Chicago Bears are interested in Jedd Fisch as OC

On the surface Fisch to the bears is the best news the Vikings have gotten all week.

I'm luke warm about him staying. Another coordinator would be embarrassing but what worries me more is who we'd hire to replace him. If Fisch leaves who do we go after? Remember last year it took Brewster a long time and what seemed like a lot or rejections to settle on Fisch.

As a Bears native...this would be incredible...my football worlds keep colliding... :clap:

Triple Option - YES!

I'm torn. One one hand, if we could get this offense to work, it could be pretty potent. Also, another radical change in the offense could just set us back again.

On the other hand, it's a complicated and difficult offense. It's hard enough for NFL players to execute correctly. If we can't get this working, then we're just delaying the inevitable setback.

If we have to make a radical change to the offense yet again, my vote would be for the triple option, I'd love to see Gray running the triple option.

With the future being Gray and Alipate, this is very intriguing. If we can just get Gray to hold on to the ball, this may be the scheme that takes us to the next level.

The next OC candidate should have proven college experience. I don't think the transfering of pro based skill set worked.

Is there anyone on the staff that could take over if he left? I have to think continuity is critical for the Gophers this off season, no matter how much you might hate him.

Is there anyone on the staff that could take over if he left? I have to think continuity is critical for the Gophers this off season, no matter how much you might hate him.

You'd like to think so but the obvious candidate, co-offensive coordinator Davis is more of a line coach and doesn't seem to want to be a full coordinator.

So the same team that brought us the NFL offenses of John Shoop and Ron Turner thinks Jedd Fisch is a viable option?

Hm.

Was thinking the same thing. Not too sure we have that on this staff though. How bout Coach Hammock?

It's better to have a few things that you do well than to do many things poorly. The local diner has a number of dishes that they do well. If you asked them to be on Iron Chef, you might not be happy with what they cooked up. But if you just ask them to cook up what they know how to do well, you'll get a good meal.

It's the same way with football. A team that does what it does and does it well is going to do a lot better than a team that tries to do a great many things, but can't pull it off.

If we went with the triple option, you can get a lot of mileage with triple option left, triple option right. Do that until you've got it down pat, then you can expand and add other plays.

When is Lou Nanne going interject with "breaking news" from "several anonymous inside sources" that Jedd Fisch just "planted" this rumor using "his people" so that he could get an extension out of the U?

Where there' smoke there's fire. But if there never is a fire, just forget we ever mentioned it please.

Fisch is forcing a pro offense on college kids. It's way too complicated for the college level (600 page playbook, seriously?), so if he stays -- he needs to simplify it. If he goes? Other than loss of continuity -- great! His play-calling was waaaay too obvious at times.

Jedd Fisch inherited a terrible offensive football team and he produced a terrible offense. That does not make him a bad coach, that is the inevitable outcome of lacking talent. There are many men who have made their fortunes coaching this game that carry on about the coaching ability of Jedd Fisch. I am far more concerned with this coaching staff's ability to cultivate talent into winning than I am about Jedd Fisch's ability to gameplan and call plays.

Now for my take on some of the hot topics surrounding Jed Fisch:
-He ruined Adam Weber because he switched his throwing motion:
Personally, I think far too much is made over the changing of Weber's throwing motion. Adam Weber was not setting the world on fire before Jedd Fisch came along. The only thing he was really doing better was throwing the ball more accurately, however it is almost impossible to compare the difference in accuracy between a spread and and a pro set. A lot of Weber's throws last season were merely long hand offs to WRs. Furthermore, Jedd Fisch is a coach, should he really get blasted for changing a kid's throwing motion who is doing something incorrectly? It's not like he turned an All American into an average QB, he turned a bad qb into a bad qb. So, IMO, Fisch can shoulder some blame for not developing Weber into something more, but we simply cannot act like Fisch defiled the work of art which was Adam Weber's quarterback ability.
-Our offense is too complicated for college kids:
What is holding our offense back is the most basic element of the game of football. We simply were not controlling the line of scrimmage. We run a very simple run blocking scheme (much more simple than a zone scheme under Mason), the idea is to line up and beat the man in front of you. We couldn't do this, this past year. Could you imagine the difference in our offense if we merely had an average running game?
I will admit there were times that people looked lost season, but I think that is going to happen whenever you have 1st and 2nd year players running an offense that is brand new to them. Furthermore, can you imagine the amount of blown opportunities that our offensive players messed up (McKnight dropping TD's vs. Illinois, Weber skipping the ball to wide open WR's in the end zone, Weber locking in a guy while another player is running free). Those miscues have nothing to do with a lack of understanding in the offense, and much more to do with execution.
If we were simply able to run the ball a bit more effectively and make the simple plays that we physically messed up , our offense would have been average last season (which would have been a gigantic improvement).

I can't even count the amount of dropped passes on third down that I saw this year. We had so many mistakes on offense this year that it really was ashame. There is a lot of blame to go around this year.

I'm praying the Bears take Fisch off our hands

Tennis dude and his thousand page playbook needs to go. There is more than enough evidence to support this claim, just bring up any games that you TV'iod this season, I still see that play he called against Illinois at the 1 yard line and wish someone would punt the guy out of here. The BEARS would be doing the Gophers a huge Favor if they take this guy off our hand's. Let him go work with his bobo Cutler, then we can get a real QB coach and O-coordinator and maybe salvage Weber and Gray's futures from this GURU.

Top Bottom