played at a P5 and the others didn't, I think that's a pretty good reason to question a particular posters opinion on the transfers we've brought in.

You disagree?
That is ALL Spoofy does

Being in NC the last 40 years I can say I hate the Tarheels but get force fed their sports coverage. I believe Collins will be a real contributor for us. He has the tools and has been breaking out the last 2 years. The change of scenery and culture could make him an NFL prospect. I hope I’m right. Besides I trust Rossi and Fleck.
Awesome to hear! Most of us likely know little about him, so this is a great report.

You disagree?
I think the bolded part is an opinion. Lots of good players that can't get PT at bigger schools. Lots of guys that excel at smaller schools that couldn't at a bigger school. In the past, I've seen Gopher fans fall over in excitement when big school players who rode the bench transfer here - what makes this guy different? I don't know yah-E from Adam, but I found the response to him liking this guy quite odd. That's all. I don't know how he will do. Yah-E doesn't know how he will do. You don't know how he will do. I think we need as many new WRs as we can get 🤷‍♂️

That phenomenon is always odd as IMO the more upside is from guys who played well and come up from a "lower level" school than sideways transfers.

Having said that I also think that Portal transfers are varying levels of "roll of the dice" and a fairly high % of the chance you'll hardly ever hear about them again. It's really hard to know what those odds are.
Fleck has a good track record so far of bringing in transfers who start here or at least get substantial playing time.

I think the bolded part is an opinion. Lots of good players that can't get PT at bigger schools. Lots of guys that excel at smaller schools that couldn't at a bigger school. In the past, I've seen Gopher fans fall over in excitement when big school players who rode the bench transfer here - what makes this guy different? I don't know yah-E from Adam, but I found the response to him liking this guy quite odd. That's all. I don't know how he will do. Yah-E doesn't know how he will do. You don't know how he will do. I think we need as many new WRs as we can get 🤷‍♂️
It may be an opinion but I think it's a pretty safe one and if you asked the coaches, i'd bet you a large sum they planning for the other 4 to be immediate contributors with a good chance at being day 1 starters and Collins providing depth. Collins will very likely be rated the lowest of the 5 by the recruiting services that re-rank transfer. Not to say they are the be all end all but I don't exactly think I'm going out on a limb on this one. I think that's pretty close to a board consensus.

As for what makes this different from big school guys who rode the bench, past guys like Carroll or Dylan Wright have been much more highly rated as recruits. They also had better talent in front of them and were younger with more years left than Collins. Or guys like Filiaga and Pinckney actually played at those helmet schools. We essentially already know what Collins is, a backup caliber DE at the P5 level who will be a nice depth piece. And I'd argue we already have a pretty good idea of how good Crooms, Selig and Spencer will perform as well. They already have proven themselves at the FBS level with several performances against the P5 and i'd argue if you are skeptical how they will perform at the Big Ten level then you are overstating the difference between the G5 and P5. Being an All conference player at a G5 very likely translates to at least quality starter at the P5 level.

Now with Henderson, going from a middling FCS conference to the Big Ten is a bigger jump where I think it's fair to question how his game would translate but the reason why I think we have a good chance at that happening is due to the fact that Henderson has a better resume than Gibbens, Baugh and Stapp did, the three other FCS guys we recruited, two of which became quality starters and a third that has shown promise. None of those 3 were ever first team all conference and Henderson was and Henderson also had higher PFF grades than those 3. Also better production as well.

In general with transfers, I do think for most guys, we have a very good idea of the type of players we have on our hands, especially experienced guys at the FBS level, and we have had very few transfers under PJ where they didn't perform close the the level that we expected from them.

Anyways my main point with Yah-E was not that I have a problem with him being more excited about Collins, although I disagree with it, but his reasoning behind it. I think had he been more specific about Collin's game and production relative to the others, he'd have a better case but he cited nothing more than the fact that he is a P5 transfer and the others are not. There have been times i have been more excited about P5 transfers over more experienced guys at lower levels but it was not solely because of the levels they played at.

It may be an opinion but I think it's a pretty safe one and if you asked the coaches, i'd bet you a large sum they planning for the other 4 to be immediate contributors with a good chance at being day 1 starters and Collins providing depth. Collins will very likely be rated the lowest of the 5 by the recruiting services that re-rank transfer. Not to say they are the be all end all but I don't exactly think I'm going out on a limb on this one. I think that's pretty close to a board consensus.

As for what makes this different from big school guys who rode the bench, past guys like Carroll or Dylan Wright have been much more highly rated as recruits. They also had better talent in front of them and were younger with more years left than Collins. Or guys like Filiaga and Pinckney actually played at those helmet schools. We essentially already know what Collins is, a backup caliber DE at the P5 level who will be a nice depth piece. And I'd argue we already have a pretty good idea of how good Crooms, Selig and Spencer will perform as well. They already have proven themselves at the FBS level with several performances against the P5 and i'd argue if you are skeptical how they will perform at the Big Ten level then you are overstating the difference between the G5 and P5. Being an All conference player at a G5 very likely translates to at least quality starter at the P5 level.

Now with Henderson, going from a middling FCS conference to the Big Ten is a bigger jump where I think it's fair to question how his game would translate but the reason why I think we have a good chance at that happening is due to the fact that Henderson has a better resume than Gibbens, Baugh and Stapp did, the three other FCS guys we recruited, two of which became quality starters and a third that has shown promise. None of those 3 were ever first team all conference and Henderson was and Henderson also had higher PFF grades than those 3. Also better production as well.

In general with transfers, I do think for most guys, we have a very good idea of the type of players we have on our hands, especially experienced guys at the FBS level, and we have had very few transfers under PJ where they didn't perform close the the level that we expected from them.

Anyways my main point with Yah-E was not that I have a problem with him being more excited about Collins, although I disagree with it, but his reasoning behind it. I think had he been more specific about Collin's game and production relative to the others, he'd have a better case but he cited nothing more than the fact that he is a P5 transfer and the others are not. There have been times i have been more excited about P5 transfers over more experienced guys at lower levels but it was not solely because of the levels they played at.
I understand not being impressed by a P5 transfer simply because he was P5 transfer, but you lost me totally be throwing in recruiting rankings twice. Ish.

If I had to pick a transfer that will make the least impact I might actually say Henderson.

If I had to pick a transfer that will make the least impact I might actually say Henderson.
Henderson has a clear path to PT with the Dixon transfer. He was brought in specifically to replace him. Only competition for that spot is Stapp/Bishop but one of them will be manning the other corner spot and neither have the size that Henderson or Dixon previously had.

Henderson has a clear path to PT with the Dixon transfer. He was brought in specifically to replace him. Only competition for that spot is Stapp/Bishop but one of them will be manning the other corner spot and neither have the size that Henderson or Dixon previously had.
Maybe all will have a huge impact. Just my guess if one makes less of an impact it's Henderson.

Collins played what Mack Brown calls the “Jack.” A stand up edge that will drop back into coverage. That takes serious skill in his D.
It’s pretty similar to what Thomas rush did for us this year.

Collins will be a nice fit because our other DEs are more traditional and this will allow us to keep mixing things up on third down.

Top Bottom