Cashius McNeilly & Emanuel Miller (Texas A&M) both in the portal

I would say that what you have been given IS basic information. Anything above and beyond would be given on a need to know basis that (I'm guessing) neither of us are a part of. I never said you were selfish, it just seems like you want information that you don't need to have. If Ben shares the info, great for all if here in GH. If not, so be it.

This will conclude my derailing of this thread.
This thread died as soon as Doogie made his tweet about McNeilly, more or less.

Then just give coach Johnson a call and see if he will share his presentation with you... You may have to wait, because the coach is busy trying to fulfill all of the other items that you guys are bitching about.

Are you really that blinded by your disappointment in our coach that you really think he is so incompetent to not have any strategy? You are actually suggesting that he has no substance and has no idea what to do before the first practice.

There is absolutely no reason, or purpose, for the head basketball coach at the University of Minnesota to explain ever detail of his plans to some yahoos on a message board. If you want to have a better understanding of what his plans are, then it is up to you to read and listen to ever interview that the staff has done.
I'm sure he has a strategy, which is why I was asking the board what it is beyond the white noise we've gotten. The responses I get are just appeal to authority and straw man attacks. You seem EXTREMELY positive on everything, I thought you may want to share what you've pulled from those interviews. My bad.

So just figure it out as he goes, that worked great last time. I thought Johnson sold the U on his grand vision for this program. I have a hard time believing that was just win games with local talent and no other substance. Every coach at this level should have an idea of what they want to do before the first practice. Especially when you've been in training mode for the last 15 years waiting for your shot.
Why does he have to tell you? He is describing his philosophy to recruits.

Yeah I don't know about that. He's the head coach, part of his job is also selling the program to the fan base. If he was an associate head coach or an assistant head coach, I get it.

For example, Pitino is on almost every week talking about the program at New Mexico on Youtube. PJ did the same thing when he was first hired here, yes yes ON TOP OF HIS RECRUITING, ETC DUTIES.

This is something BJ will learn, its a much harder workload to be a HC than just an assistant. IF he would have been promoted to associate head coach somewhere, hed have a better idea but thats ok
Honest question. How the hell do you know what your philosophy will be if you have no idea what your team will look like? Only a moron of a coach would commit to running any particular scheme until he knows what his / her team looks like. To whit, you may want to chuck the ball 45 times if Patrick Mahomes is your QB, but when goes down, you are likely to limit the passing game and up the ante for the run game.

At this point, I would suggest BJ's philosophy is try to win basketball games by whatever means maximizes those chances. Further, he probably wants to recruit players capable of playing his ideal scheme. From the looks of it, the 5 position will be irrelevant to his preferred scheme unless you plan on counting on a true freshmen in the Big 10.

I'm sure he has a strategy, which is why I was asking the board what it is beyond the white noise we've gotten. The responses I get are just appeal to authority and straw man attacks. You seem EXTREMELY positive on everything, I thought you may want to share what you've pulled from those interviews. My bad.
Listen to them yourself. You are the one saying you do known anything.

Honest question. How the hell do you know what your philosophy will be if you have no idea what your team will look like? Only a moron of a coach would commit to running any particular scheme until he knows what his / her team looks like. To whit, you may want to chuck the ball 45 times if Patrick Mahomes is your QB, but when goes down, you are likely to limit the passing game and up the ante for the run game.

At this point, I would suggest BJ's philosophy is try to win basketball games by whatever means maximizes those chances. Further, he probably wants to recruit players capable of playing his ideal scheme. From the looks of it, the 5 position will be irrelevant to his preferred scheme unless you plan on counting on a true freshmen in the Big 10.

a coach finds players to fit his system. In football, you can tweak your system for a specific player, say WR or TE as example, but in basketball you don't have 11 guys on offense and 11 guys on defense.

Every single article of the top MN guys committing elsewhere, they are always quoted as saying "I love the (insert coach) system, it fits me perfectly" from Chet to King to Suggs, etc etc.

So ideally he has a system, but it honestly sounds like he is not sure of what he is going to run.

That is OK. People on here get upset when others question what system hes going to run. He's never been a head coach, he doesn't know yet

Another great post! Keep them coming. You are psychic like know so much. You should host your own podcast and share your insight with the masses.

Yeah I don't know about that. He's the head coach, part of his job is also selling the program to the fan base. If he was an associate head coach or an assistant head coach, I get it.

For example, Pitino is on almost every week talking about the program at New Mexico on Youtube. PJ did the same thing when he was first hired here, yes yes ON TOP OF HIS RECRUITING, ETC DUTIES.

This is something BJ will learn, its a much harder workload to be a HC than just an assistant. IF he would have been promoted to associate head coach somewhere, hed have a better idea but thats ok

PJ is now four years into his tenure at Minnesota.

Johnson is a few weeks in and is scrambling to fill a roster.

No...he has zero obligation to sell you on anything.

PJ is now four years into his tenure at Minnesota.

Johnson is a few weeks in and is scrambling to fill a roster.

No...he has zero obligation to sell you on anything.
You a year zero guy?

No. That's stupid. Just don't think that Johnson is destined to fail because he hasn't laid out his coaching philosophy for the hyper critical "fans".
Oh I agree. Fleck is in year five so that's why I asked.

a coach finds players to fit his system. In football, you can tweak your system for a specific player, say WR or TE as example, but in basketball you don't have 11 guys on offense and 11 guys on defense.

Every single article of the top MN guys committing elsewhere, they are always quoted as saying "I love the (insert coach) system, it fits me perfectly" from Chet to King to Suggs, etc etc.

So ideally he has a system, but it honestly sounds like he is not sure of what he is going to run.

That is OK. People on here get upset when others question what system hes going to run. He's never been a head coach, he doesn't know yet
OK numb nuts, when exactly in the first weeks of being hired did PJ tell you personally that he was going to run a 3-4 or 4-3 defense, when the corners would press on the outside, if they were going to rely on the blitz or just a 3/4 man rush. When did he talk about his emphasis on a pro style or the rpo, or if he wanted a drop back passer or a runner at QB, etc. Tell us when PJ came out and told you the details that you are expecting from coach Johnson? And don’t go saying that you already knew it from watching all of the games he ever coached at much lower levels of play.

Yeah, I didn't even see the link to the article right away. Thought maybe he was bring his nephew and Miller after all, then I remembered Miller is going to TCU. My bad!

Reactions: Rex

Looks like the McNeilly trio is headed to TCU. They lost an assistant coach to Creighton so I'm assuming they would hire Jamie but I haven't seen anything on that yet.

That is McNeilly in the picture, the article talks about the Richmond guy?

WTF
That's our HC Ben Johnson.

They probably had a draft tweet up with McNeilly's name because it was assumed he was the hire.

They updated the article but never changed the tweet is my guess.

No. That's stupid. Just don't think that Johnson is destined to fail because he hasn't laid out his coaching philosophy for the hyper critical "fans".
Hey, many of us were perfectly happy with the potential / promise of the last crew we had. But, NO! Trust me you said. The grass is greener over there, you said. In fact, you said it is WAY greener over there. Well, some of us get to call bullshit. You thought it used to suck, some of us are old enough to know that it always sucks. So pardon us while we complain why you get all delusional.

Top Bottom