Cause for Concern?: Tubby, recruiting efforts, program direction, etc.

I'm not concerned, but I think Coach Smith has hurt his brand here and contributed some to the momentum stalling here.

-Every ESPN/CBS insider swears that he's sending out feelers that he's not happy here. Local media types are reporting it too. I take that as he's talking. It can't help recruiting.

-His staff probably embarrassed Joe Coleman last year in regards to his offer/no offer. Wouldn't blame him Joe if he told the U to stick it and signed with Bo Ryan.

I thought keeping Coach Smith was a big deal. I hope he stays, but we'll be fine if he bolts. We're not only paying him well, but also giving him the budget to employ Vince Taylor. If he leaves, we'll get an equivalent to a Tony Bennett and allow him budget to hire a power asst. like Vince Taylor. The U is the only show in town and the local talent pool is good enough to build around if you can keep the bulk of it here.

Ogee- I mostly agree with you. But the recruiting appears to be losing some momentum since the initial class. Last year he signed three top local guys but all were high risk for one reason or another and two now can't play. At the end of the day it isn't where your class ranks when you recruit them - it's what they put out when you put them on court if they ever appear there.

That's why I think the significance of whether or not Trevor suits up this fall is seriously magnified, fair or unfair.

If Trevor plays and plays well for the next two years (along with some development from Rodney), the class is suddenly considered a success for the most part. That translates into success on the court (more than likely), which likely maintains/improves momentum on the recruiting front.

If Trevor leaves the school/program, this team will likely have to over-achieve a little bit on the court next season in order for Tubby to maintain or improve his recruiting efforts.

It's pretty simple. I'm not concerned yet. 2008 was a very good class. 2009 was an awesome class which has not panned out thus far. 2010 looks to be a below average class (Walker and Hollins good, Eliason a run of the mill college center and Maverick a reach), but it hinged on Joseph and not getting him was the factor. I don't like the fact that one player made or broke a class. If this year's class sucks then there is reason for concern. I can understand with what has happened lately that some would be concerned, but I'm trying to be optimistic. If this year's class sucks I will join the concerned group. Hopefully that won't happen.

I was backing up Tubby. I'm saying that Barnes is currently putting more players in the NBA because he's coaching at Texas. If Barnes were coaching at MN and Tubby at Texas, Tubby would easily be putting more players in the NBA.

Tubby had 3 players at Tulsa drafted by NBA. He had 2 players at Georgia drafted. He had 16 players at UK drafted and/or make the NBA. That's 21. He's coached 19 years.

What are Barnes' numbers? Clemson, Providence, Texas.

I was backing up Tubby. I'm saying that Barnes is currently putting more players in the NBA because he's coaching at Texas. If Barnes were coaching at MN and Tubby at Texas, Tubby would easily be putting more players in the NBA.

Barnes is 67% overall for his career and 19-18 in NCAA games. He recruits well and some of his players make the NBA. But his coaching numbers are just decent, nothing more.

Tubby is 71% overall and 29-15 in NCAA games. His coaching numbers are better than Barnes.

FoT wrote:

"Tubby had 3 players at Tulsa drafted by NBA. He had 2 players at Georgia drafted. He had 16 players at UK drafted and/or make the NBA. That's 21. He's coached 19 years."

That was then, FoT. This is now. The game, at both the collegiate and the NBA levels, has changed dramatically. Kids today have a sense of entitlement; they expect to have everything handed to them and don't want to work for it. The great ones (and even some delusional good ones) go where they think the style of play will showcase their talents and mesh best with the game as it's played in the NBA so they can be one and done. That ain't Minnesota.

So, one might say, we can simply recruit on the next tier--the very good players who, when paired with other very good players who will stick around for two or three years minimum, can accomplish plenty. Except we're not getting those guys either. One by one, the Jespersons and Uthoffs on our list are committing elsewhere. And now Joe Coleman is perilously close to doing what was unthinkable nine months ago: reject Minnesota.

