Can't shake the feeling...

There'll be years of discussion, for sure. Not sure what % will be thoughtful. I'll put the over/under at 50% and take the under.

Big-time head coaching is a draining, never-ending responsibility that requires immense reserves of energy. You don't think hauling around an extra 100 pounds has an impact on stamina over time? Unrealistic post.

You don't think the same thing could be said about being a defensive coordinator? His responsibilities have changed but it's not like his workload is going from 40 hours a week to 80 hours a week. Assistants work just as hard and as many hours as the head coach. In some situations, even more. He seems to have done just fine to this point in his career.

I'm sure he would be the first to say he should lose some weight but I don't think it will be a huge deal.

No, they don't but there is much more involved here. For example, coaches are fond of exhorting their players to make sacrifices and take on difficult challenges. When a coach is grossly overweight, the message rings hollow. On examination,the disconnect should be obvious. There are also inarguable probabilities that point to health episodes for the obese. In addition, Claeys is one of the highest-paid public employees in the state. He does not work for a corporation. What is wrong with a little accountability?
Limegrover was about as big as Claeys but went on a major, long term diet for health reasons. I've known obese people who died in their forties from diabetes, heart attacks, etc., and Claeys should be quietly working to correct the situation - maybe he is.

And now begins the Claeys vs. Kill vs. Mason debate. It should provide years of thoughtful discussion and debate on GH.

I like this. I only wish coaches had numbers too so we could use the cute nicknames everyone loves... GM12, JK39, TC73, etc. that would make the debate even better.

I like this. I only wish coaches had numbers too so we could use the cute nicknames everyone loves... GM12, JK39, TC73, etc. that would make the debate even better.

That might work with baseball. Don't the coaches in baseball wear #s?

Frankly, I am more worried about Coach Claeys' health than Coach Kill's.

With heart attacks, it can be fatal the first time you get one. I've heard too many stories of people dying in their sleep with heart attacks.

Being a major college football program head coach can be very stressful health-wise. Long demanding hours can lead to bad eating and sleeping habits.

He should take the lead of some of his players like Mitch Leidner and lead by example to overcome adversities.

Maybe Beth Goetz or the next AD should consider putting in a health clause when the contract extension is done. We've got to start taking care of our coaches' health like we take care of the student athletes' well-being.

Big-time head coaching is a draining, never-ending responsibility that requires immense reserves of energy. You don't think hauling around an extra 100 pounds has an impact on stamina over time? Unrealistic post.

Joe Pa was managing it at 80. Pretty sure our guy has more stamina than an octogenarian. For his own sake I hope he manages his weight, from a job performance standpoint it's close enough to irrelavant to be ignored.

Personally, I am worried about Adam Weber's carb intake. He has a penchant for taking 2 bagels during team meetings. I think we should not hire him as QB coach until he gets this fixed.

He seems to have done just fine over the past 20 Plus years, assistants work just as hard as the head coach

With heart attacks, it can be fatal the first time you get one. I've heard too many stories of people dying in their sleep with heart attacks.

Being a major college football program head coach can be very stressful health-wise. Long demanding hours can lead to bad eating and sleeping habits.

He should take the lead of some of his players like Mitch Leidner and lead by example to overcome adversities.

Maybe Beth Goetz or the next AD should consider putting in a health clause when the contract extension is done. We've got to start taking care of our coaches' health like we take care of the student athletes' well-being.

You know nothing about his health other than his appearance. There is a 0% chance a clause is put in there based on his appearance. If there is underlying health issues, MAYBE, but you cannot and should not discriminate (which is what this is) based on whether or not someone is fat.

To assess Claeys' health, you would have to have a lot more info: cholesterol levels - blood pressure - family history - blood sugar - maybe a treadmill stress test. Point being, you cannot diagnose medical issues by just looking at someone.

Ralph Freidgen age 68
Mark Mangino age 59
Two coaches known for their girth that seem to have done OK.

I have always been an outspoken Kill fan, even during the hiring process when more high profile names were being thrown around.

As much of a loyalist as I am, I'm getting a sneaking feeling that Claeys will have a lot more success than Kill (and not just because he's starting further ahead).

Claeys will take us to a New Years Six bowl in his tenure.

I think Claeys is football smarter than Kill, but will he be able to motivate the players like Kill?..

You know nothing about his health other than his appearance. There is a 0% chance a clause is put in there based on his appearance. If there is underlying health issues, MAYBE, but you cannot and should not discriminate (which is what this is) based on whether or not someone is fat.

My mistake for saying what I've said out of concern for his health, but totally insensitive. I humbly apologize.

He seems to have done just fine over the past 20 Plus years, assistants work just as hard as the head coach

It's possible to get by with poor health habits for years. When they are indulged in middle age, episodes are being invited.

I am a worry wart. After all the health scare we've had with Coach Kill, I just am conditioned to worry.

So why do you think he's going to have a heart attack?

Kill had Epilepsy/seizures and documented health issues while he was at Minnesota. You claimed you are MORE worried about Clayes than Kill, why?

I was worried about both of them.

My worry about Coach Claeys is totally baseless in all likelihood.

There is a history of heart attacks on my mom's side of the family.

I was worried about both of them.

My worry about Coach Claeys is totally baseless in all likelihood.

There is a history of heart attacks on my mom's side of the family.
It's ok, you can admit that you think he is more likely to have a heart attack because he is fat.

Just understand that doesn't mean he's "unhealthy" at least to a point where the u can do much about it.

Top Bottom