Chris Allen to enroll at Iowa State

:) thats me. and to little birdie, ncaa sanctions or player problems are not far away for ISU, how does it feel knowing that the fate of having a good team lands on a transfer from PSU, a criminal who would not follow Tubby smith's rules and therefore transferred presumeably to the only other place that would have him, a player that was the only player tom izzo, the greatest coach currently in the ncaa has EVER kicked off a team, and a couple players that wont even be eligible such as godfrey. might i add if tom izzo cant bring out the best in ones character, no one will. you are now the laughing stock of the ncaa, hell even illinois fans were making fun of you today. Even if you did win next year no one will care because youre tainted, just like kentucky

And i hate to be a d^ck, but talking about clem haskins, joe coleman, and royce white here doesnt make me like you anymore, i really wasnt even trying to start anything either, i was just telling the guy no one cares about isus 2011 lineup, what if i went on CF and started talking about our lineup? its just not the place to do it.

And i hate to be a d^ck, but talking about clem haskins, joe coleman, and royce white here doesnt make me like you anymore, i really wasnt even trying to start anything either, i was just telling the guy no one cares about isus 2011 lineup, what if i went on CF and started talking about our lineup? its just not the place to do it.

Well, just so you are aware, the threads that have led to ISU discussion here lately have been started by Gopher fans. It isn't like someone came here and started a thread solelyis board, about ISU's 2011 lineup. If there were threads started on CF about Minnesota and you chimed in with the Gophers 2011 lineup after ISU fans started trashing your school (like has happened in nearly all the threads that pertain to ISU, Gopher fans start trashing ISU), it would be considered completely acceptable to me. If he had started a thread just to talk about ISU out of the blue, then you would have a point and I would agree wholeheartedly that it does not belong here.

you know kansas will offer, even if they offered the spring of his senior year he would commit there, at least ive heard he was very high on them.

Actually, KU wants Nino Jackson as their point guard in the 2012 class. They evaluated Paige and Johnson during the summer very closely and offered Jackson at the end of the summer and have not yet offered Paige. Jackson is their choice and if he picks KU, Paige will not get a KU offer.

And I highly doubt that Paige will wait and be a spring signee either, but you were probably just being facetious.

The bottom line is that if Minnesota is competing with Iowa State for recruits on any sort of regular basis, our program is nowhere near where it needs to be.

If Gophers regularly out-recruit Big 12 teams, they'll be OK.

Beat Florida for Iverson. Kentucky and ACC schools for Sampson. Texas and Kansas for Devoe. Big East schools for Mo Walker.

Iowa State stuff is interesting to me as a Gopher fan. They are attempting to recruit many of the same players. They are close in proximity. Hoiberg as a coach is intriguing...will he be successful or flame out? Royce may play there. Etc. All that and more make ISU interesting to me as a Gopher fan.

The bottom line is that if Minnesota is competing with Iowa State for recruits on any sort of regular basis, our program is nowhere near where it needs to be.

If you can't show more respect, consider showing more knowledge. ISU is in what is currently the best basketball conference. ISU has won 2 B12 titles in the last 10 years. Unfortunately we made a bad hire in McDermott, ala Minnesota's hiring of Monson. A successful mid-major coach that couldn't get over the hump at the next level. The last time we were in the NCAA tournament, ISU beat the Gophers. We have split the last two times we've played in the regular season (nonconference). I have followed both programs and they have been on similar paths for a whlle now ala Football.

HAHAHA. HAHA B12 best basketball conference? wrong. that just lost you all creditbility

I just went on ESPN to see if the list of teams in the Big 12 had changed recently.

There you go again showing a lack of knowledge. Don't take my word for it...

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_conf_Men.html

How's my credibility now?

Sound of crickets in the background........

People forget that Kansas State, Texas A$M, Missouri, Oklahoma St., Baylor, etc. are good programs. 7 of the Big 12 teams had 22 or more victories last year. Another had 19. Very good basketball conference. Sure there are some bottom feeders, but every conference has those.