Look, I admire Tubby enormously, as both a coach and a person. I'm glad he's here. But we are losing ground on the recruiting front. When we can't lock up a national talent like Joe Coleman, a local guy with a thoroughbred U of M pedigree, then it is cause for concern.

Barnes is 67% overall for his career and 19-18 in NCAA games. He recruits well and some of his players make the NBA. But his coaching numbers are just decent, nothing more.

Tubby is 71% overall and 29-15 in NCAA games. His coaching numbers are better than Barnes.

You are extremely annoying to read. I would ignore it but you post like a teenager text messages, like really fast dude! Your posts are everywhere!!! Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

You sound like a stock pumper; "take a position in GMBH, it's going to the moon, man!!!"

Please at least acknowledge that you are at least a little disappointed in the direction of the program. Anyone who is a fan of this team at least has some doubts. I really like Tubby, and am glad we have him, but I am disappointed we aren't more consistent in our recruiting, and there is so much question about the direction of the program. For example, I just know that Wisconsin is going to be a top 25 team for years to come, as long as Bo Ryan is there. Can we say the same for our Gophs?

Friend Of Tubby
Senior Member Join Date: Nov 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by underground629

Slow down FoT, take a breath. My gosh, underground629 was on the same page as you. It isn't you and Tubby against the world.

...is the reputation Tubby seems to be acquiring for failing to prepare talented kids for the NBA.

I think it was Chad Ford of ESPN who took Tubby to task last year for mishandling Rodney Williams. At one point early in the season Ford had Williams as a top-ten draft prospect. Even now, with comparatively little burn time, Ford has Williams ranked as the 18th best prospect in next summer's draft, should Williams declare early.

Tubby's old-school, tightly-controlled, make-a-mistake-and-you-sit, my-way-or-the-bench offensive system doesn't play too well with the best athletes. Why do we supopose Cory Joseph chose Texas? Because he thought Rick Barnes could prepare him for the NBA better than Tubby Smith can, plain and simple.

Count me among the concerned.

I think your concerns are valid, but it is a two way street. Do you take the top prospects, the one and done's that want complete freedom to showcase their offensive skills, at the detriment to the team.

I take Westbrook as an example, he had offensive skills to create his own shot, which he exhibited in spots throughout his Gopher career. Under Monson he developed nill defensive skills. By the time he was done he was a decent defensive player. He had to take on some of the responsibilities that had fallen to Nolen on the defensive side of the ball and did a decent job.

Their were times the Offense sputtered last year but they always competed and played tough defense. I would take this over what I have seen from Texas or Kentucky any day.

Lot's of excuses here for Tubby I see. There is a difference between "let's fire the guy" and "concerned". The question was, who is concerned? Anyone not concerned that we are paying a guy top 5 money and haven't finished above the middle of the Big Ten is a very optimistic person in my mind.

Tubby should not be given a pass because of Trevor and Royce's problems. they are his responsibility. I personally think Tubby could have handled Royce's situation better. He might still be here had Tubby done more. It isn't Tubby's style, but nonetheless, Tubby left Royce to deal with his mess without much support.

Finally, the recruiting lately has been a concern. If we hired Tubby to get us back to the middle of the Big Ten, that is where I see the current talent leading us. If we want more from a top 5 coach, like a Big Ten title, I do not see the current level of recruiting accomplishing that goal.

Do you?

Tubby should not be given a pass because of Trevor and Royce's problems. they are his responsibility. I personally think Tubby could have handled Royce's situation better. He might still be here had Tubby done more. It isn't Tubby's style, but nonetheless, Tubby left Royce to deal with his mess without much support.

I must have missed the article where Tubby stole clothes and assaulted a security guard? Thought that might have been bigger news. Also missed where Tubby dropped out of school a week before his charges were resolved??? The media here sure loves Tubby that they are saying Royce did these things, when turns out, it was Tubby.

And yeah, Tubby really dropped the ball with Royce and Trevor. That must be why they both speak so highly of him.

