Carter Coughlin was among the protesters on the highway at the time of the semi-truck incident

Hopefully they can figure out how fast he was going. Now if he was going 30 before he went around the 3 squad cars, I would think you could slow down a truck. I haven't a clue about this mind you. I could see someone having trouble slowing down a truck going 50-70 miles per hours prior to him seeing the 3 squad cars, but 30 miles per hour prior to him seeing the 3 squad cars on the freeway? That would be about one mile to come to a stop at 30 miles per hour.

Hopefully no tankers going to gas stations at 30 miles per hour if it takes over a mile to come to a stop.
S = (D/T)
The police already know exactly how fast he was going. Figuring that out won't be a problem.

State authorities have concluded that the driver was already on the freeway as it was closing, and that there was no intent on his part..... Star Tribune story minutes ago.

Thankfully a horrible ACCIDENT resulted in no injuries, or at least no serious injuries... including the driver. I thought I was going to witness his murder on live TV.

State authorities have concluded that the driver was already on the freeway as it was closing, and that there was no intent on his part..... Star Tribune story minutes ago.

Thankfully a horrible ACCIDENT resulted in no injuries, or at least no serious injuries... including the driver. I thought I was going to witness his murder on live TV.

But the news and the Governor said this was a stain in humanity. Why would they lie?...

But the news and the Governor said this was a stain in humanity. Why would they lie?...

Heat of the moment? Rush to judgement? I don't know. Just relaying info in the article I'd just read...

Heat of the moment? Rush to judgement? I don't know. Just relaying info in the article I'd just read...
My comment was rhetorical. Moreover what really kills me is channel 5 showed video where the frame rate was clearly sped up to condemn the drive. Our world is a joke, screw facts, push an agenda, narrative or flat out propaganda, then never apologize or recognize your actions and the damage you have done.

My initial reaction was this guy was a monster, but like others have said there could be other explanations. Hopefully we get the full story. Thank God no one was seriously hurt.

My comment was rhetorical. Moreover what really kills me is channel 5 showed video where the frame rate was clearly sped up to condemn the drive. Our world is a joke, screw facts, push an agenda, narrative or flat out propaganda, then never apologize or recognize your actions and the damage you have done.

I was treading cautiously.... ;)

My initial reaction was this guy was a monster,

That's a normal reaction.

I have yet to see a replay that had the horn honking too. That was a huge piece of information for those watching in real time on TV...and frankly...for those at the scene...BUT...I can empathize with feeling under attack in the moment as things unfolded.

Sounds like he already is
01eOgrn.gif

Shouldn’t this be in the Non football thread? Protesting is not football related.

Shouldn’t this be in the Non football thread? Protesting is not football related.

Coughlin is a recent prominent Minnesota football alumni and I was interested in this thread specifically because I want to know what those guys are up to.

Hopefully they can figure out how fast he was going. Now if he was going 30 before he went around the 3 squad cars, I would think you could slow down a truck. I haven't a clue about this mind you. I could see someone having trouble slowing down a truck going 50-70 miles per hours prior to him seeing the 3 squad cars, but 30 miles per hour prior to him seeing the 3 squad cars on the freeway? That would be about one mile to come to a stop at 30 miles per hour.

Hopefully no tankers going to gas stations at 30 miles per hour if it takes over a mile to come to a stop.
Where are you getting this from?

Stopping distance for a semi:

40 MPH 170'
55 MPH 335'
65 MPH 515'

So at 65 MPH, same as the height of the US Bank building.

Where are you getting this from?
KARE 11 showed two different videos of the truck incident. One where it shows where he went around the 3 cars, and then another one where he is has already pass the three cars. On the video where he went around the 3 cars, you only see that part of it for about 2-3 seconds if that but you clearly see it.

If he is going 30 miles an hour as people have said. Why couldn't he had stopped much earlier as he clearly saw the three cars ahead of him blocking the road and then he had at least 3/4 of a mile if not more before he would arrive to where the people were. He seemed to be going a pretty good clip about 1/4 mile before the people in my opinion. Just doesn't make sense to me. He says he got confused. If that is the case, he shouldn't be driving or should be charge with something.

KARE 11 showed two different videos of the truck incident. One where it shows where he went around the 3 cars, and then another one where he is has already pass the three cars. On the video where he went around the 3 cars, you only see that part of it for about 2-3 seconds if that but you clearly see it.

If he is going 30 miles an hour as people have said. Why couldn't he had stopped much earlier as he clearly saw the three cars ahead of him blocking the road and then he had at least 3/4 of a mile if not more before he would arrive to where the people were. He seemed to be going a pretty good clip about 1/4 mile before the people in my opinion. Just doesn't make sense to me. He says he got confused. If that is the case, he shouldn't be driving or should be charge with something.
Do you have a link? I have not seen that video or heard it being reported that way anywhere.

