Chet Holmgren says he'll be the best player in the NBA in 2 months

MisterGopher

Reaction score
Asked by Bleacher Report Hoops who he thinks is the best player in the NBA, Holmgren responded: "Myself in two months."

Holmgren is doing everything he can right now to show the NBA that he believes he can be great, because right now he's not a sure thing to be taken No. 1 by the Orlando Magic.

If the Magic do take Holmgren, he'll be teamed up with Jalen Suggs. He and Suggs played together at Minnehaha Academy in Minneapolis. They won multiple state titles together, with Suggs being named Mr. Basketball in 2020 followed by Holmgren winning the award in 2021.

Asked by Bleacher Report Hoops who he thinks is the best player in the NBA, Holmgren responded: "Myself in two months."

Holmgren is doing everything he can right now to show the NBA that he believes he can be great, because right now he's not a sure thing to be taken No. 1 by the Orlando Magic.

If the Magic do take Holmgren, he'll be teamed up with Jalen Suggs. He and Suggs played together at Minnehaha Academy in Minneapolis. They won multiple state titles together, with Suggs being named Mr. Basketball in 2020 followed by Holmgren winning the award in 2021.

Chet & Suggs together still wasn’t good enough to beat unbeaten Eden Prairie.

It's this a joke article? I laughed my ass off.

I am not a big Chet guy but I respect his stones. I hope he is right. He looks like he could hide behind a fence post but plays tough.

Honest question… how many players did he face last year that were drafted? How many nba draftees defended him? I don’t mind guys being bold, but I would prefer the acknowledgment of the hill that must be climbed.

I saw the clip of Lebron the other day when he chirped at Cameron Payne for talking shit… “you were sitting at home a year and a half ago and now you want to mouth off”. Chet needs to earn something before he puts a target on himself.

Honest question… how many players did he face last year that were drafted? How many nba draftees defended him? I don’t mind guys being bold, but I would prefer the acknowledgment of the hill that must be climbed.

I saw the clip of Lebron the other day when he chirped at Cameron Payne for talking shit… “you were sitting at home a year and a half ago and now you want to mouth off”. Chet needs to earn something before he puts a target on himself.
Honest answer: he has played against a lot of nba draftees both past, current and future.

Well, he wasn't even the best college bb player last year, and he had an entire season to make his case, so I'll say "I don't think so."
I still think that, while he's talented and skilled, he'll end up the next Ralph Sampson in the pros (only had 3 full effective seasons before injuries derailed his career, and two of those were alongside Olajuwon). Just not enough meat on those bones, so he'll need a modern day Olajuwon wherever he goes.

Honest answer: he has played against a lot of nba draftees both past, current and future.
I suppose in the AAU process. He’s incredibly talented and I think he’ll do well. But he wasn’t option 1 on his collegiate team, and had some mediocre and poor games against ranked opponents.

Well, he wasn't even the best college bb player last year, and he had an entire season to make his case, so I'll say "I don't think so."
I still think that, while he's talented and skilled, he'll end up the next Ralph Sampson in the pros (only had 3 full effective seasons before injuries derailed his career, and two of those were alongside Olajuwon). Just not enough meat on those bones, so he'll need a modern day Olajuwon wherever he goes.
How often is the best college player the best pro?

Straight up idiotic from a kid whose had people endlessly pump up his tires. He needs to get a clue and once he's in the NBA, I'm sure he'll get one.

I think he is trying to portray bravado ahead of the draft. Cant let them get any whiffs of lack of confidence to be drafted #1. Chet could be a great pro if he can put on some weight, I'm not confident he will be able to do that. Dude looks like a stick bug.

He's just saying it to show he has confidence. He wants to go to the Magic and play with Jalen.

This reminds me of Greg Oden telling Sports Illustrated he plans on winning 15 titles

I don't really care enough about Chet to root for him, but this is one of those questions that's impossible to answer correctly, and frankly is irrelevant.

Gotta love the confidence....but there may be some guys in the NBA that will try and make him regret making a comment like that.

It'll be interesting to see Suggs and Chet try to beat the Warriors when they couldn't survive Eden Prairie! (Sarcasm for the kids at home)
Edit Selection beat me to it

My first thought was he was talking about the rookie class of 2022, not the entire NBA. This is not the kind of publicity you want when you have accomplished nothing yet.

it isn't hard to list multiple big men drastically better at the game than he is and will be for quite some time. For him to say he'll be the best player in the league is comical and borderline idiotic to say. Guys like KAT, Jokic, Embiid, and Ayton will kill him at the offensive end. He couldn't stay out of foul trouble against bigger, more athletic guys throughout the season and that's not going to change at the next level. On offense himself, time will show if he actually can hit the outside shot with a hand in his face as he's not going to make his money driving to the rim (he's not a great big man passer yet) or with his back to the basket (he isn't moving an interior post player). We'll see if he's made an all star team in 3-4 years

I think he is trying to portray bravado ahead of the draft. Cant let them get any whiffs of lack of confidence to be drafted #1. Chet could be a great pro if he can put on some weight, I'm not confident he will be able to do that. Dude looks like a stick bug.
Bravado and confidence does not require stupidity. You have to show respect and the understanding of the work that will be needed to make an impact.

Most NBA players will not even feel the pain they will inflict upon this cocky kid. He has not seen anything like the can of whoop ass that will be unleashed upon him.

How much you want to bet he will be injured in his first weeks of playing in the NBA?

Interesting question. Here are the last ten winners of Player of the Year.
Oscar Tshiebwe
Luka Garza
Obi Toppin
Zion Williamson
Jalen Brunson
Frank Mason
Buddy Hield
Frank Kaminsky
Doug McDermott
Trey Burke
Not exactly a mirror image of the all-star game roster...Jalen Brunson has come on well as of late though.

Not exactly a mirror image of the all-star game roster...Jalen Brunson has come on well as of late though.
An interesting list for sure with only a few making a significant impact so far. Pretty surprising list to me given all the top players in the past decade. Thx for providing it.

He’s 19. He has some time to bulk up a bit.

Top Bottom