Chip at Point Guard

Reaction score
I'd love to see Chip Armelin at point next year. At 6'3'' he has good size, he is quick, and has an uncanny ability to finish at the basket. I hope "point guard" is in his future and he works hard at ball-handing and a 3-point shot. I thought we were going to have a peek at his point guard play a couple of games ago ( my memory escapes me...alot!) ...didn't happen. I keep anticipating.

His ball handling isn't anywhere near PG capable at this point in time.

Well - Chip has talent - a lot of it. Can he play the point? I guess only Tubby and the staff knows. He certainly has the aggressive attitude to play the point, but as you say, can he protect the ball enough? Big Q. All of the options for next year will be interesting to see how it all plays out, including and not forgetting about Andre Hollins, who could make this discussion a mute point.

The way Mav plays the point, I wouldn't be surprised if Chip could overtake him. Mav is a turnover machine.

I would feel better with Austin at the point than Chip. For all of his abilities, Chip is still relatively raw in terms of fundamentals. He relies heavily on his athleticism and speed, which is great, but not enough to handle calling plays, getting the ball up the court against pressure, etc.

Wait, people are serious about wanting Chip to play point guard?

I would feel better with Austin at the point than Chip. For all of his abilities, Chip is still relatively raw in terms of fundamentals. He relies heavily on his athleticism and speed, which is great, but not enough to handle calling plays, getting the ball up the court against pressure, etc.

I trust Chip at the point before Austin at this point. Austin has good fundamentals but he is rangy and not as good with the ball on the perimeter as Chip at this point. Armelin is not a natural point he's a scorer, but Melvin Newbern was the same way and Clem made a very good point guard out of him. If they can't find a PG recruit then I think this is at least an option to back up Andre Hollins next year.

Ahanmisi seems to be the only natural PG on hand for next year at the moment. He has made a lot of progress this year. He may be ready next year. Andre Hollins and Coleman both seem to be 2 guards. I think it is very likely Tubby will give Andre a long look at the PG position.

All this speculation may be mute if Tubby finds a Point to fill Joseph's spot.

As a side note, it seems to me, that with Oto and Halverson on hand next year to back up Rodney, Austin Hollins will be free to play his more natural wing position. Also with Oto, Halverson, Walker and Eliason on board, the need for another big man is not an immedate necessity.

I saw Tubby play Chip at the point guard position for about 2 minutes earlier this season (I forget which game) and it got so bad that Tubby had to call timeout. Chip has a lot of talent, but I don't see him as a point guard option unless he changes his game completley over the summer.

I saw Tubby play Chip at the point guard position for about 2 minutes earlier this season (I forget which game) and it got so bad that Tubby had to call timeout. Chip has a lot of talent, but I don't see him as a point guard option unless he changes his game completley over the summer.

Two minutes, early in his freshman year? That's a pretty generous audition.

I trust Chip at the point before Austin at this point.

Nobody is or should be talking about Austin at pg, that is so off the wall it's now ever worth bringing up.

Nobody is or should be talking about Austin at pg, that is so off the wall it's now ever worth bringing up.

I agree but I was responding to Juicer above

-Juicer
Senior Member Join Date: Mar 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

samir3.jpg

Yes, this is horrible, this idea.

His ball handling isn't anywhere near PG capable at this point in time.

+1

And Chip doesn't "see" the floor like a PG--he sees the basket and all roads to the basket. That is a quality the Gophers will want to exploit in a SG.

samir3.jpg

Yes, this is horrible, this idea.

That you Wahoo?

Hopefully Chip sticks around this summer and plays in the Pulley league. Playing him exclusively at PG would do him a lot of good

Trevor can do it-- I remember the thread this summer that ended up way over the top funny about Trevor being able to anything better than everyone (except maybe Chuck Norris)-- was good reading but I can't find it- help

Well - Chip has talent - a lot of it. Can he play the point? I guess only Tubby and the staff knows. He certainly has the aggressive attitude to play the point, but as you say, can he protect the ball enough? Big Q. All of the options for next year will be interesting to see how it all plays out, including and not forgetting about Andre Hollins, who could make this discussion a mute point.

What the hell is a mute point?

I don't care where he plays... he needs more time out there.

Blake seemed to be the primary ball handler in the second half tonight after Al went out with the turned ankle. That being said, Chip put in some very nice minutes off the bench both taking care of the ball on the perimeter and driving to the hole using his athleticism to create spacing and to score. Big game for the freshman.

He's not a point guard now, I don't think he will ever be one. He's a scorer.

Not sure how people would have reacted to Westbrook at point, I am not so sure Armelin would be any different.

Maverick's getting a raw deal on this board. He's adjusting to the quickness and resourcefulness of the defenders at this level, but I think he's going to be fine in the long run. These freshman minutes are doing him a world of good.

Who has the ball?

Its real simple for me as I love to see Chip Armelin on the court and I wonder what he is going to do next. Offensively he is a spark plug and he always seems to get one good steal or assist. Tonight he stepped up and made some big plays both offensively and defensively. If he makes the bucket after his steal when he was double teamed and makes the free throw he missed, he goes from having a really solid night to having a great night!

Top Bottom