Chicago Bears are interested in Jedd Fisch as OC

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this link:

http://nflnr.com/2010/01/bears-coordinator-search-heats-up/

But the story has taken a different turn this morning, with the Bears reaching out to several collegiate offensive coordinators to potentially fill Turner’s post. According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter (via Twitter), Chicago is currently speaking with USC offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates and University of Minnesota offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch about the position.

Both Bates and Fisch have experience working with quarterback Jay Cutler, with Bates serving as his offensive coordinator two seasons ago in Denver, and while it’s likely that only one of the two would come to Chicago, it is possible that the Bears could hire both in different roles.

Go Gophers!!

I know when I hear offense my first thoughts are Fisch and Chicago Bears. I can't see the Bears hiring a guy with no pro OC experience, particularly given the lack of success here this past season. Bates, I have no idea.

per this link:

http://nflnr.com/2010/01/bears-coordinator-search-heats-up/

But the story has taken a different turn this morning, with the Bears reaching out to several collegiate offensive coordinators to potentially fill Turner’s post. According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter (via Twitter), Chicago is currently speaking with USC offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates and University of Minnesota offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch about the position.

Both Bates and Fisch have experience working with quarterback Jay Cutler, with Bates serving as his offensive coordinator two seasons ago in Denver, and while it’s likely that only one of the two would come to Chicago, it is possible that the Bears could hire both in different roles.

Go Gophers!!

Let me see if I've got this right. The Gopher OFFENSE stopped victories against Illinois, Iowa and Iowa State. Maybe even Penn State. Their OFFENSE was heavily dependent on Decker and when they lost him, except for the MSU game, they couldn't score for the last half of the season.

Now TWO NFL teams are considering hiring the OFFENSIVE Coordinator of said- Gophers.

Many, maybe even most of us, were cheering for Wisconsin and Iowa Bowl victories. Now the leader of the least functional part of the 2009 Gopher team may be headed to the NFL?

I'm far from a biblical scholar so I need a little help here:

Are these signs of the "End of Days"?:confused:

Perhaps his schemes are well suited to the NFL, and perhaps our players just weren't up to the level needed to execute them? Perhaps?

I think the Cutler connection plays into this as well. Cutler doesn't strike me as being all that mentally tough and maybe the Bears think he needs a buffer on the coaching staff. I don't know if Fisch is necessarily a bad coach, but he was certainly (pardon the pun) a fish out of water in the college game as he put waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much on these kids in terms of formations and nuance.

Perhaps his schemes are well suited to the NFL, and perhaps our players just weren't up to the level needed to execute them? Perhaps?

Ding ding ding!! You would have thought brewster would have learned this lesson with his initial defensive coordinator....guess not. Why do you think the NFL administers intelligence tests at their combine? Not everyone can absorb an NFL scheme/playbook, but God bless Tim for not giving up on that!!

Ding ding ding!! You would have thought brewster would have learned this lesson with his initial defensive coordinator....guess not. Why do you think the NFL administers intelligence tests at their combine? Not everyone can absorb an NFL scheme/playbook, but God bless Tim for not giving up on that!!

I agree that Everett Withers scheme did seem too complicated in Brewster's first year, but he also had very little talent to work with that year. Meanwhile, Withers has gone on to UNC and made them the #6 DEFENSE IN THE COUNTRY this year. Had he stayed here he probably would have turned out to have been a great hire.

I don't think it's because the players aren't smart, it's that they have to be students as well. With all of the off-season work done by professional teams, coaches can reallly make the schemes much more complicated because that's all the players do.

got anything to do with talent or lack of talent????????????

Maybe he is a better coach than most MN fans give him credit for...

I don't think it's because the players aren't smart either, I think it's because their physical talents limit them in performing the best in his scheme. Does a lot of that fall on Fisch for not adjusting his scheme to fit their physical talents? You bet it does. But it also COULD be a sign that, with a better caliber of talent on the field, the offense would click a lot better.

I've seen A LOT of dropped passes, over or under thrown passes, false starts, fumbles and other mental but easily correctable mistakes this season that could've easily turned many games our way. Those aren't Fisch's fault. He is a gem and we are lucky to have him. Once we get rid of these on the field mistakes we should be able to compete with the best of them.

draftnik2 -- My like for Fisch aside, when those sorts of mistakes keep constantly happening, it's a reflection on the coaches. Also, he did switch Weber's throwing motion, which presumably led to some of those bad passes ... would bet Weber deep-down did not want his motion, four years into his college career, messed with.

