Carter Coughlin was among the protesters on the highway at the time of the semi-truck incident

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Howard:

Carter Coughlin, a former member of the Minnesota Gophers who was selected the New York Jets in the 2020 NFL draft, was among the protesters on the highway at the time of the incident.

"We were sitting in the middle of 35W when a white man drove a semi truck through the protest," Coughlin said in a now-deleted tweet. "To white America: that's what our colored brothers and sisters are dealing with. That's what a peaceful protest is met with. It's disgusting."

Coughlin later tweeted, "I don't have the self control to behave in a respectful manner to some of the tweets I've seen so I'm out."

Go Gophers!!

selected by the NY Giants in the draft - not the Jets. Cash Money plays for the Jets.

If he was trying to kill people, why did he honk his horn, slow down, and stop? I don’t know either, but these are questions that will need to be answered.

If he was trying to kill people, why did he honk his horn, slow down, and stop? I don’t know either, but these are questions that will need to be answered.
You can also see he pass about three emergency vehicles.

You can also see he pass about three emergency vehicles.

It takes a while to stop a semi. If he wanted to run people over, he could have swerved to the left, and pinned them up against the guard rail. But he didn’t.

Also...organizing on the freeway is stupid. Especially when the 5 PM freeway closing was announced about 20 minutes prior.

It will be interesting to learn what the investigation uncovers.

Watched the incident in real time on TV...Channel 9 I think.

Clearly heard the horn as the truck was coming in. It also slowed down quickly coming into the crowd.

Thank God the crowd was able to part to let the truck through.

No horn or slowing down and possibly hundreds terribly injured or worse.

Who knows anything beyond that. But this was what was on the screen.

Watched the incident in real time on TV...Channel 9 I think.

Clearly heard the horn as the truck was coming in. It also slowed down quickly coming into the crowd.

Thank God the crowd was able to part to let the truck through.

No horn or slowing down and possibly hundreds terribly injured or worse.

Who knows anything beyond that. But this was what was on the screen.

They said on TV that the truck was possibly in just before the barricades were put up. The truck driver may have been impatient with the line of cars trying to exit the freeway and decided to move on to another exit.

The hill came up fast and obscured the protesters on the freeway and he tried to stop the truck in time. The truck has a long stopping distance.

They said on TV that the truck was possibly in just before the barricades were put up. The truck driver may have been impatient with the line of cars trying to exit the freeway and decided to move on to another exit.

The hill came up fast and obscured the protesters on the freeway and he tried to stop the truck in time. The truck has a long stopping distance.
Especially when you're going over the speed limit.

Lucky no one died

super unfortunate because it was a great day of peaceful protest.
Police rightfully stepped in and saved that guys life. Police had to clear the bridge at that point because if the driver did have ill intentions that gas truck might be a giant bomb.

So unfortunate because to a protester on the ground it appears like someone tried to kill you and then the police used someone trying to kill you to violently break up your peaceful protest. I thought the police and protesters both did an awesome day yesterday all things considered and this unfortunate event (whatever the guys intention was) fanned the flames of tension. Hopefully the protesters see the video and become more understanding of the actions the police took on the macro level. There are individual events of police acting foolish and protesters acting foolish...but yesterday on the macro level it was a great day.

It takes a while to stop a semi. If he wanted to run people over, he could have swerved to the left, and pinned them up against the guard rail. But he didn’t.

Also...organizing on the freeway is stupid. Especially when the 5 PM freeway closing was announced about 20 minutes prior.

It will be interesting to learn what the investigation uncovers.

I get why people naturally want to assume the worst in a situation like this but I really don't think the driver had any intention of hurting people and this was just a freak accident that could have ended in a massive tragedy.

As you and others have said, if he wanted to kill people he doesn't slow down, he doesn't lay on the horn and he sure as hell doesn't stop right in the middle of an angry mob that will want to beat the hell out of him for nearly running them down.

I love CC but he let his emotion get the best of him with his reaction to this. Understandable at the time when you have no clue what is really happening and everyone is already on edge. But I will be shocked if it turns out the driver was out for blood in this case. The fact that nobody was injured or killed is a small miracle.

Just hoping for witnesses prior to the point where he went around 3 squad cars. Very possible that someone screwed up in that their didn't shut down the highway early enough and some how he slipped through. I would think that some officer early on what have seen that.

Many reports...KARE 11 reported 70.
Reports I saw/read said around 30 MPH...several protesters said the same when interviewed. Thank goodness nobody was hit.

Reports I saw/read said around 30 MPH...several protesters said the same when interviewed. Thank goodness nobody was hit.
Hopefully they can figure out how fast he was going. Now if he was going 30 before he went around the 3 squad cars, I would think you could slow down a truck. I haven't a clue about this mind you. I could see someone having trouble slowing down a truck going 50-70 miles per hours prior to him seeing the 3 squad cars, but 30 miles per hour prior to him seeing the 3 squad cars on the freeway? That would be about one mile to come to a stop at 30 miles per hour.

Hopefully no tankers going to gas stations at 30 miles per hour if it takes over a mile to come to a stop.

Horrifying to watch this on live TV. Glad nobody was seriously injured.

A fine, upstanding young man, and an example for us all. I'm proud of him.

I agree. The jury is out for me on this one.

The speed appearance is exaggerated due to the size of the truck and scurrying ant like people in comparison and the truck flashed into view on very short notice. It also appears that this very heavy truck was actually braking hard.

1-2 seconds of eyes off the road and boom, you are up that rise and there....

If this man wanted to hurt people, a slight swerve to the left would have killed and injured hundreds. He actually steered around a couple of people before coming to a stop.... and then having to fear for his life.

Lets find out how and where he came to be on the highway and what he has to say.

Top Bottom