Finally, the recruiting lately has been a concern. If we hired Tubby to get us back to the middle of the Big Ten, that is where I see the current talent leading us. If we want more from a top 5 coach, like a Big Ten title, I do not see the current level of recruiting accomplishing that goal.

Do you?

Ya, i mean the nations top 3-point shooter, two 4 star big men, a 4-star guard, and a lightning quick PG sure do not spell success. Especially when that same team a year younger knocked off MSU, Purdue, Butler, and Wisconsin in one season. But you are probably right. I am sure they will be terrible all of a sudden.

a) I didn't say he dropped the ball on them. I said he is responsible for them.

b) So you are satifisfied with the current sub .500 record after three years? You must be.

c) Who is the number 1 shooting guard and the lightening quick pg?

d) I never said terrible. I said "middle of the pack". Don't put words in my mouth.

Lot's of excuses here for Tubby I see. There is a difference between "let's fire the guy" and "concerned". The question was, who is concerned? Anyone not concerned that we are paying a guy top 5 money and haven't finished above the middle of the Big Ten is a very optimistic person in my mind.

Do you?

1) Tubby isn't paid Top 5 money. I don't know how you got that idea in your head.

2) Top 5 pay ≠ Top 5 coach

3) Even if he were either (paid or results, which he isn't), Top 5 coaches don't guarantee Top 5 results. The players still have to play the game.

4) If your expectation is that the Gophers are going to be a Top 5 program because they have a Top 5 coach (which, again, they don't), you are going to be severely disappointed.

5) Tubby is to blame for Royce White doing all the idiotic things he has done, and for Trevor Mbakwe being charged with a felony? He is responsible for Al Nolen being a dumba$$ and not keeping himself eligible? I mean, seriously? If you truly believe any of those things, you may as well stop following Gopher sports, because you will never be satisfied.

a) I didn't say he dropped the ball on them. I said he is responsible for them.

b) So you are satifisfied with the current sub .500 record after three years? You must be.

c) Who is the number 1 shooting guard and the lightening quick pg?

d) I never said terrible. I said "middle of the pack". Don't put words in my mouth.

Are you on the right board? This is University of Minnesota, not Penn State.

a) Not even going to address that moronic statement. Tubby doesn't follow students around 24/7

b) Tubby is not even close to below .500 at Minnesota, In fact they are 63 - 39 in his 3 seasons, a win percentage of .618. For non-math majors out there, that is not sub .500.

c) Blake Hoffarber led the nation in 3 point percentage much of last year. Devoe Joseph is a 4-star guard out of HS. and Ask Evan Turner about how quick Al Nolen is.

d) Its called hyperbole. I was exagerating for the point of emphasis. I believe most people got that.

1) Tubby isn't paid Top 5 money. I don't know how you got that idea in your head.

2) Top 5 pay ≠ Top 5 coach

3) Even if he were either (paid or results, which he isn't), Top 5 coaches don't guarantee Top 5 results. The players still have to play the game.

4) If your expectation is that the Gophers are going to be a Top 5 program because they have a Top 5 coach (which, again, they don't), you are going to be severely disappointed.

5) Tubby is to blame for Royce White doing all the idiotic things he has done, and for Trevor Mbakwe being charged with a felony? He is responsible for Al Nolen being a dumba$$ and not keeping himself eligible? I mean, seriously? If you truly believe any of those things, you may as well stop following Gopher sports, because you will never be satisfied.

When Tubby was hired he was a top 5 paid coach in the country. Now he is is 9th (last I looked). I do not expect him to be the 9th best program in the country. I do expect to contend for Big Ten titles.

As far as Royce and Trevor go, if Brewster recruits players that get kicked out of school, I hold him responsible. If Tubby's players do the same, I hold him responsible. It isn't his fault, but they are players that he recruited and not holding him responsible if they do not play, is a cop out. Same with Nolen.

I appreciate your concern about me as a Gopher fan. I have followed Gopher sports for 40 years. I am not satisifed with the football and basketball programs right now. Since you are satisifed with the basketball program, I applaud the high standard you have set for the program.

