Carson Shanks to Minnesota pretty much a done deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you and this happens in sports all the time where an AD/general manager wants to have his own guy in place. Ultimately, Teague is responsible for the athletic department and basketball/football are the two biggest drivers (sorry hockey) of the success or lack thereof.

Time will tell whether he made a splash. Tubby was a "splash" hire but didn't have "splash" results. Shaka was not a "splash" hire but had "splash" results. Too early to tell on Pitino.

I don't. Teague got a look at how Tubby ran the program and the results. Didn't like what he saw and made the move. Not to mention reports that many boosters wanted Tubby gone.

Nope. Illikainen and Johnson are both top-50/75ish recruits. Coffey is top 15-20ish and is the only one who could even charitably be called "elite". They are also all in-state recruits. The master recruiter is supposed to be getting us 5-star recruits out of NYC.

Somebody has to play the minutes and score. Again, I'm not talking about Deandre as he was never a low major recruit or player. Pay attention. I'm willing to mostly give him a pass for 2013, but look at 2014. It's very underwhelming for the alleged master recruiter.

You're right Deandre was a low major walk on who transfered to a JUCO

I don't. Teague got a look at how Tubby ran the program and the results. Didn't like what he saw and made the move. Not to mention reports that many boosters wanted Tubby gone.

Any AD who gives more than a cursory interest in what boosters think is a coward and should forfeit his salary. He runs the program, not the boosters. If they want to run it, they should do so and Teague should resign.

I think Tubby's fate was sealed when yet again we collapsed in B1G play, especially considering we had ascended to the top 10 in the country. If Tubby was ever going to avoid the B1G collapse it would have been last year. It was time for a change, for both parties.

Any AD who gives more than a cursory interest in what boosters think is a coward and should forfeit his salary. He runs the program, not the boosters. If they want to run it, they should do so and Teague should resign.

You didn't really say anything meaningful in regards to the subject.

Edit: I do agree with your comments about boosters however.

I'm sure that played into it too. Tubby was a little bit of a victim of his own success last year, getting as high as 8th in the country. Then the fall felt so much more dramatic.

Thank you. You're right, you cannot really tell to much. I was hoping to see if he had better lift than EE, but that wasn't possible to determine through that video. His footwork did some ok, but he was also much taller than everyone else.

He does not have greater lift than EE. He is probably equal in athleticism to EE. Better outside shot and I would argue slightly better post technique. Not as rugged as EE and probably, at this point, doesn't finish at the rim with the same "strength" EE has today.

I'm sure that played into it too. Tubby was a little bit of a victim of his own success last year, getting as high as 8th in the country. Then the fall felt so much more dramatic.

I think Teague had Tubby half way out the door when the season started. Only a very, very good year could save his job.

Find me one (just one) other example, ever, in any sport, of a coach getting fired coming off his best year in his position (no illegalities or violations involved) and I'll concede the point.

2pruux0.jpg

I think Teague had Tubby half way out the door when the season started.

Exactly. Outside of ridiculous success (Final Four or Elite 8 run), performance didn't matter - as I've stated.

Exactly. Outside of ridiculous success (Final Four or Elite 8 run), performance didn't matter - as I've stated.

Six straight seasons of finishing in the bottom half of the Big Ten, the longest streak since 1988, had no bearing on his ouster?

Six straight seasons of finishing in the bottom half of the Big Ten, the longest streak since 1988, had no bearing on his ouster?

No more than the 3 NCAA appearances in 5 years (done by no other Minnesota coach, ever) and the most successful Minnesota season in 23 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom