Chris Autman-Bell did not suffer a long-term injury and was described as "week to week"

I'll take this as good news, albeit with the note that the Gophers have been super secret about injuries so ... never know.

Hoping for a speedy recovery, good luck to the young man.

I would take week to week as a sign that he is probably not going to play in the opener but as long as it wasn't anything season ending it has to be seen as a good thing even if it does mean he is on the shelf for a bit. Time for one of the young guys to step up and show what they can do in his absence.

I would take week to week as a sign that he is probably not going to play in the opener but as long as it wasn't anything season ending it has to be seen as a good thing even if it does mean he is on the shelf for a bit. Time for one of the young guys to step up and show what they can do in his absence.

He could be out 6 weeks or he may be 100% right now- that's how i'd interpret it knowing how Fleck discloses injuries.

He could be out 6 weeks or he may be 100% right now- that's how i'd interpret it knowing how Fleck discloses injuries.
yep. Although I think it if was something season ending like an ACL they would have said so. Beyond that the specifics will be tough to come by.

Finally, regarding the sharing of information with the media, this issue is clear-cut. Under HIPAA, personal health information can be provided to sports information staff or the media only with authorization from the athlete (Magee et al., 2003).

Solutions

Any sport entity that is covered under HIPAA needs to review its existing practices, policies, and procedures. Relationships with other businesses also will need to be reviewed as they fall under HIPAA guidelines. Utilizing experienced legal counsel to determine status under HIPAA and also to recommend authorization forms, privacy notices, and business-associate contracts is recommended (Kibbe, 2005).

One way that some schools are fulfilling the authorization constraint is by requiring athletes to sign authorization forms in order to participate in athletics. Signing the form is mandatory if the student-athlete wants to participate in athletics. Surprisingly, HHS approved this measure (Hill, 2003). Other schools that have not implemented such a policy suggest always getting permission from athletes when reporting to the media. Even when an athlete has consented to the sharing of information with one media outlet, consent should be given for each media entity that subsequently becomes involved.

Schools choosing to opt for signed consent and authorization should ensure that their forms meet the requirements of HIPAA. Authorization forms should contain a statement about what information will be shared and with whom and for how long; moreover, the form must have an expiration date. The form should be specific about who may disclose the information and about what information may be disclosed and to whom. The form also should state that the athlete cannot be denied treatment for refusing to sign and that, if information is disclosed to a non-covered entity, it may no longer be protected under HIPAA. The form also needs to contain a statement that an athlete has a right to revoke authorization at any time (Hill, 2003).

Top Bottom