Are you on the right board? This is University of Minnesota, not Penn State.

a) Not even going to address that moronic statement. Tubby doesn't follow students around 24/7

b) Tubby is not even close to below .500 at Minnesota, In fact they are 63 - 39 in his 3 seasons, a win percentage of .618. For non-math majors out there, that is not sub .500.

c) Blake Hoffarber led the nation in 3 point percentage much of last year. Devoe Joseph is a 4-star guard out of HS. and Ask Evan Turner about how quick Al Nolen is.

d) Its called hyperbole. I was exagerating for the point of emphasis. I believe most people got that.

Tubby is sub .500 in the Big Ten as my first post indicated. Are you proud? Blake Hoffarber was not a Tubby recruit and he was on the 6th place Gopher team last year. Nolen? Ask Lucas how quick Nolen is. Ask any coach if Nolen can shoot, drive to the basket or run an offense. Apparently, Tubby doesn't think so. The Evan Turner game was Turner's first back after a long injury. Nolen is not a starting pg on a Big Ten title team. No way.

When Tubby was hired he was a top 5 paid coach in the country. Now he is is 9th. I do not expect him to be the 9th best program in the country. I do expect to contend for Big Ten titles.

As far as Royce and Trevor go, if Brewster recruits players that get kicked out of school, I hold him responsible. If Tubby's players do the same, I hold him responsible. It isn't his fault, but they are players that he recruited and not holding him responsible if they do not play, is a cop out. Same with Nolen.

I appreciate your concern about me as a Gopher fan. I have followed Gopher sports for 40 years. I am not satisifed with the football and basketball programs right now. Since you are satisifed with the basketball program, I applaud the high standard you have set for the program.

I love it when people think that things will just magically turn around for the better, especially when fortunes are centered on the lives and accomplishments of 18-22 year old kids.

The Gophers were 9-22 only three seasons ago? That's not my problem! Well, they got a good coach, so they better be winning multiple tournament games by the 3rd year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!@!@!!!111one

The Gophers haven't won a conference title in 43 years? Who cares? Big deal!!! Tim Brewster needs to have us playing in New Year's Day games by his 3rd season!!!!!11!!1@!@@one

I love it when people think that things will just magically turn around for the better, especially when fortunes are centered on the lives and accomplishments of 18-22 year old kids.

The Gophers were 9-22 only three seasons ago? That's not my problem! Well, they got a good coach, so they better be winning multiple tournament games by the 3rd year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!@!@!!!111one

The Gophers haven't won a conference title in 43 years? Who cares? Big deal!!! Tim Brewster needs to have us playing in New Year's Day games by his 3rd season!!!!!11!!1@!@@one

Nice rant, but I never said anything you are ranting about. I said I have concerns. Do you know what that word means? If Trevor does not play this year, I see another 6th place finish. I do not think that Tubby is currently recruiting talent for a championship run. Sorry if that offends you. Baskeytball is easier to turn around than football. 4 years is plenty of time to make a difference. Do I think we should fire Tubby? Not at all. He is a solid coach and I am hopeful that he will get us to the point where we can contend. That does not mean I do not have concerns right now. I do.

Plenty of negativity here among GH-ers. Success doesn't come from a negative atmosphere.

Bingo! Don't forget that Joe Coleman's brother also spent a year under Tubby's "tutelage." I got
stoned last season for saying "people inside the basketball world" talk amongst themselves, (especially with the advent of the internet) but that Cory Joseph song and dance was just to benefit Devoe, CJ NEVER planned to sign with the Gophers.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure some things out--if you pay close attention to the facts, not just your personal preferences/prejudices/University public relations posts.

Nice rant, but I never said anything you are ranting about. I said I have concerns. Do you know what that word means? If Trevor does not play this year, I see another 6th place finish. I do not think that Tubby is currently recruiting talent for a championship run. Sorry if that offends you. Baskeytball is easier to turn around than football. 4 years is plenty of time to make a difference. Do I think we should fire Tubby? Not at all. He is a solid coach and I am hopeful that he will get us to the point where we can contend. That does not mean I do not have concerns right now. I do.

