Chip: Kevin Warren, Big Ten bosses fumbled everything but the decision itself

So you have no clue if he did or not, therefore you'll assume he didn't.

I appreciate you telling me what I will do. This isn’t a court of law, where you’re innocent until proven guilty. This is much more akin to a civil jury, where you need to determine what’s most likely. In this case, a father working a high powered, high paying, high profile job likely has more influence on his children than your typical parent. If he feels as strongly as you’d expect him to feel, that would be quite an act of rebellion to recklessly endanger his future just for some football if it was about keeping kids safe... However if he’s making the decision purely on legal liability, that’s a different dynamic altogether.

I appreciate you telling me what I will do. This isn’t a court of law, where you’re innocent until proven guilty. This is much more akin to a civil jury, where you need to determine what’s most likely. In this case, a father working a high powered, high paying, high profile job likely has more influence on his children than your typical parent. If he feels as strongly as you’d expect him to feel, that would be quite an act of rebellion to recklessly endanger his future just for some football if it was about keeping kids safe... However if he’s making the decision purely on legal liability, that’s a different dynamic altogether.
It was never, and still isn't, "his" decision. He's merely the PR guy for the decision made by the presidents. "His motivations" isn't a thing.

Surely, you understand this simple truth?

He literally can't take away that decision from his son though. That is not his decision.

You are claiming he has the ability to take away his sons option to play....HE DOESN'T!

How can you not separate the two?

You're right, he doesn't have the ability to take the option away from his son.

But the optics are still poor. Warren is taking the decision way from other parents adult son's, while his son still gets to make his own decision.

MplsGopher - Source for implying Warren told his son not to play.

You're right, he doesn't have the ability to take the option away from his son.

But the optics are still poor. Warren is taking the decision way from other parents adult son's, while his son still gets to make his own decision.
Propping up the lie as an act of trolling.

That's all you and your bitter cadre have.

Kevin dorked it up / should have had everyone on the same page.

BUT

At the same time Nebraska and to a lesser extent Penn St. should have had their presidents and ADs on the same damn page too .... those people should be adults enough to communicate first before going out of bounds with their comments.

Lots of bad choices on display.

Warren should be fired and replaced! He has fumbled this from the very beginning. This guy is not the leader the B1G needs and this process has shown that. The league has never been more split than it is now, and warren is a big reason.

warren feels its so unsafe for B1G football but not so unsafe that he lets his own son play football in the SEC.
His son is over 18, he can't do anything about it.

"Could influence" Yeah, absolutely.....

big difference between "can control". Families do not run on controlling each other.

You are running on the assumption that Kevin Warren can just make the decision for his adult child to not play football...thats not how it works, and thats not how families work.

Again, he's not "letting his son play". whether his son plays or not, is not Kevin Warren's decision.
I never said that Kevin Warren "can make" his son quit football. See that's the beauty of a commissioner not shutting down an entire conference of football at this stage of the game. Kevin Warren and his family can come to a decision based on whether or not his son wants to play with support or non support of his family. On the other hand, Kevin Warren just shut down BIG football and didn't give any player and his family the ability to come to their own decision. If you cant see the hypocrisy of this then one of us is certainly tone deaf to the the situation that has unfolded.

Why are you continuing to prop up the disproven lie that Warren unilaterally shut a whole conference down? Presidents and boards made that decision.

It's not silly, it's a lie. Stop lying.
Please show me which way each school president voted and just what they voted on? We already know that it was first reported as a 12-2 decision to shut it down. Then it came out that the vote was 8-6. The facts are, we don't know the facts, but Warren is commissioner of the BIG and the spokesperson for the conference. So yes, I believe he had a great influence eon the decision that was made.

Please show me which way each school president voted and just what they voted on? We already know that it was first reported as a 12-2 decision to shut it down. Then it came out that the vote was 8-6. The facts are, we don't know the facts, but Warren is commissioner of the BIG and the spokesperson for the conference. So yes, I believe he had a great influence eon the decision that was made.
That entirely and completely changes what was said. “Warren made the decision” is a lie. He of course didn’t. “Warren influenced the decision” is completely different.

He probably had more than zero influence, on specific topics (for example, on predicting how other conferences would react and what their current sentiments were).

Lot of people crawling out of woodwork to lash out at him.

Just have to wonder if the color of his skin has something to do with that. Sad, if so.

Yep, skin color is possibly involved in this. If Warren was white, one could speculate that the calls for his dismissal would be 3x what they are now. Sad, if so.

I've heard Warren interviewed a number of times during his stint with the Vikings. he certainly comes off as a very intelligent, thoughtful person. he has also had a very successful legal career before working for three different NFL Teams.

but, I will say this (and this is based strictly on hearing him interviewed on multiple occasions);

Warren appears to be a very soft-spoken individual. I get the sense that he prefers to work behind the scenes - a consensus builder. He does not seem like the kind of person who walks in the room and tells other people what to do.

