Charles Buggs update

Jmmy Chitwood

Reaction score
Charles returned to Texas on Friday evening, and I was able to catch up wth him this weekend. A few notes:

- Charles looks to be in great shape. He certainly needs to add weight and is working on that. He ordered the breakfast with a chicken fried chicken to go along with the eggs, hashbrowns, biscuits and gravy...so he is eating well.

- He will be working out with a personal strength and conditioning coach for 3 weeks while in Dallas. So hopefully he will keep eating a lot while doing those workouts.

- Ideally, he will be able to get into some games with other Dallas-area D1 players. Last week ballislife filmed a game including: LB Nash (OK St), Tony Mitchell (future 1st rounder north texas), Keaton Miles (WVU), Jordan Williams (former top 100 recruit north texas), Jordan Green (Texas aTm), Antwan Space (FSU transfer to Texas aTm), Thomas Gipson (K St), a couple of SMU player who are former top 100 recruits, and many other quality players. They have some feelers out to get in some games with those guys while he is in town. They are definitely looking for games for him to play in besides his personal work outs. He is working hard to continue to get better and matching up with some guys with D1 experience - and possibly future competition - would certainly help his development.

- Althought I previously stated that he would not redshirt, that is a possibility. He said that Tubby and staff will likely take a look at him and where he fits in the fall. I could see him filling in as a reserve at the 3/4, or I could see him redshirting. I do think he has the talent level and athleticism to contribute (see his match up with Isaiah Austin where his AAU team won, and Austin will play right away). I could also see the redshirt due to Minny's depth. Billy Gillispie wanted him to play right away at Tech last season, so that gives you some idea.

I know that is not a ton of really substantive information, just thought I would share since Charles is still a bit of a mystery recruit. He is certainly working hard on his game and seems excited about getting to Minnesota.

Thanks for the info, would be good if Buggs could get in that game with other Texas preps/former preps.

Jimmy, you have been a very informative conduit from Gopherhole to everything Charles Buggs. Thanks for your contributions.

Great stuff Jimmy, thanks. Since I saw that tape/game where he went off in the first half, draining multiple three's & working the transition game I've felt much better about Bugsy.

Great stuff Jimmy, thanks. Since I saw that tape/game where he went off in the first half, draining multiple three's & working the transition game I've felt much better about Bugsy.

What video are you referring to?

What video are you referring to?

I believe he is referring to the webscast of the prep national championship game (Brewster vs. Hargrave).

Charles had 15 points and drained 4 three pointers, including an and-1 on one of the 3's.

It looks like both incoming freshman will be playing in the Pulley summer league (http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_20701358/shooter-now-gophers-ad-joel-maturi-has-no)

I am familiar with the AAU team that Tyus Jones plays on. I am not familiar with this league.

Who all participates in this summer league? Other Big 10 and college players?

Top Bottom