Cedric Thompson signs!

THompson's team lost 7 of their last 8 playing in a conference of small schools. It just seems like if he is a Big Ten caliber player, that he would be worth a few wins himself in that stretch. He was named all-conference but was not the conference offensive or defensive player of the year. If he was not the best player in his own conference, where does he rank in the Big Ten???

THompson's team lost 7 of their last 8 playing in a conference of small schools. It just seems like if he is a Big Ten caliber player, that he would be worth a few wins himself in that stretch. He was named all-conference but was not the conference offensive or defensive player of the year. If he was not the best player in his own conference, where does he rank in the Big Ten???

Seriously? You think Kill cares what his high schools record was or if he was MVP of his league after checking him our for himself?

Just like any post season all-star team getting on it has more to do with the teams success than the skill of the player

If a team goes 1-7 are they going to pick the MVP off of that team? The answer is no.

Clueless in Iowa

LOL - You have to be either a troll or totally clueless.
Tricks said it best "If a team goes 1-7 are they going to pick the MVP off of that team? The answer is no." So tell me, are really that dense or are you just a clueless troll?

The kid has speed and good size so I can't fault Coach Kill for signing him. I seem to recall a small town Wisconsin DB with speed and size that walked on at Wisky and became all conference. I'n not saying that Cedric Thompson is the next Jim Leonard but that's the type of potential some of these small town kids have when given a chance. Worst case he's a 4 year contributor on special teams.

Wow, you really are a troll. This isn't basketball, 1 player cannot carry an entire team to 1 win let alone a few. For example...

Cedric Thompson, Calipatria (Calipatria, Calif.)
Almost surpassed 300 yards as he gained 291 yards on just 15 totes, scoring on runs of 68, 29, 96 and 5 yards, but that still wasn’t enough in a 38-32 loss to balanced Escondido Charter of Escondido.

He averaged 11.5 yrds per carry and scored 27 tds on the ground, threw for 323 yrds and 4 tds, 168 yrds recieving and 2 tds. He had 3 sacks and 4 ints on defense. I mean what more can you ask? I have no clue if he can play in the big10, but your reasons for doubting him are ridiculous. Not every recruit is gonna jump off the page as a potential all big10 player, wake up if that's what you are expecting in our recruiting classes.

Welcome Aboard!

3556095314_4b9070eee1.jpg

It was mentioned in another thread but where do people think Cedric will be played in college?

It was mentioned in another thread but where do people think Cedric will be played in college?

He's being recruited as a safety although he can play multiple positions (RB/WR/DB).

Seems like it'd make sense he is brought in at DB, I wouldn't imagine he'd bring in a late signee like this at RB. Maybe receiver tho.

Northern Arizona and Portland State's loss is Minnesota's gain!

Welcome to GOLD COUNTRY Cedric!!!

This is a true sleeper signing! it seems like he is an amazing athlete, those type of skills can be used on all aspects of the game-DB, WR, KR....this guy is a find! An under recruited T.Stod!

Cedric Thompson, Calipatria (Calipatria, Calif.)
Almost surpassed 300 yards as he gained 291 yards on just 15 totes, scoring on runs of 68, 29, 96 and 5 yards, but that still wasn’t enough in a 38-32 loss to balanced Escondido Charter of Escondido.

He averaged 11.5 yrds per carry and scored 27 tds on the ground, threw for 323 yrds and 4 tds, 168 yrds recieving and 2 tds. He had 3 sacks and 4 ints on defense. I mean what more can you ask? I have no clue if he can play in the big10, but your reasons for doubting him are ridiculous. Not every recruit is gonna jump off the page as a potential all big10 player, wake up if that's what you are expecting in our recruiting classes.

Speed, speed, elusiveness, and speed. We should give up on him immediately:rolleyes:.

I, for one, can't wait to see this guy in action.

He looks like a (short) man amongst boys in that highlight tape.

His HS teams defensive front 7 had to be terrible for his team to have gone through a season with 1 win. I am excited about the possibility of a kid with a highlight tape like that maybe returning some kicks or punts. Good shake, good acceleration.