Sound of crickets in the background........

People forget that Kansas State, Texas A$M, Missouri, Oklahoma St., Baylor, etc. are good programs. 7 of the Big 12 teams had 22 or more victories last year. Another had 19. Very good basketball conference. Sure there are some bottom feeders, but every conference has those.
And our worst two historically are leaving the league. One for the Big Ten. Big Ten will now have two schools that have never won an NCAA game. The ten team Big 12 will be the toughest league top to bottom in the country.

b12 doesn't get the same media-fellatio as the big east, but I said going into last season that they were the best basketball conference in the country (for that year) ... the rpi seems to bear that out. If you turn off ESPN once in a while, and instead look at what their teams do in the dance, you will find out that even if they aren't the best, they're right there near the top.

Best conference is cyclical. No point in arguing about it. Both the Big 10 and Big 12 have had their highs and lows. Big 12 will be down a bit this year (on paper) but beyond that who knows?

If you follow RPI ratings at all, the Big 12 has been ranked on average at 3.7 over the last 10 years. In comparison, the Big 10 sits at 4.3. Little difference to say the least, but to say that it isn't a strong basketball conference just shows that you are clueless.

In a complete hypothetical situation, if you were to remove Colorado and Nebraska from the conference last year, the conference had the highest RPI rating of any conference since 2003.

im not saying its bad, just that its not the BEST. b12 basketball is and will always be kansas. UT has crappy coaching and they recruit talent but talent leaves for the nba. Baylor is getting better but after they lose tweety and jones i think they wont be a powerhouse in the b12. ksu is good, but getting worse. a&m is good every couple of years. next year i dont think anyone can deny the b10 is the best conference in the nation, and if you dont think so you should quit watching college basketball.

Texas A&M is good every couple years? They've been to five straight NCAA tournaments (under two different coaches), never losing in the 1st round of the tournament. A lot of programs would like to have those numbers.

I agree it could be a banner season for the Big Ten in 2010-11, but let's not annoint our favorite league the best for 10-11 without any games having been played. That's why we play the games.

In my opinion, using recent history as a guide (since 2000), among the Big Six conferences the ACC is clearly the #1 conference. Hard to argue with 5 national championships in 11 years.

The Big East & Big 10 both could make a case for being #2. I'd have the Big 12 #4, the SEC #5 and the Pac 10 a clear #6.

Texas A&M is good every couple years? They've been to five straight NCAA tournaments (under two different coaches), never losing in the 1st round of the tournament. A lot of programs would like to have those numbers.

I agree it could be a banner season for the Big Ten in 2010-11, but let's not annoint our favorite league the best for 10-11 without any games having been played. That's why we play the games.

In my opinion, using recent history as a guide (since 2000), among the Big Six conferences the ACC is clearly the #1 conference. Hard to argue with 5 national championships in 11 years.

The Big East & Big 10 both could make a case for being #2. I'd have the Big 12 #4, the SEC #5 and the Pac 10 a clear #6.

The RPI ratings over that time span would definitely disagree with you.

Big 10 vs. Big 12 since 2000

"The RPI ratings over that time span would definitely disagree with you."

You are correct. The Big 12 does have an edge over the Big Ten in the RPI ratings since 2000, though the margin is close. Here's what I came up with after comparing the two conferences since Jan. 1, 2000. I use 7 criteria when assessing a conference's strength: (1) Average Conference Rank; (2) Record vs. NCAA Qualifiers; (3) NCAA Tournament Winning Percentage; (4) NCAA Tournament Appearances; (5) Final Four Appearances; (6) Runners-Up Finishes; and (7) National Championships.

