Chip: Kevin Warren, Big Ten bosses fumbled everything but the decision itself

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

Frustration over the Big Ten’s handling of this process is understandable. People have been living in limbo since March. The Big Ten gave everyone hope — false hope as it turns out — by releasing a football schedule and allowing teams to start practicing under detailed health and testing protocols, only to shift abruptly six days later.

The fact that Warren initially offered vague corporate soundbites and not specific answers about what changed in that short span added to the confusion that quickly turned to anger. Warren provided more detail and insight in his letter, but that will probably do little to appease those angered by this decision.

Warren’s communication whiff shouldn’t obscure the overarching point, though. The uncertainty with health risks made postponement the safest choice, a decision that will cost individual athletic department tens of millions in lost revenue.

This was a last resort, an outcome nobody wanted. But without more firm answers and assurances from medical experts, I don’t fault the league for choosing this path.

Go Gophers!!

Warren should be fired and replaced! He has fumbled this from the very beginning. This guy is not the leader the B1G needs and this process has shown that. The league has never been more split than it is now, and warren is a big reason.

warren feels its so unsafe for B1G football but not so unsafe that he lets his own son play football in the SEC.

Lot of people crawling out of woodwork to lash out at him.

Just have to wonder if the color of his skin has something to do with that. Sad, if so.

Warren should be fired and replaced! He has fumbled this from the very beginning. This guy is not the leader the B1G needs and this process has shown that. The league has never been more split than it is now, and warren is a big reason.

warren feels its so unsafe for B1G football but not so unsafe that he lets his own son play football in the SEC.

Completely disagree. The right call was made. However, I would like to see some of the emboldened coaches leave the conference.

Completely disagree. The right call was made. However, I would like to see some of the emboldened coaches leave the conference.

What is an “emboldened coach”. Cripes kid, there is room for disagreement and dialogue. There is an absence of data right now. If the incidence of myocarditis is actually as high as they’re implying that’s concerning. Let’s see their data. I have no idea why they’re holding back. It would quell a lot of the criticism.

"Lets his son play"? His son is an adult, and Warren is not in charge of him. He is however, to a large extent, in charge of the Big Ten.

"Letting his son play" and shutting down the Big Ten are not related in any way.

"Lets his son play"? His son is an adult, and Warren is not in charge of him. He is however, to a large extent, in charge of the Big Ten.

"Letting his son play" and shutting down the Big Ten are not related in any way.

You are right in that the decision made for the B1G was 100% driven by fear of legal liability. If the decision is based on the inability to keep student athletes safe... there is a serious disconnect in not asking your kid to elect out if it’s really that dangerous.

The guy has been on the job for less than a year, during a pandemic nonetheless, and then had to lead the conference through the process of determining whether or not to cancel the season. You could not pick a more difficult start to the commissioner job if you tried, so all things considered I think he's done an okay job.

I just couldn't disagree with statement any more than I already do. What a tone deaf statement.

You are right in that the decision made for the B1G was 100% driven by fear of legal liability. If the decision is based on the inability to keep student athletes safe... there is a serious disconnect in not asking your kid to elect out if it’s really that dangerous.
Do you know whether or not he asked his kid to not play? Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. Either way, its not Kevin Warren's job to make decisions for his adult child, and his decision to shut down the fall season is in no way related to his adult child playing in the SEC

I just couldn't disagree with statement any more than I already do. What a tone deaf statement.
In what world is that tone deaf? You think Kevin Warren has the ability to run his adult child's life? Tone deaf would be claiming that Warren is "allowing" his adult child to play in the SEC. Even if Kevin was slamming his fists on the table, telling his son to not play, its not Kevin's decision.

Lot of people crawling out of woodwork to lash out at him.

Just have to wonder if the color of his skin has something to do with that. Sad, if so.

I think both are true: Warren’s race sets off many and his refusal to provide transparency in the league’s decision the past 8 days lends many to distrust him.

What is an “emboldened coach”. Cripes kid, there is room for disagreement and dialogue. There is an absence of data right now. If the incidence of myocarditis is actually as high as they’re implying that’s concerning. Let’s see their data. I have no idea why they’re holding back. It would quell a lot of the criticism.

Threatening to take your marbles and play outside the conference is more than disagreement and dialogue. I understand the disappointment but some of these coaches are too much.

In what world is that tone deaf? You think Kevin Warren has the ability to run his adult child's life? Tone deaf would be claiming that Warren is "allowing" his adult child to play in the SEC. Even if Kevin was slamming his fists on the table, telling his son to not play, its not Kevin's decision.
He just shut down an entire conference yet lets his son play for an SEC school and you don't see the problem here? Im sorry that you don't see how that wouldn't play well. And yes, I believe Warren could influence his son, that's how families work.

He just shut down an entire conference yet lets his son play for an SEC school and you don't see the problem here? Im sorry that you don't see how that wouldn't play well. And yes, I believe Warren could influence his son, that's how families work.
"Could influence" Yeah, absolutely.....

big difference between "can control". Families do not run on controlling each other.

You are running on the assumption that Kevin Warren can just make the decision for his adult child to not play football...thats not how it works, and thats not how families work.

Again, he's not "letting his son play". whether his son plays or not, is not Kevin Warren's decision.