The kid has speed and good size so I can't fault Coach Kill for signing him. I seem to recall a small town Wisconsin DB with speed and size that walked on at Wisky and became all conference. I'n not saying that Cedric Thompson is the next Jim Leonard but that's the type of potential some of these small town kids have when given a chance. Worst case he's a 4 year contributor on special teams.

Jim Leonhard was pretty damn good, but to call him a DB with size would be incorrect. He trotted onto campus at a diminutive 5'8'', 174. Visions of Sean Taylor, he was not.

http://www.uwbadgers.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/wis/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2001Roster

The film was amazing. Fast and elusive. So what if he plays in a small school, a great player is a great player.

Anyone know how

Kill got turned-on to Cedric and who was the recruiting contact?

Great to see Kill extending to the West Coast...maybe we'll see more in 2012.

Kill got turned-on to Cedric and who was the recruiting contact?

Great to see Kill extending to the West Coast...maybe we'll see more in 2012.

The speculation is that since his rivals and scout pages list interest from TCU, Patterson might have turned Kill onto him.

I'm not saying it's what happened I've never heard other coaches recommending players, but its a theory.

Gophers Add Thompson to NLI List

Courtesy: University of Minnesota
Release:02/07/2011
"
University of Minnesota head football coach Jerry Kill has announced the signing of Cedric Thompson (Calipatria, Calif.) to a national letter of intent.

Thompson rushed for more than 1,800 yards and earned All-Pacific League honors for Calipatria High School last season. The Hornets finished their season 4-7 overall.

Thompson carried the ball 157 times for 1,808 yards and 27 touchdowns as a senior. He also hauled in six receptions for 168 yards and two scores, while passing for 323 yards and four TDs. Defensively, he totaled 41 tackles, including 34 solo stops in 2010. Thompson also recorded three sacks and four interceptions from his cornerback position, which is where he is projected to play for the Golden Gophers.

"Cedric is a young man we're very excited about," head coach Jerry Kill said. "He's a 5-10, 200-pound cornerback with outstanding speed. He's a great character kid, which is important to us. He really fits what we do. We think Cedric is a real diamond in the rough. He was a little under the radar through Signing Day, but we think it worked out well for us to get him."

Thompson has had back-to-back 1,000-yard rushing seasons. He went for 1,446 yards on 181 carries with 14 scores in his junior season as the Hornets put together a 6-5 mark. He also contributed 45 tackles, including 39 solo stops, with two interceptions in 2009.

Thompson joins 22 other Gopher football recruits who were announced last week. Click the Gophers' Signing Day Central page for more details on the newest crop of Golden Gophers.
"
http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205091608&DB_OEM_ID=8400

hope this is not already posted.

Courtesy: University of Minnesota
Release:02/07/2011
"
University of Minnesota head football coach Jerry Kill has announced the signing of Cedric Thompson (Calipatria, Calif.) to a national letter of intent.

Thompson rushed for more than 1,800 yards and earned All-Pacific League honors for Calipatria High School last season. The Hornets finished their season 4-7 overall.

Thompson carried the ball 157 times for 1,808 yards and 27 touchdowns as a senior. He also hauled in six receptions for 168 yards and two scores, while passing for 323 yards and four TDs. Defensively, he totaled 41 tackles, including 34 solo stops in 2010. Thompson also recorded three sacks and four interceptions from his cornerback position, which is where he is projected to play for the Golden Gophers.

"Cedric is a young man we're very excited about," head coach Jerry Kill said. "He's a 5-10, 200-pound cornerback with outstanding speed. He's a great character kid, which is important to us. He really fits what we do. We think Cedric is a real diamond in the rough. He was a little under the radar through Signing Day, but we think it worked out well for us to get him."

Thompson has had back-to-back 1,000-yard rushing seasons. He went for 1,446 yards on 181 carries with 14 scores in his junior season as the Hornets put together a 6-5 mark. He also contributed 45 tackles, including 39 solo stops, with two interceptions in 2009.

Thompson joins 22 other Gopher football recruits who were announced last week. Click the Gophers' Signing Day Central page for more details on the newest crop of Golden Gophers.
"
http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205091608&DB_OEM_ID=8400

hope this is not already posted.

That's purty darn impressive. That's 11.5 yards per carry.

Nice! Welcome Thompson!!

It's hard to find a guy who is 200 lbs in HS and can run. Welcome aboard.

Top Bottom