First of all, it's only been 3 years. In terms of calendar years, seasons, whatever. Three seasons of basketball. He was hired on March 22, 2007. That means he has been here 3 years, 4 months, and 1 day. If you want to call that "four," be my guest, but I would call it three, especially considering the whole "3 season" thing.

Secondly, what on earth do you mean by "make a difference"? Do you realize how often the Gophers had been to the tournament before Tubby got here? One (1) time in sixteen seasons! Tubby has taken them there two seasons in a row.

Do you realize how many times Minnesota had 3 consecutive 20-win seasons before Tubby came here? That would be 0.0 times.

Do you realize that Tubby took virtually the same roster that went 9-22 (3-13) the year before, and went 20-14 (8-10) with them? And you're holding that "sub-.500 Big Ten record" against him? Unbelievable!

You can pretend Minnesota is some historic basketball powerhouse, and that Tubby is driving the well-oiled ship into the ground. I prefer to deal in reality, and realize that this institution is extremely lucky to have Orlando Smith as our head coach for as long as he will have us.

First of all, it's only been 3 years. In terms of calendar years, seasons, whatever. Three seasons of basketball. He was hired on March 22, 2007. That means he has been here 3 years, 4 months, and 1 day. If you want to call that "four," be my guest, but I would call it three, especially considering the whole "3 season" thing.

Secondly, what on earth do you mean by "make a difference"? Do you realize how often the Gophers had been to the tournament before Tubby got here? One (1) time in sixteen seasons! Tubby has taken them there two seasons in a row.

Do you realize how many times Minnesota had 3 consecutive 20-win seasons before Tubby came here? That would be 0.0 times.

Do you realize that Tubby took virtually the same roster that went 9-22 (3-13) the year before, and went 20-14 (8-10) with them? And you're holding that "sub-.500 Big Ten record" against him? Unbelievable!

You can pretend Minnesota is some historic basketball powerhouse, and that Tubby is driving the well-oiled ship into the ground. I prefer to deal in reality, and realize that this institution is extremely lucky to have Orlando Smith as our head coach for as long as he will have us.

You make good points. But lets also not pretend that this is "your daddy's 20 win seasons". It's a ton easier to win 20 than it used to be considering that there are more games and that we are serving up cupcakes for 11 out of the 1st 13 games in a lot of years. Personally if someone said your program will win exactly 20 games for the next 10 years I'd be unhappy. I'd much rather have us make a serious run at a regular season Big ten championship every 3 years and mix in a few 15 win seasons while we rebuild periodically. Doing what it takes every year just to be decent is not what I am looking for, especially while the coach is a big name $2 million dollar coach. This is the time. We need to go higher- much higher over these next two years. This needs to be a good recruiting season as well.

You sure like to put words in my mouth. I never said he was running the program into the ground. I never said it was a well-oiled machine. However, I also will never settle for mediocrity. You have apparently. The Gophers have played very weak schedules since Tubby arrived. The NC schedule has been ridiculously weak. My biggest concern is Big Ten record. You want to compare him with Monson? Wow, nice benchmark.

Tubby will be going into his 4th Big Ten season this year. What should we be happy with? Another .500 record and squeaking into the tourney or should we shoot for what Wisconsin has accomplished? When do you see us moving to the next level or should we just be happy we aren't 3-13 anymore?

Tubby is sub .500 in the Big Ten as my first post indicated. Are you proud? Blake Hoffarber was not a Tubby recruit and he was on the 6th place Gopher team last year. Nolen? Ask Lucas how quick Nolen is. Ask any coach if Nolen can shoot, drive to the basket or run an offense. Apparently, Tubby doesn't think so. The Evan Turner game was Turner's first back after a long injury. Nolen is not a starting pg on a Big Ten title team. No way.

The Gopher game was NOT Turner's first game back after the injury.

Go Gophers!!

