Cardale Jones is coming back to Ohio State

But diehard. He was the number 3 quarterback. Do you think if all 3 truly do come back or if even Miller transfers that Jones will be the number 1 QB at OSU and get the opportunity to raise his stock? I agree OSU could win another National Championship and if they did and if he was the #1 QB, then yes but ... He could be #1 overall but it'll surprise me. He was dang good 3 times out. Can he duplicate that next year? Will he get the chance? Urban Meyer is not dumb...why was he #3? People have career years, his might have been 3 games. He's got a cannon and played awesome. Staying is greedy. Barkley USC fell off a bunch. Other examples. Not everybody gets better...big discussion on the basketball side.

I'm with you 100%. Jones should have gone pro while his stock was hot. Right now, no one has seen his warts. If he even gets on the field next, he'd have to win every single game and a National Championship to hold serve. There's a reason he was #3 on the depth chart. Sometimes a little mystery is the best thing a recruit can ask for. I'm not saying he was going to be a 1st round pick if he came out, but he would have been picked. If he stays two more years at OSU and is barely used, then he becomes the answer to a trivia question and might not get drafted at all. Plus, this is a guy who clearly doesn't love school and is there strictly to get himself into the league, so why not go when you've got the chance?

I'm with you 100%. Jones should have gone pro while his stock was hot. Right now, no one has seen his warts. If he even gets on the field next, he'd have to win every single game and a National Championship to hold serve. There's a reason he was #3 on the depth chart. Sometimes a little mystery is the best thing a recruit can ask for. I'm not saying he was going to be a 1st round pick if he came out, but he would have been picked. If he stays two more years at OSU and is barely used, then he becomes the answer to a trivia question and might not get drafted at all. Plus, this is a guy who clearly doesn't love school and is there strictly to get himself into the league, so why not go when you've got the chance?

No offense CRG, but he said in his press conference that getting his degree was important to him, so from the sounds of it, school seems to be important to him. If you are basing that statement off of a tweet he sent 2 years ago, I guess that is your opinion. But, to me, he seems like he learned from a very stupid mistake and seems quite genuine. It appears as though he has grown up quite a bit. Just my opinion.

FWIW, he could not play again and still get drafted. While not likely, Matt Cassell was a starting NFL QB 3 times and got 1 huge deal without taking a single college snap.

While I agree Jones should have gone, I think he will get his shot in the NFL regardless assuming he doesn't crash and burn at OSU. Just has to stay healthy and not be awful.

FWIW, he could not play again and still get drafted. While not likely, Matt Cassell was a starting NFL QB 3 times and got 1 huge deal without taking a single college snap.

While I agree Jones should have gone, I think he will get his shot in the NFL regardless assuming he doesn't crash and burn at OSU. Just has to stay healthy and not be awful.
Cassel played 32 games for USC. Only went 20-33 passing,

The thing about coming out this year is there really aren't any stud QB's coming out besides Mariota. It's not like last year. He could easily be the 2nd best QB. Next year Winston will almost certainly come out, plus a couple other guys I can't remember at the moment. If he plays as well next year as he did in the playoffs it's not an issue and he could significantly improve his draft position. If he doesn't, he could hurt himself. Just never know.

If Braxton Miller is returning (which is a little doubtful as the rumors of transferring to FSU if Winston came out then to LSU when Winston said he's not are running rampant), I'm not sure this is a good move. Jones looked good when he was the guy in the playoffs. Will he look that good for a drive or two a game?

He's been beaten out by Miller for 3-4 years now, right? If all are healthy (which is questionable for sure), what leads us to think that two games will change that?

The thing about coming out this year is there really aren't any stud QB's coming out besides Mariota. It's not like last year. He could easily be the 2nd best QB. Next year Winston will almost certainly come out, plus a couple other guys I can't remember at the moment. If he plays as well next year as he did in the playoffs it's not an issue and he could significantly improve his draft position. If he doesn't, he could hurt himself. Just never know.

If Braxton Miller is returning (which is a little doubtful as the rumors of transferring to FSU if Winston came out then to LSU when Winston said he's not are running rampant), I'm not sure this is a good move. Jones looked good when he was the guy in the playoffs. Will he look that good for a drive or two a game?

He's been beaten out by Miller for 3-4 years now, right? If all are healthy (which is questionable for sure), what leads us to think that two games will change that?

Winston is coming out this year.

Umm. Winston is entering the draft. Where have you been? See below.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000455078/article/jameis-winston-intends-to-enter-2015-nfl-draft

Personally I don't expect Jones to start for one main reason, that he is not good at executing the base offense that Meyer loves, the zone read. The coaches did their best to avoid forcing Jones to make a decision about whether to hand the ball off or keep it himself, he didn't have to pitch the ball one time in 3 games, and he still got confused about whether to hand it off to Elliott (resulting in a fumble vs. Oregon). Clearly Jones is not comfortable with that at this point, maybe he can improve on it this offseason, but if the zone read still isn't part of the offense with Jones at QB, he's just not going to start.

Urb has shown the willingness to adjust. With Jones they become a more physical running team and also a better downfield passing team. Oregon was determined to prevent the downfield throws and got killed up front. I think Jones simply brings another element to the offense. That said there's no real wrong answer here

My guess is that Miller would start for OSU next year. He has better arm strength than Barrett, can execute all the option and QB running plays that Meyer wants to run, and he is the most veteran and experienced QB of the group. I say this but yet I think Barrett makes better decisions and is more fluid in executing the zone read than Miller, and Jones is also better when deciding where and when to pass the ball than Miller (both probably are more durable). Miller being more injury-prone might somehow cause it to be more sensible to start him knowing he is likely to get hurt and miss snaps in many games and allow the backups to get in the games.

I believe Jones starts the season as #1 - he looked great running the offense and beat three top teams in the country. You don't make a QB change after winning the National Championship, I'm sure Meyer assured him it's his job to lose after performing at this level. I would predict Miller would use transfer soon to get into spring ball with another team.

I believe Jones starts the season as #1 - he looked great running the offense and beat three top teams in the country. You don't make a QB change after winning the National Championship, I'm sure Meyer assured him it's his job to lose after performing at this level. I would predict Miller would use transfer soon to get into spring ball with another team.

The problem with this is that JT Barrett is better than Jones. I don't see tOSU picking Braxton simply because he is a senior. He plays at WR or for another team. That leaves JT as the starter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem with this is that JT Barrett is better than Jones. I don't see tOSU picking Braxton simply because he is a senior. He plays at WR or for another team. That leaves JT as the starter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Ohio State fan here.) Jones will almost certainly start next year, not because he's better than Miller or Barrett, but because he's really Ohio State's only option. It sounds like Miller's shoulder may not fully heal ... ever. JT Barrett will definitely not be ready for spring practice, and he may not be healthy until the end of July. The funny thing is that the Buckeyes would have been sort of screwed at the QB position if Cardale had gone pro (at least for a while), which is probably why Urban put the hard sell on Cardale to come back.

Top Bottom