Last edited:

I think both are true: Warren’s race sets off many and his refusal to provide transparency in the league’s decision the past 8 days lends many to distrust him.

I have endless respect for a lot of leaders who happen to be black. I do not blame Warren for the decision, it was not his. Beyond that, he has been a failure as a leader and face of the Big Ten.

Some of his key roles are to communicate effectively and inspire confidence and he failed miserably in those roles. Based on what I saw, he is not up to the job. Jim Delaney in year one might have not been so great either, but this was not a good start. Jim Delaney in his prime never would have bungled it like Warren did. He may be better in some of the other key roles, but his first test by fire ended with a D- grade, black or white.

I was wondering when some clown would play the race card against anyone who dared to question Kevin Warren and it did not take long.

Last edited:

"Could influence" Yeah, absolutely.....

big difference between "can control". Families do not run on controlling each other.

You are running on the assumption that Kevin Warren can just make the decision for his adult child to not play football...thats not how it works, and thats not how families work.

Again, he's not "letting his son play". whether his son plays or not, is not Kevin Warren's decision.

I never liked this whole " Kevin Warren let his son play" BS either. Either an 18 year old is an adult or they are not. My dad could not have stopped me from playing football at age 18, and he never would have tried.

Good for K. Warren in this family matter.

I have endless respect for a lot of leaders who happen to be black. I do not blame Warren for the decision, it was not his. Beyond that, he has been a failure as a leader and face of the Big Ten.

Some of his key roles are to communicate effectively and inspire confidence and he failed miserably in those roles. Based on what I saw, he is not up to the job. Jim Delaney in year one might have not been so great either, but this was not a good start. Jim Delaney in his prime never would have bungled it like Warren did. He may be better in some of the other key roles, but his first test by fire ended with a D- grade, black or white.

I was wondering when some clown would play the race card against anyone who dared to question Kevin Warren and it did not take long.

The skill sets and career paths of Delaney and Warren are dramatically different. There is no substitute for life experience.

I never liked this whole " Kevin Warren let his son play" BS either. Either an 18 year old is an adult or they are not. My dad could not have stopped me from playing football at age 18, and he never would have tried.

Good for K. Warren in this family matter.
Yeah, it looks like you and I disagree with whether or not Warren is fit to run the conference, but I'm happy to see that someone on the other side can see through the complete BS of the idiom that Kevin Warren is "allowing his son to play".

I also strongly dislike that people are just assuming Kevin didn't give his input on the subject to his son....maybe he did, maybe he didn't. Bottom line is its not Kevin's decision. There is no relationship between Kevin shutting down the fall season for the BIG TEN, and his son (maybe?) playing in the SEC.

Do you know whether or not he asked his kid to not play? Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. Either way, its not Kevin Warren's job to make decisions for his adult child, and his decision to shut down the fall season is in no way related to his adult child playing in the SEC
The two are VERY much related to one another. Warren is bascially saying he doesn't trust BigTen athletes' ability to judge for themselves if it's worth the risks to play. But his own son should be able to decide for himself. If he takes away the whole conferences option to play he should also take away his sons option. At least that would send a clearer message

The two are VERY much related to one another. Warren is bascially saying he doesn't trust BigTen athletes' ability to judge for themselves if it's worth the risks to play. But his own son should be able to decide for himself. If he takes away the whole conferences option to play he should also take away his sons option. At least that would send a clearer message
He literally can't take away that decision from his son though. That is not his decision.

You are claiming he has the ability to take away his sons option to play....HE DOESN'T!

How can you not separate the two?

Last edited:

Yeah, it looks like you and I disagree with whether or not Warren is fit to run the conference, but I'm happy to see that someone on the other side can see through the complete BS of the idiom that Kevin Warren is "allowing his son to play".

I also strongly dislike that people are just assuming Kevin didn't give his input on the subject to his son....maybe he did, maybe he didn't. Bottom line is its not Kevin's decision. There is no relationship between Kevin shutting down the fall season for the BIG TEN, and his son (maybe?) playing in the SEC.

I am not sure on whether or not he is fit to run the conference, but he did not do well on this first test.

Now, he was facing and continues to face a horrible financial, and PR mess that Jim Delaney or no other Commissioner ever had to face, so I am giving him a bit of a pass. I am not sure anyone else would have done much better in year one, but Warren was not good last week, or this week.

My point was that he failed on the roles of communication and inspiring confidence in the leadership of the Big Ten. He may well end up being a great leader after this all passes, I have no idea. He might also be a fine example of the "Peter Principle".

I had my doubts about Warren due to his role as a behind the scenes executive , albeit, in a NFL Team environment, and how that differs from a P5 Commissioner role. I think dealing with the NFL owners is a lot easier than dealing with the Big Ten Regents and Presidents, and Warren had no idea what he walked into.

Delaney probably would have done the same thing Warren did, since he would have seen the writing on the wall, but he would have presented it in a much better way, and he also had the advantage of his credibility with the audience.

Last edited:

My parents stayed the hell out of my HS and College athletic decisions(and other topics unless I asked for input), day to day and big picture and I will respect them to the day I go the grave for that.

Warren did ask his son not to play, and his son did not listen.

Prove me wrong.

Why are you continuing to prop up the disproven lie that Warren unilaterally shut a whole conference down? Presidents and boards made that decision.

It's not silly, it's a lie. Stop lying.

Top Bottom