CDH Coach on KFAN, Talks about SH

VarmintKong

Reaction score
This morning I heard one of the CDH coaches (Ray Hitchcock) talk a little about Seantrel and when asked where he will end up he said this (I pulled this quote from www.thedailygopher.com):

"I really feel strongly it's in Seantrel's best interest to go to the University of Minnesota. The advantage to him post football would be here. He'll start at LT for coach Brewster, I know they're doing a great job recruiting him. And he would be the marquee player that others would follow. He'd be in great hands with coach Brewster, he'd also have his network of people to support him here in town. And you know, he's a great player, he's just a special kid. He's a quiet humble kid that has been blessed with size and ability. We're certainly hoping he ends up at the University of Minnesota."

GREAT TO HEAR HE IS GETTING THIS TYPE OF INPUT FROM ONE OF HIS COACHES.

This morning I heard one of the CDH coaches (Ray Hitchcock) talk a little about Seantrel and when asked where he will end up he said this (I pulled this quote from www.thedailygopher.com):

"I really feel strongly it's in Seantrel's best interest to go to the University of Minnesota. The advantage to him post football would be here. He'll start at LT for coach Brewster, I know they're doing a great job recruiting him. And he would be the marquee player that others would follow. He'd be in great hands with coach Brewster, he'd also have his network of people to support him here in town. And you know, he's a great player, he's just a special kid. He's a quiet humble kid that has been blessed with size and ability. We're certainly hoping he ends up at the University of Minnesota."

+1 --This is my nominee for post of the month. Good work Varmintkong!

Grain of salt: it is well-known that Ray Hitchcock is a U alum and has been in Seantrel's ear about going here for a long time.

You're right, though - it can't hurt that one of his coaches has been giving him positive input about the U.

+1 --This is my nominee for post of the month. Good work Varmintkong!

+2!!!

And thank you KFAN for not hanging up on the Coach immediately after he said it, and in turn telling listeners "we had a bad connection and the coach had to go", something that had they done it, wouldn't have surprised me.

Grain of salt: it is well-known that Ray Hitchcock is a U alum and has been in Seantrel's ear about going here for a long time.

You're right, though - it can't hurt that one of his coaches has been giving him positive input about the U.
Correct. I remember after the Northwestern game, Hitchcock was doing the postgame show. He said way back then that he thought Henderson would end up here. At least he hasn't changed his tune.

The Powertrip morning show is actually good to listen to, and they are not anti Gophers. All three support the program, but are irritated right now, as many others are.

So....
who is SH's position coach?

Believe it is Jon Alt - former K.C. Chief and Iowa Hawkeye - my guess is he is talking Kinnick Stadium is his other ear (Ferentz was his line coach in early 80's)

Should be interesting when it goes down

Believe it is Jon Alt - former K.C. Chief and Iowa Hawkeye - my guess is he is talking Kinnick Stadium is his other ear (Ferentz was his line coach in early 80's)

Should be interesting when it goes down

"According to my sources" Jon Alt is most certainly advocating Iowa to SH. But Iowaland is now reporting Kirk Ferentz just declined Sean Henderson's invitation to do an in home visit. Don't know what that means.

I'd say Hitchcock is going a lot further out on a limb than just advocating for the U. Those are a couple of pretty strong statements about Brewster and the program as it suits SH's needs as student and athlete. Whether his decision goes our way or not, I'm a lot more impressed with a respected coach's publicly stated opinion than I am with the entire lot of Brewster naysayers who litter this board with incessant, destructive rants about the state of our program.

The Powertrip morning show is actually good to listen to, and they are not anti Gophers. All three support the program, but are irritated right now, as many others are.

The big joke on the Power Trip is that Chris Hawkey is a season ticket holder, but his other obligations (Rocket Club, the Chris Hawkey Band, and work on the Vikings radio network) precluded him from going to games.

Gee, a Gopher Alum saying a player should go to the U.

Wow, breaking news.

What does Scanlan think?

Hitchcock would know as much as anyone. Nice to hear him promoting the U and fighting the good fight. I'm, kind of intrigued by the idea of Davis taking the OC job and Hitchcock being oferred the OL job.

Hitchcock would know as much as anyone. Nice to hear him promoting the U and fighting the good fight. I'm, kind of intrigued by the idea of Davis taking the OC job and Hitchcock being oferred the OL job.

Isn't that an NCAA violation?

Isn't that an NCAA violation?

What? Hiring the coach of a certain high school to insure the successful recruitment of prospects? If that's what you are asking, see Springdale HS, Arkansas, and the "Springdale Five" from four or five years ago.

That is interesting. Hitch would be a legit candidate for the job, but they couldn't hire him becuase of CDH kids and recruiting rules. There must be some fine print.

Sounds like more than one coach is telling him Minnesota is his best choice. I think Scanlan is advising him Minnesota also.

Gee, a Gopher Alum saying a player should go to the U.

Wow, breaking news.

What does Scanlan think?

I wasn't aware that he was a Gopher Alum, but I guess I would've posted his comments anyway. Just trying to pass long some positive info regarding the recruitment of SH. But from reading some of your comments on GH, Art, I understand that positivity isn't your MO. You're more of a doom and gloom guy. To each their own.

I wasn't aware that he was a Gopher Alum, but I guess I would've posted his comments anyway. Just trying to pass long some positive info regarding the recruitment of SH. But from reading some of your comments on GH, Art, I understand that positivity isn't your MO. You're more of a doom and gloom guy. To each their own.

The Star Tribune board was too positive for Art, so he posts here.

What do you base this on?

The more than one coach telling him Minnesota I base off of the "We're hoping he ends up at Minnesota" And Scanlans position is a gut feeling I get when I see him wearing his Minnesota visor and see him from time to time. I have never flat out had him tell me he is whispering Minnesota in Seantrel's ear nor have I asked him.

The more than one coach telling him Minnesota I base off of the "We're hoping he ends up at Minnesota" And Scanlans position is a gut feeling I get when I see him wearing his Minnesota visor and see him from time to time. I have never flat out had him tell me he is whispering Minnesota in Seantrel's ear nor have I asked him.

Scanlan must not be whispering very loud because Floyd sure never heard him.

I did not say he ever told Floyd to go to the U. Could coaches tell different players to go to different colleges because different players have different needs and different preferences and different schools would benefit different players?

to think a Coach would pimp the same school for every single player is foolish.

I did not say he ever told Floyd to go to the U. Could coaches tell different players to go to different colleges because different players have different needs and different preferences and different schools would benefit different players?

Well said!

You're right. When Floyd was being recruited the Gophers were really deep at WR so they didn't need him.

I think he was referring to the needs of the kid, not the needs of the football program.

While it's nice that you've spelled it out for Art, I don't think it'll do much good for someone that myopic. Perspective is something that just doesn't seem to marinate on his brain.

Top Bottom