Based on that, I think the role of "front man" for the conference is going to be his biggest challenge. I suspect he would rather step back and let other people take the limelight. I also suspect he has learned a lot from this situation.

Oh, and BTW, he was a heck of a basketball player in college. Averaged over 20 ppg his senior year with a high game of 42 points. This comes after he was seriously injured in a traffic accident as a child - and was told by doctors he would likely not be able to take part in sports.

Just have to wonder if the color of his skin has something to do with that. Sad, if so.

you have to be a miserable person and I’m sure your friends are embarrassed for you. You bring race into multiple different discussions if they criticized Warren.

He is faced with an unforeseen and unprecedented situation in his first 6 months on the job. Did he handle it perfectly? Probably not. Does he deserve to be "fired"? Of course not. People are just angry there's no football and want someone to blame.

He just shut down an entire conference yet lets his son play for an SEC school and you don't see the problem here? Im sorry that you don't see how that wouldn't play well. And yes, I believe Warren could influence his son, that's how families work.
Wasn't it really the presidents of the universities that shut down the conference? I'm not saying Warren hasn't looked bad here but it wasn't his decision.

Wasn't it really the presidents of the universities that shut down the conference? I'm not saying Warren hasn't looked bad here but it wasn't his decision.

I think it would have been helpful if Warren would have recused himself. Warren may or may not have had much influence in the final decision, but would have been a little easier pill to swallow for big10 parents/players if he was not involved.

I think it would have been helpful if Warren would have recused himself. Warren may or may not have had much influence in the final decision, but would have been a little easier pill to swallow for big10 parents/players if he was not involved.
Isn't it his job to be involved?

Isn't it his job to be involved?

Just think in this case discretion would have been the better part of valor. For example on the osu board he is getting eviscerated. Would have been helpful to remove this issue imo.

Just think in this case discretion would have been the better part of valor. For example on the osu board he is getting eviscerated. Would have been helpful to remove this issue imo.
He definitely hasn't handled it well from a PR standpoint.

Speaking of ohio state, would our board look like ohio state's board if we were contending for a natty? Would it maybe even be different if bateman were still playing?

He literally can't take away that decision from his son though. That is not his decision.

You are claiming he has the ability to take away his sons option to play....HE DOESN'T!

How can you not separate the two?
If Warren sat his kid down and explained that he is really worried about his kids health and that he would very much like him to sit out this season. His son would sit out. My guess is Warren is letting his kid decide for himself(which is all big ten parents want for there kid). If you don't see the hypocrisy in his decision then your turning a blind eye.

I've heard Warren interviewed a number of times during his stint with the Vikings. he certainly comes off as a very intelligent, thoughtful person. he has also had a very successful legal career before working for three different NFL Teams.

but, I will say this (and this is based strictly on hearing him interviewed on multiple occasions);

Warren appears to be a very soft-spoken individual. I get the sense that he prefers to work behind the scenes - a consensus builder. He does not seem like the kind of person who walks in the room and tells other people what to do.

Based on that, I think the role of "front man" for the conference is going to be his biggest challenge. I suspect he would rather step back and let other people take the limelight. I also suspect he has learned a lot from this situation.

Oh, and BTW, he was a heck of a basketball player in college. Averaged over 20 ppg his senior year with a high game of 42 points. This comes after he was seriously injured in a traffic accident as a child - and was told by doctors he would likely not be able to take part in sports.
I just wanted to say you've made a lot of well-reasoned posts the past few days. I've enjoyed reading them as they've been a breath of fresh air in the midst of...not so fresh air :) Keep it up!

Check your dictionary for the “P” for Peter Principle and you will find Kevin Warren’s picture. I don’t care what his skin color is. For me his skin color is yellow because he didn ‘t answer the various questions.

Clown statement right here. He made the right decision for conf that cares about litigation.

I believe 13 of the 14 schools in the B1G are State run institutions, which would mean I do believe the public has a right to know exactly what transpired during this process. I haven't dug deep enough into it to know if this would fall under the "Sunshine Laws" or not but I would be very surprised if it did not.

At this point, it's hard to not think that they B1G has lied to everyone from the beginning of this, regardless of your perspective

I believe 13 of the 14 schools in the B1G are State run institutions, which would mean I do believe the public has a right to know exactly what transpired during this process. I haven't dug deep enough into it to know if this would fall under the "Sunshine Laws" or not but I would be very surprised if it did not.

At this point, it's hard to not think that they B1G has lied to everyone from the beginning of this, regardless of your perspective
It hasn't been handled well, that is for sure.

I guess my point is Warren seems to be getting much of the blame when it really wasn't his decision.

Top Bottom