The biggest cause of accidents is abnormal circumstance. So your're driving down the road, a freeway where people regularly drive 70-80 MPH, and suddenly you see three cars blocking the road. At 60 MPH, in the 5 -10 seconds you take to analyze, you've gone 450-900 feet plus now 450' to stop, if you're lucky. That's a quarter mile just on its own.

I'm sure that you are so incredibly intelligent that you can analyze the situation and figure out immediately what to do. Watch the movie "Sully" some time and see how a really intelligent person takes time to analyze a situation, and then how you might.

Stop underthinking. Life isn't a video game.

The biggest cause of accidents is abnormal circumstance. So your're driving down the road, a freeway where people regularly drive 70-80 MPH, and suddenly you see three cars blocking the road. At 60 MPH, in the 5 -10 seconds you take to analyze, you've gone 450-900 feet plus now 450' to stop, if you're lucky. That's a quarter mile just on its own.

I'm sure that you are so incredibly intelligent that you can analyze the situation and figure out immediately what to do. Watch the movie "Sully" some time and see how a really intelligent person takes time to analyze a situation, and then how you might.

Stop underthinking. Life isn't a video game.
There is a pretty sharp left curve on 35W right before the area that had the protesters so I assume he had to slow down into that curve. An empty payload definitely helped him stop in a much shorter distance, it still was a very short distance before he was completely stopped.

Do you have a link? I have not seen that video or heard it being reported that way anywhere.
I went to KARE 11's website and they are only showing a short version of the incident on their site. They are not showing the longer one that shows he went around the 3 cars.

I agree that there is a pretty sharp curve on 35W right before the area that had the protesters. Ideally I suppose the officers should have been perhaps further back so anyone coming on the freeway would see the cars parked on the freeway earlier. Regardless it appears they didn't monitor the situation very well to assure all the cars were off 35W. Assuming they did it the way they did so that they could watch the protesters on the highway going the opposite direction.

In one sense if he really wanted to kill people he would have never used his horn or stop.

The police and guardsmen were quick thinking to get all the protesters away from the truck. The only way to do that quickly was using tear gas.

If some of the people around the fuel truck messed with the valves, a spark can easily ignite the fuel, turning it into a bomb. Imagine how many people could have been killed.

Hopefully, the protesters heard the reason why that it was not an attack on them by the police. It was out of concern for the safety of everyone in a very dangerous scenario.

When we finally get to the other side of all this...and I mean just to where we can try to address the issues in a civil fashion...and see all the facts...this driver will be one of the heroes.

He was dealt a hand that the odds of coming out of it without mayhem and more unjust death cannot be calculated.

Both he and the civil demonstrators were a victim of circumstance. It's really that simple.

At the time I thought "we just can't get a break in all this."

Actually, we did.

I didn’t understand from the beginning why so many people thought this was intentional, which is why I pointed out the horn honking and hammering on the breaks to avoid mowing over 100s of people. Oh, well.

On TV tonight, they were talking to the owner of a gas station still standing in the neighborhood ravaged with looting, fires, and destruction.

He's known the truck driver for quite a while. He is a good guy who is conscious of safety.

There were no more deliveries to the neighborhood, and no one wanted to deliver for fear of trouble.

But, this truck driver chose to deliver much needed gas to the neighborhood. He knows the neighborhood needed gas badly.

Where he entered the freeway after delivering gas, there were no barriers or signs of closure. That explains how he was driving that fast. He was caught by surprise with the protesters on the freeway.

We all saw or heard on TV what happened then.

Yeah I can't imagine what it would be like had he not stopped or not stopped in time ... just horrible.

I went to KARE 11's website and they are only showing a short version of the incident on their site. They are not showing the longer one that shows he went around the 3 cars.

I agree that there is a pretty sharp curve on 35W right before the area that had the protesters. Ideally I suppose the officers should have been perhaps further back so anyone coming on the freeway would see the cars parked on the freeway earlier. Regardless it appears they didn't monitor the situation very well to assure all the cars were off 35W. Assuming they did it the way they did so that they could watch the protesters on the highway going the opposite direction.

In one sense if he really wanted to kill people he would have never used his horn or stop.
You're embarrassing yourself.

I didn’t understand from the beginning why so many people thought this was intentional, which is why I pointed out the horn honking and hammering on the breaks to avoid mowing over 100s of people. Oh, well.

I'm the same way. I can totally understand why the people on the bridge were confused as it happened but it seemed very clear from the video that this was not intentional on the part of the driver and he had no intention of trying to hurt people.

So many people instantly want to assume the worst in everything. This one has felt like an accident on the part of the driver that could have turned into a horrible tragedy had he not laid on the horn and slowed his vehicle to an eventual stop.

If he wanted to kill people, you don't honk, you don't slow down, and you absolutely don't stop right in the middle of the group.

You're embarrassing yourself.
Why do you say that. My wife who was with me also saw it as well as to the longer version of the video. Not sure what is bugging you about it. I just pointed something out and if you want to make a mockery of something, well I guess that's the way it works these days.

We need to get Carter to quit running towards danger.

Top Bottom