Can/will Seth Green take the next step in his evolution?

I would think it would be tougher for both the offensive and defensive line dealing with Seth. Much energy is being used as everyone knows its a run for the most part up the middle so everyone is wearing out when this happens.

So like a typical passing play where you plan to pass?

Man you gotta have Morgan back there then.....
I mean you line up in wild car formation with Green. And you have the plays in the playbook to call a run or pass, maybe RPO/play action if it works (don't know).

In theory, if you don't want to give it away, you have Morgan be a WR then. But let's be honest, Green doesn't play at WR. So as soon as he comes on the field, the defensive staff are yelling "wildcat!" into the headsets.

Just think it would be more effective (again, talking non-short yardage situations here) if there was some conflict that the defense had to worry about.

I would love to see them run play action out of the Green Line and go deep.

Seth is a exact replica of a former Wisc. Badger player by the name of Owen Daniel, a player Coach Fleck might have played against in high school. He was an athletic QB for two years and had a very similar physical build as Seth. They switched him to tight end and all he did for the next 3 years is cause havoc and match-up problems with their opponents defenses.
He played 11 years in NFL and was a 2 time All Pro. I might be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that Coach Sanford runs a tight end in the slot scheme in some of his offense. Seth would certainly be a match up problem in that situation. He is just too good of an athlete not to get more playing time.

The one wrinkle I'd like to see is both Seth and Tanner in the backfield. Line Seth up as a running back next to Morgan. More of a legitimate passing threat but you also use Seth's running skills. Could still snap to Seth occasionally, plus either QB could pass it.
That sounds fun and a little dangerous, but I would like to see it. PJ could call it the Lakeville Goldy play.

Does he not remember the Gray years?

Like not to knock Gray, but mobile big guy QB who isn't a great thrower is ... like the universal recipient for mediocrity as far as team results go.

Gray is a great example. There's a lot of warped views on this board of past Gopher QBs. Gray does not stack up well in the passing department. Here are some of the most notable Gopher QBs of all time and their career stats (I've posted this before, but added Gray for comparison). Gray was a great guy though who did whatever the coaches asked of him - a great teammate, just not a great passer.
Edit: Updated to include passer rating.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Maybe he can use all of this potential "down time" to knock about 0.3 seconds off of his 40 time and be the next Derrick Henry. ;)

Honestly, I wonder if the wildcat gets used as much this year with the new OC.

Seth is a exact replica of a former Wisc. Badger player by the name of Owen Daniel, a player Coach Fleck might have played against in high school. He was an athletic QB for two years and had a very similar physical build as Seth. They switched him to tight end and all he did for the next 3 years is cause havoc and match-up problems with their opponents defenses.
He played 11 years in NFL and was a 2 time All Pro. I might be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that Coach Sanford runs a tight end in the slot scheme in some of his offense. Seth would certainly be a match up problem in that situation. He is just too good of an athlete not to get more playing time.
I'm talking out of my rear end here .... but I suspect that Seth can't block or catch very well. He can be an athlete, and he can throw a decent ball.

Otherwise, it would've absolutely made sense that he would see the field at TE or WR, given his size and athletic ability. But he clearly hasn't, therefore my previous conclusion.

Honestly, I wonder if the wildcat gets used as much this year with the new OC.
It has been a staple for short yardage, and suspect it could continue in that capacity.

I like when they do the quick/read option look with Mo as the other back. Mo is a bowling ball of speed and muscle.

It has been a staple for short yardage, and suspect it could continue in that capacity.

I like when they do the quick/read option look with Mo as the other back. Mo is a bowling ball of speed and muscle.

I realize it has been, but a new OC calls different plays. I'd have to go back and watch, but I wonder if it was used in the bowl game. I liked when they'd line up with Smith next to Green and direct snap it to Smith.

When we talk about throwing to a TE one thing to consider is ...there are other guys who can catch at TE ...

Like this guy

I've been informed by top minds on this forum that throwing to TEs is clearly dumb. After all, Bateman averaged 20 yards a catch. Why would you want to have fewer YPC?

I realize it has been, but a new OC calls different plays. I'd have to go back and watch, but I wonder if it was used in the bowl game. I liked when they'd line up with Smith next to Green and direct snap it to Smith.
It was used multiple times in the Bowl game. Once from 1st and 10 (which I'm also not a fan of), they ran it thrice in the series where they overturned 2 TD's and Seth threw the TD on 4th down to Witham. I'd be shocked to see it disappear next year. I also wouldn't be surprised to see someone else take over the role if they have another guy who fits that role. It's obviously been hard to stop in short yardage, so why would you go away from something that has mostly been effective even when everyone in the stadium knows what is coming?

I've been informed by top minds on this forum that throwing to TEs is clearly dumb. After all, Bateman averaged 20 yards a catch. Why would you want to have fewer YPC?
Well I'm not sure two passes really confirms that or refutes it either.

Well I'm not sure two passes really confirms that or refutes it either.

Sorry if my dripping sarcasm wasn't coming through effectively :p We should absolutely diversify our passing offense.

Nobody thinks throwing to the TE is dumb there are just a lot of us in here that are not offended by the fact that to this point we have not thrown to the TE much whereas others are obsessed with the concept.

If Sanford and Simon want to increase the TE involvement in the passing game, awesome. But if they choose not to throw to the TE I won't lose any sleep over it the way some clearly do. :)

Top Bottom