Chip at Point Guard

Maverick actually played decent tonight. I agree that Chip would make a good name for himself if he figured out how to handle the ball, but he really seems like a Lawrence Westbrook at PG to me. I e risky.

Chip can be/is a combo guard. He has the ability to score like a traditional 2 guard but can also slash to the basket and create opportunities for his teammates. I would be fine with him running the point. Another plus is he can finish at the rim and hit the jumpshot unlike Al. Watching tonights (MN vs Michigan) game I thought there was more flow to the offense when Al nolen was not in the game. The one negative is that Chip needs to put in about 1000 hours of repetition at the charity stripe.

I agree that free throw demonstration needs to be worked on. However this kids athletic ability and his will to get to the rim is astounding. I don't know if he can be a B10 point guard but I think if he works hard enough he can. My dad and his friends( who are 60-64 years old) keeping talking about Newbern who came in as a raw athlete but ultimately ended up as one of the Gophers great point guards. I know everyone wants to talk about number 32s raw athletic ability but how about Chips, the kid has a flat out burst that we have not seen in a while. Whether that translates in to being able to play the point I do not know. I do this kid is going to win us some games this season and down the line.

Top Bottom