Average Conference RPI Ranking (source: CollegeRPI.com)
Big 10: 4.0
Big 12: 3.64
Edge: Big 12

Record vs. NCAA Qualifiers
Big 10: 631-990, .3892%
Big 12: 627-995, .3865%
Edge: Big 10

NCAA Tournament Winning Percentage
Big 10: 92-58, .6133%
Big 12: 97-60, .6178%

NCAA Tournament Appearances
Big 10: 59
Big 12: 61

Final Four Appearances
Big 10: 9 (Michigan State-5, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio State, Wisconsin)
Big 12: 6 (Kansas-3, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas)

National Runners-Up
Big 10: 4 (Illinois, Indiana, Michigan State, Ohio State)
Big 12: 1 (Kansas)

National Championships
Big 10: 1 (Michigan State)
Big 12: 1 (Kansas)
Edge: Push

Final Tally: 3-3-1 (push)

Miscellaneous
Head to Head in NCAA Tournament: Big Ten leads 9-7

2000: MSU over Iowa State; Purdue over Oklahoma
2001: Illinois over KU
2002: Indiana over Oklahoma, KU over Illinois, Mizzou over OSU
2003: MSU over Colorado, Texas over MSU, Texas over Purdue
2005: Iowa State over Gophers
2008: Purdue over Baylor, Wisconsin over K-State
2009: MSU over KU, OU over Michigan, Texas over Gophers
2010: Purdue over A&M

Head to Head in Regular Season (later): ???

See, all these numbers are great and what not as far as showing strengths of the leagues over the years, but they fail to take into consideration that the Big 12 will be getting rid of our two biggest dead weights in Nebraska and Colorado and the Big Ten ADDS the Huskers. Even with those two, the Big 12 has been right there statistically but without them and with the Big Ten adding Nebraska, the pendulum swings heavily in the Big 12s favor.

im not saying its bad, just that its not the BEST. b12 basketball is and will always be kansas. UT has crappy coaching and they recruit talent but talent leaves for the nba. Baylor is getting better but after they lose tweety and jones i think they wont be a powerhouse in the b12. ksu is good, but getting worse. a&m is good every couple of years. next year i dont think anyone can deny the b10 is the best conference in the nation, and if you dont think so you should quit watching college basketball.

You do realize that Baylor just got a verbal from the #2 prospect in the class of 2012 last week right? Not to mention that they also have a five star power forward coming in this year.

KSU is good but getting worse? Well, maybe because they were a top 5 team last year for the most part, but worse may mean only being top 25.

KU basketball has owned the league titles most certainly, but of the ten remaining Big 12 teams, I believe every one of them has made the Elite Eight this decade. Name one other league that can say that.

The Big Ten will be the best conference this year IMO. But as soon as they add Nebraska and the Big 12 loses CU and NU, there will be no contest IMO.

yea there will be, MSU in my opinion is the best program in the country lately save for duke and...? no one else. Purdue is getting wayy better like top 10 team better, illinois is getting better, wisky is always pretty good, OSU recruits like kentucky so they are always good, NW is a legit team, indiana will be better with a monster 2012 class, gophs are making the tourney every year now, michigan is getting its recruits again. and yes i know about baylor, but 1 player doesnt make the team good they will lose their backcourt and perry jones by the time they get austin. im sorry but just because you got rid of the worst teams doesnt make you the best conference, in my opinion all b12 teams are overrated look at kansas last year and texas every year... i know your a homer but b12 is behind ACC, big east and big ten. it just is.

What I learned after comparing the two conferences didn't surprise me. Using the last 11 seasons as a guide, there's not a heck of a lot of difference between the Big 10 and Big 12. An argument certainly could be made for either one that they belong just behind the ACC (and probably the Big East) as the next best conference.

I agree with FarmerClone that losing Colorado and Nebraska will help Big 12 basketball significantly. That's getting rid of some serious dead weight. However, I would respectfully disagree that simply adding Nebraska to the Big Ten will swing the pendulum heavily in the Big 12's favor.

Wow. You can't be this delusional.

I'd think that Iowa St. adding Allen could help the Gophers in the Joe Coleman battle. I'd see Allen as likely to take minutes away from Coleman in 2011-12.

Top Bottom