You sure like to put words in my mouth. I never said he was running the program into the ground. I never said it was a well-oiled machine. However, I also will never settle for mediocrity. You have apparently.

Since when is realizing where the program was before Tubby got here, and realizing where it is now, settling for mediocrity? Which part of "1 tournament appearance in 16 seasons" vs. "2 tournament appearances in 3 seasons" did you not understand?

The Gophers have played very weak schedules since Tubby arrived. The NC schedule has been ridiculously weak. My biggest concern is Big Ten record.

Everyone keeps saying the Gophers play these ridiculously weak non-con schedules. While that may be true to some extent, they're somehow good enough to have granted us two at-large bids over the last two seasons. Would you rather win 20-22 games and be in the tournament, or win 17-19 and be in the NIT? I'll take the former, thanks.

You want to compare him with Monson? Wow, nice benchmark.

No, how about I go ahead and compare him to all Gophers coaches, ever.

There have been 17 coaches in Gophers men's basketball history. One (1) has 3 consecutive 20-win seasons. Two (2) have consecutive NCAA tournament appearances (Haskins, 1989-90, being the other). How do you like them apples?

Tubby will be going into his 4th Big Ten season this year. What should we be happy with? Another .500 record and squeaking into the tourney or should we shoot for what Wisconsin has accomplished?

Ahh, now we get to the real crux of the matter. You're jealous of Wisconsin and Bo Ryan. Tubby is supposed to turn water into wine and be contending for Big Ten championships by his 4th year. Never mind the fact that Ryan took over a well-established program that had gone to 3 tournaments (and an NIT) in 5 years under Dick Bennett. Tubby took over a team that had bottomed out and had not gone to a tournament in 17 years. Also ignore the fact that they had gone to the Final Four two years prior, while Minnesota has never been to a Final Four, and not to an Elite Eight in 17 years at the time.

Recruits are supposed to just ignore the facts and blindly come play for Tubby because he has a national championship he won 12 years ago and he earns a large salary. Now I understand completely.

When do you see us moving to the next level or should we just be happy we aren't 3-13 anymore?

Please enlighten me as to where the progress is not occurring:

(2006-07) (9-22, 3-13)
2007-08 20-14, 8-10, 2 wins in BT tourney, L in 1st round of NIT
2008-09 22-11, 9-9, 1 win in BT tourney, L in 1st round of NCAA
2009-10 21-14, 9-9 (with 60% of starting lineup missing either all or majority of season), 3 wins in BT tourney, L in 1st round of NCAA

While you're showing me where the progress is not occurring, please also enlighten me as to why a program that is historically a mediocre-to-poor Big Ten team is suddenly entitled to conference contention and deep tourney runs every year because they pay a high salary to a coach.

(P.S. Why are you castigating Tubby for a 4th season that hasn't even happened yet?)

I wasn't talking about his coaching or even really his recruiting ability. I was just saying that Barnes is able to put so many players in the NBA because he coaches at Texas. Monson could put a decent amount of players in the NBA coaching there. Texas is going to get quality recruits regardless of who the coach is.

Hahah, thank you. I'm glad someone else understood what I was saying.

Friend Of Tubby
Senior Member Join Date: Nov 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by underground629

Slow down FoT, take a breath. My gosh, underground629 was on the same page as you. It isn't you and Tubby against the world.

Sports are highlighted by individuals that tend to flock to teams or teamates that have had some success. This is true at the high school level (Hopkins), College (Kentucky), and Pro's (Miami). All it is going to take is to contend for a Big Ten Title and reach the Sweet 16 to turn the perception around. Without that it is going to be tough going on the recruiting end.

Sports are highlighted by individuals that tend to flock to teams or teamates that have had some success. This is true at the high school level (Hopkins), College (Kentucky), and Pro's (Miami). All it is going to take is to contend for a Big Ten Title and reach the Sweet 16 to turn the perception around. Without that it is going to be tough going on the recruiting end.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner at post #59 in the thread. This is correct. Tubby has the next few years to open that window. We need a very good year and soon.

Top Bottom