Cavs fire Bickerstaff

That is because GM's don't have daily contact with and as a result don't clash with the players who hire and fire coaches in today's NBA.

Deserve ain't got nothing to do with it.

JB did a good job in Cleveland, but sometimes another voice or tactical strategy is needed...much easier than blowing up the roster.

He will get paid out some nice coin and is a certainty to get another job.

That’s an absurd firing. Don’t understand how NBA GM’s get away with the constant scapegoating of coaches. Hell, the Lakers fire their coach every year and Rob Pelinka is afforded the chance to just keep plugging away.
I think you are correct on all counts.

I think a ton of the public, who are essentially represented by sportswriters, that have the same incentive as GMs -Don’t criticize players.

Writers wouldn’t get access. GMs cave to players because it helps those Pelinkas of the world, keep the only job they are good at (excusing things).

The lack of honesty helps a team like Twolves. A bunch of Bad GMs and revolving coaches means talent is missed. So guys like Connely, that work harder can grab castoffs. That were miscast, or just undervalued. And we can profit by GMs not paying enough attention in 2nd rd drafting.

There’s our next Gopher coach! 🥳
I'd absolutely love JB to be our next coach. He has a ton of experience, he did a great job in Cleveland, while he's "one of us", it wouldn't be a "one of us" pick.

As much as I think CBJ deserves another year, if JB was interested, you make the move now.

I'd absolutely love JB to be our next coach. He has a ton of experience, he did a great job in Cleveland, while he's "one of us", it wouldn't be a "one of us" pick.

As much as I think CBJ deserves another year, if JB was interested, you make the move now.
Nothing against him personally but the next coach needs to have division 1 head coaching experience period. No exception. We've tried the creative outside the box hires enough. Plus there's no indication he wants to switch to college coaching.

Who in their right mind would move from the NBA to the complete shit show of NCAA basketball coaching? No thanks. You couldn’t pay me enough.

If hiring a successful NBA coach is "outside the box" then f#ck the box!
Fred Hoiberg coached in the NBA and has done very well at Nebraska!

Last edited:

Nothing against him personally but the next coach needs to have division 1 head coaching experience period. No exception. We've tried the creative outside the box hires enough. Plus there's no indication he wants to switch to college coaching.
Yeah, but not if you pair him with a really good local HS basketball coach like Ken Novak Jr.

If hiring a successful NBA coach is "outside the box" then f#ck the box!
Fred Hoiberg coached in the NBA and has done very well at Nebraska!
If JB goes to Iowa State and wins first, that would be a good comparison. If Hoiberg didn't have that on his resume, Nebraska probably would have fired him before last year.

If JB goes to Iowa State and wins first, that would be a good comparison. If Hoiberg didn't have that on his resume, Nebraska probably would have fired him before last year.
which would have made Nebraska nearly as stupid as those who think JB is unprepared to coach college basketball now.
Understand that IMO CBJ and JB are both qualified for the UM job.

Last edited:

Fred Hoiberg?
Hoiberg went from college, where he was successful, to the NBA, where he wasn't very successful and was fired, before returning to college -- probably because he wasn't going to get another NBA job soon. Plus, that was before college BB became the shitshow it is now.

I think most coaches are best suited for NBA or college -- usually not both.

If I missed the post stating he couldn't coach college ball or would be unprepared.. I've only seen why would he go from NBA to the college mess...
which would have made Nebraska nearly as stupid as those who think JB is unprepared to coach college basketball now.

If I missed the post stating he couldn't coach college ball or would be unprepared.. I've only seen why would he go from NBA to the college mess...
My post wasnt directed at your post.
It was directed at other posts which were against considering JB for a college job.

Understand that IMO CBJ and JB are both qualified for the UM job.
Is Ben qualified for a B1G job? He wasn't when he was hired and still isn't today. No Power 6 program would even consider him if he was fired tomorrow.

Is JB? We don't know how any coach will transition from the NBA to college. It's not about X's and O's. That unknown is not a chance the Gophers can afford to take with the next hire. In a different situation maybe. Not now.

That’s an absurd firing. Don’t understand how NBA GM’s get away with the constant scapegoating of coaches. Hell, the Lakers fire their coach every year and Rob Pelinka is afforded the chance to just keep plugging away.
The Gophers just auctioned off their team...and appear to be setting up Ben Johnson as the scapegoat.

At least all the super-fans here are saying that it's NCAA or else.

Is Ben qualified for a B1G job? He wasn't when he was hired and still isn't today. No Power 6 program would even consider him if he was fired tomorrow.

Is JB? We don't know how any coach will transition from the NBA to college. It's not about X's and O's. That unknown is not a chance the Gophers can afford to take with the next hire. In a different situation maybe. Not now.
Well Ben put together a very valuable team.

2 starters worth $500K+ per year.
2 starters worth $750K+ per year.

Well Ben put together a very valuable team.

2 starters worth $500K+ per year.
2 starters worth $750K+ per year.
I don't know if your numbers are true - unlikely. But the point stands. I was just talking to someone about how if these were the olden days, this would have been a very fun group to watch emerge and maybe do some damage. Instead, fuck college basketball. It's stupid now. Good luck with your product. I was a season ticket holder for 25 years and will never, ever be one again. Nice job guys.

Last edited:

Hoiberg went from college, where he was successful, to the NBA, where he wasn't very successful and was fired, before returning to college -- probably because he wasn't going to get another NBA job soon. Plus, that was before college BB became the shitshow it is now.

I think most coaches are best suited for NBA or college -- usually not both.
Hoiberg was an NBA guy before taking a job at his alma mater. He didn’t grind his way up through college coaching.

Bickerstaff, like Hoiberg, also was just canned from an NBA job.

I don’t think JB would be interested but it’s not unusual for an NBA coach to transition to college and vice versa (Billy Donovan, Fred Hoiberg, Erik Musselman, Avery Johnson, Kevin Ollie, etc.).

Top Bottom