I belive our coaching and recruiting are fine, but yea could be better. Just need to improve the athletic tallent at "EVERY" position on offense and it appears that we have some bright prospects coming in and will be playing next year. Yes it does look to be a beter team next year.

Work hard and bring it from the Heart. Go Gophers

Multiple NFL coaches have said Jedd Fisch is one of the best young coaches in the game and he will be an NFL head coach someday. He is a good coach. Maybe it takes more than one season to implement a new offense? I am shocked at the idiots who want to claim some coaches can't coach after one (or 3) seasons of work.

The thing Fisch has to learn about coaching college kids is to keep it simple so the attention to detail is there. He's throwing too much at them and therefore, they can't be great at anything. Instead, they are "only okay" on a lot of stuff, which just doesn't allow you to move the football consistently.

He should have them practice a base of 25-30 plays week-to-week, perfect them, and go play. Instead, he's asking them to practice twice or three times that number of plays and it is simply impossible to give the proper attention to detail on each of them to perfect them. This lack of attention to detail week-to-week causes way, way too many illegal formations, false starts, illegal shifts, wasted timeouts, wrong routes, miscommunications, dropped passes, interceptions, etc. Thus, we couldn't sustain any drives at all. Watch Iowa or Wisconsin or Ohio State on both sides of the ball. SIMPLE, SIMPLE, SIMPLE.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if Fisch leaves?

Another O-coordinator hire for the Gophers?

Let's see...that would make 3 defensive coordinators and 2 offensive coordinators under Tim B.

That's 5 coordinators in a head coaches first 3 (starting 4th) years?

That's got to be some sort of NCAA record?

Multiple NFL coaches have said Jedd Fisch is one of the best young coaches in the game and he will be an NFL head coach someday. He is a good coach. Maybe it takes more than one season to implement a new offense? I am shocked at the idiots who want to claim some coaches can't coach after one (or 3) seasons of work.

All quite true. I would assume though, that the "What the BLEEP" attitude would prevail among any and all NFL fans if the Bears would actually hire him for the O.C. position.

It's just a thought. :)

Another O-coordinator hire for the Gophers?

Let's see...that would make 3 defensive coordinators and 2 offensive coordinators under Tim B.

That's 5 coordinators in a head coaches first 3 (starting 4th) years?

That's got to be some sort of NCAA record?
It's worse than that. They had 2 D Coordinators this year in Lee and Cosgrove and you'd have to replace Fisch, bringing the number up to 7.

I'm torn. One one hand, if we could get this offense to work, it could be pretty potent. Also, another radical change in the offense could just set us back again.

On the other hand, it's a complicated and difficult offense. It's hard enough for NFL players to execute correctly. If we can't get this working, then we're just delaying the inevitable setback.

If we have to make a radical change to the offense yet again, my vote would be for the triple option, I'd love to see Gray running the triple option.

Marcus Fuller tweet:

"Fisch going to Bears? Not likely as an OC. They are also looking at Charlie Weis and Jeremy Bates."

Go Gophers!!

Fisch did wonders with Weber, imagine what he could do with Cutler

Weber
2008 - 62%, 15 TD, 8 INT, 57/100 in the country, 2nd team All Big Ten
2009 - 52%, 13 TD, 15 INT, 98/100 in the country

Weber

except you forgot Weber sucks

I think this is a clear cut case of coaches getting too much credit when things go good, and too much blame when things go bad.

Lets not forget that they are the ones standing on the sidelines. The players play.

Webber needs to get waaaaaaaaayyyyy more blame for how much he has regressed. Horrible, horrible season.

Weber

I don't even know the answer to this, I'm just throwing it out there, but if you compared their Big Ten numbers side by side, how much worse was Weber really? I mean, I recall he was quite efficient and pretty darn good against the nonconference doldrums, but was not nearly as good once Big Ten season rolled around. I think you'd find the disparity between the numbers to be a lot less than it looks looking at those numbers in full, just saying.

I don't even know the answer to this, I'm just throwing it out there, but if you compared their Big Ten numbers side by side, how much worse was Weber really?

2008: 59.9%, 7 TD, 7 INT, 202.2 ypg, 8th in Big Ten pass efficiency
2009: 48.8%, 9 TD (thanks MSU), 9 INT, 191.8 ypg, not in top 10 in pass efficiency

Lets see, Weber had an INT increase of about 87.5%. Based on that, Culter would only throw about 49 interceptions with Fisch as the OC.

Top Bottom