Changes at The Bank

GopherLady

Reaction score
Just got this email from Gophersports, looks like they listened to many of the issues fans were having:

We've made changes to entry and concessions

We heard you loud and clear from the year-end survey, and have worked hard in the offseason to improve timeliness of entry into TCF Bank Stadium, and the overall concessions experience. Highlights include:

* New express entry (fans with no bags) between gates A and E on the plaza
* Expanded entry through Gate C to all fans, not just students
* New concessions, including a signature cheddar brat, and local fare from La Loma
* Additional portable concession stations on concourse
* Improved signage at concessions windows
* U Matter concessions service guarantee
* Food and beverage map (PDF, 7.6 MB): http://www.athletics.umn.edu/lyris/20100907gopherusd/TCFBankStadium_Concourse.pdf

Most disappointing aspect: THAT PALERMOS IS STILL THE OFFICIAL PIZZA OF GOPHER SPORTS.

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

I heard the band pregame thing has been moved from the south side of the stadium to the tribal nations plaza, but I also see that the WCCO pregame broadcast is ALSO at the plaza and ALSO starts one hour before kick off. Wouldn't that make for a very loud and conflicting radio broadcast?

when are they going to serve beer? that is the bigest issue I see with the stadium.

I heard the band pregame thing has been moved from the south side of the stadium to the tribal nations plaza, but I also see that the WCCO pregame broadcast is ALSO at the plaza and ALSO starts one hour before kick off. Wouldn't that make for a very loud and conflicting radio broadcast?

It's just step one in solving the Dave Lee problem. :D

Still no cash registers though. But I like the fact they are taking steps to improve the "experience."

Curious how these express lines will be. As long as they insist on patting down every man/woman/child the entry time will take long. Last year hardly any men in the men's line had bags to check but it still took forever because they pat your front, pat your back, pat your left arm, pat your right arm, ask you to remove your hat, ask you to open your jacket, etc.

Still unreal and amazingly stupid there are no cash registers.
Still silly they practically strip search you when going into the stadium.

Plaza show is a better idea, hopefully in conjunction with the victory walk.

Cmon Maturi, make it a party atmosphere at the Bank! Drop tailgating permit prices until the lots are jammed, get the students down there and let them have some fun.
Get the band to march around before the game en mass somehow.

my 2 cents

Has there ever been any explanation given as to why there aren't cash registers?

Because it would be unfair for only some people to have cash registers; the Minnesota legislature promptly banned the use of cash registers at TCF Bank Stadium to "look out for the little guy."

Because it would be unfair for only some people to have cash registers; the Minnesota legislature promptly banned the use of cash registers at TCF Bank Stadium to "look out for the little guy."

Well played sir, well played.

Has there ever been any explanation given as to why there aren't cash registers?

Money. The company with the concession contract didn't think the investment would be prudent considering the 8 or 9 events at TCF where they'd need to have all of their concession stands open. I wish they had them. Someone talked about the situation at Williams and Mariucci but I don't remember what that was; maybe they had them, maybe they didn't, more events, less people, inside venues vs. outside etc.

Now Barry Alvarez would probably have gotten the cash registers...

:horse::horse::horse:

Pat Downs

I heard Joel Maturi interviewed on the radio recently (he was at the State Fair), and they talked about changes for the second year at TCF Stadium. He mentioned a few things with bussing and that some local busineseses were approved to open up new parking lots, but the one that caught my attention was regarding pat downs. He said the Twins have a great new stadium and don't pat down people, so the Gophers were no longer going to pat down people either.

I was very pleased with this development.

I heard Joel Maturi interviewed on the radio recently (he was at the State Fair), and they talked about changes for the second year at TCF Stadium. He mentioned a few things with bussing and that some local busineseses were approved to open up new parking lots, but the one that caught my attention was regarding pat downs. He said the Twins have a great new stadium and don't pat down people, so the Gophers were no longer going to pat down people either.

If true, this should make getting in to the stadium much quicker. :clap:

thank god for no pat downs, i did the we are minnesota group last year so i didnt use gate c but for the 1st game, and god that was horrible, not doing it this year so im going to have to suffer through that long wait. how is letting more people in through gate c going to help people get in faster? unless the huge wait time was solved i only think that would hurt the process

Well, no need to worry about the whole not serving alcohol thing anymore.

Bath rooms

Any chance they'll put porta potties on the upper deck?

Any chance they'll put porta potties on the upper deck?

I kind of hope they don't do this, for visual and aesthetic reasons. On the other hand, all the handicapped seating up there does provide for a legitimate gripe by those not able to easily make it down to the main concourse.

I dont get all the outrage about getting into to the stadium. The longest it took me was five minutes last season. I think this is similar the the people complaining about going to the bathroom at Target Field... they simply did not understand there was more than one section to the bathroom. Like Gophers fans didnt realize that not all gates are full.

He said the Twins have a great new stadium and don't pat down people, so the Gophers were no longer going to pat down people either.

:clap::clap::clap:

I can finally stop obsessing.

I dont get all the outrage about getting into to the stadium. The longest it took me was five minutes last season. I think this is similar the the people complaining about going to the bathroom at Target Field... they simply did not understand there was more than one section to the bathroom. Like Gophers fans didnt realize that not all gates are full.

What is your secret. Every game I tried to get into the stadium with about 45 minutes to kickoff and had to wait at least 5 minutes every time. I tried multiple gates too.

The bottom line though is that I've been to every other Big Ten school as well as a couple bowl games and no other Big Ten stadium has security guards put their hands on me. Ditto for Twins and White Sox games.

The biggest cause of the lines getting into TCF Bank Stadium was that the donation lots were half-full. Everybody was coming to the arena from the cheap parking to the South and West, so the entrances on the North side of the stadium were hardly used. Unless they make it more affordable to park near the stadium, this is never going to change.

Money. The company with the concession contract didn't think the investment would be prudent considering the 8 or 9 events at TCF where they'd need to have all of their concession stands open. I wish they had them. Someone talked about the situation at Williams and Mariucci but I don't remember what that was; maybe they had them, maybe they didn't, more events, less people, inside venues vs. outside etc.

This makes some sense, but couldn't they rent cash registers for 8 events?

I was at every game except for the Homecoming game, and never had an issue getting in either. I dunno if it's the time we get there or what, but was never longer than any wait I had at the Dome for Vikings games.. In fact the wait for The Bank was significantly less than at the Dome. I think almost every enterance I took was Gate A (our seats are first row in section 109).

The two worst 'game day experiences' we have had are the concessions (wtf no registers?!) and the lack of a tailgating experience. We don't tailgate, but maybe for a few minutes at someone else's 'shindig'.. but it sure would be nice to see the lots adjacent to The Bank filled with tailgaters and students getting their 'game on' prior to the real game. Just makes them more 'rowdy' and fun to watch.

Oh yeah, forgot the huge ass line we have to wait in for the shuttles back to the Fairgrounds where we are parked. That's another pain in the rear we just have to deal with.

Top Bottom