Can/will Seth Green take the next step in his evolution?

skauma

Reaction score
Seth stepped up big time, without really having a position two years ago as the Wild Cat QB. He has since scored 16 TDs (13 rushing, 3 passing), and become an impact player while having a relatively small role as a player.

The Wild Cat seems to be a diminishing role for this offense. Seth went from 81 plays in the Wild Cat in 2018, to 30 this recent year. Maybe with the departures of Rodney and Shannon, the Wild Cat will make a little more of a comeback to try to get the ground game going, but I'm not counting on it.

The next step for him, would be to have an established WR (or TE) role on the team. Can he take that next step and find a role as one of the top 4 receivers on the team? Not sure theres much room for him, even with Tyler going pro, but I love cheering this guy on, and hope he finds another way to contribute. Even if he doesnt, I love this niche role he has, and he's so damned effective in it.

I just hope they get him on the field from time to time. Has been a great leader and contributor when called upon. Would hate to see his role diminish in his last year as a Gopher.

I just hope they get him on the field from time to time. Has been a great leader and contributor when called upon. Would hate to see his role diminish in his last year as a Gopher.
They'll get him on the field no doubt with the wildcat, just might be even more diminished this next year than it was last. He'll no doubt still have at least a small handful of game changing plays there. Just wondering if he'll step up elsewhere. The coaching staff was very creative in the role they came up with for Seth, they might need to be a bit more creative this next year. H-back maybe?

I hope they abandon the wildcat plays on first down that they seemed to run sometimes.

I am just excited to see what the next evolutionary step is for the Gophers to get athletic guys on the field and make an impact.

I am just excited to see what the next evolutionary step is for the Gophers to get athletic guys on the field and make an impact.
me too. PJ is still coaching a team that fully isn't his. He has done a great job with some of the holdovers from the previous regime. It was great coaching for his team to come up with a role for a player like Seth that was too talented to ignore, but I'm guessing that role would never be on this team if Seth wasn't here. And when Seth is gone, I don't think we will see that wildcat be a part of the gameplan. I don't think its something PJ will recruit for, just something he and his staff came up with to get a talented player some touches. Thats also a big part of why I think the evolution of Seth will have to come from him being more impactful at WR. They aren't going to continue to cater to him now that they are one season more into building what they envision the offense to look like.

I am not sure Green has the talent to be a wide receiver on this team that sees significant other action. Too much other talent. Greens role is probably to be the wildcat guy and maybe and H back /TE...problem is I’m not sure if he is a good enough blocker for that

I am not sure Green has the talent to be a wide receiver on this team that sees significant other action. Too much other talent. Greens role is probably to be the wildcat guy and maybe and H back /TE...problem is I’m not sure if he is a good enough blocker for that
I realize it's not the only skill required to be an effective wide receiver, however, I'm wondering is he fast enough to create seperation from DBs?

Not a fan of what we did with the wild cat. Almost always a running play, until it wasn't vs Auburn.

Touche as such, but would rather it be a more effective run/pass conflict when/if used during the regular season.

Rutm today. Rutm tomorrow. Rutm forever. As far as Seth Green is concerned yes I am aware he threw a pass.

I love when Seth Green runs the wildcat. I just wish we would attempt a few more throws out of that formation, and I wish we would stop the fake hand-offs from that formation. It often allows the defense more time to get into the backfield.

I love when Seth Green runs the wildcat. I just wish we would attempt a few more throws out of that formation, and I wish we would stop the fake hand-offs from that formation. It often allows the defense more time to get into the backfield.

In terms of evolution for Seth I think more throws would really be the one key area where his role could expand. I don't see him ever becoming a factor at WR or TE, he has a well defined role on the team and it is one he has proven very effective at. I know they list him as a WR on the roster but I see him as a QB and don't really expect to see him make an impact at any other spot.

Not a fan of what we did with the wild cat. Almost always a running play, until it wasn't vs Auburn.

Touche as such, but would rather it be a more effective run/pass conflict when/if used during the regular season.
6/31 touches he had this year were touchdowns.
19%
I don’t know what percent of his touches were first first downs but for a guy who had 20+ touches he had to have one of the highest touchdown rates in the history of college football....and I bet his first down rate was pretty high too.

19%
I don’t know what percent of his touches were first first downs but for a guy who had 20+ touches he had to have one of the highest touchdown rates in the history of college football....and I bet his first down rate was pretty high too.
Sorry I wasn’t more clear: no problem with it for short yardage.

19%

19%!!!!

If we just keep giving him the ball we could break some records!!!!

Not much attention is ever given to special teams, but Seth is an active participant there too.

I hear ya, but the man is a scoring / 1st down machine as it is ... I can't help but think that working on passing would more likely than not reduce the number of positive outcomes.

I'd like to see passing as a more realistic threat ... but I suspect that in trying to make that happen it's possible it just doesn't work out for the better.

I gotta think in practice they're trying it and maybe not seeing a better option often enough to pull the trigger on gameday.

Last edited:

I have occasional discussions with an old friend about Gopher football. The really entertaining part is when he tries to convince me that Seth Green should be the starting quarterback. It will start out something like this..."Tanner Morgan is too small and can't move. Seth Green is huuuuge and hard to take down."
And just for the sake of adding something, I say "He should be a tight end".
Then I get something like this...

Psh GIFs | Tenor

I have occasional discussions with an old friend about Gopher football. The really entertaining part is when he tries to convince me that Seth Green should be the starting quarterback. It will start out something like this..."Tanner Morgan is too small and can't move. Seth Green is huuuuge and hard to take down."
And just for the sake of adding something, I say "He should be a tight end".
Then I get something like this...

Psh GIFs | Tenor

Does he not remember the Gray years?

Like not to knock Gray, but mobile big guy QB who isn't a great thrower is ... like the universal recipient for mediocrity as far as team results go.

Does he not remember the Gray years?

Like not to knock Gray, but mobile big guy QB who isn't a great thrower is ... like the universal recipient for mediocrity as far as team results go.
Not only did he jump on the Seth bandwagon when Seth committed to the U, he made his way to the front and threw the driver out the window, cranked up the stereo, grabbed hold of the steering wheel and floored it. He could not wait for the Leidner era to be done and thought Seth Green was finally the answer. Also, he's too proud to admit he is wrong so he won't back down. He's a great guy, but when it comes to the Seth Green topic, he is like Donald Trump - "I'm right. You're wrong". Even though he knows he's wrong.

Not only did he jump on the Seth bandwagon when Seth committed to the U, he made his way to the front and threw the driver out the window, cranked up the stereo, grabbed hold of the steering wheel and floored it. He could not wait for the Leidner era to be done and thought Seth Green was finally the answer. Also, he's too proud to admit he is wrong so he won't back down. He's a great guy, but when it comes to the Seth Green topic, he is like Donald Trump - "I'm right. You're wrong". Even though he knows he's wrong.

Was with you up to the last line. At the risk of turning this into a politics thread, I don't think Trump would ever believe he is wrong about anything.

There are always going to be those fans that assume that the backup QB is more talented than the starter and for some reason the coaches, who see the players every single day, can't seem to figure it out.

Seth is a really good athlete without a position. It's hard to say what his evolution would even be. He's too big to be a WR, too small to be an effective blocking TE, and not a good enough passer to be a full-time QB. He's a really good wildcat QB in the college game.

There are those players that just capture the attention of a fan or fans.

And I end up thinking "You know maybe he is Steve Unitas....but I'm thinking that the coaches would have noticed...."

Seth is a really good athlete without a position. It's hard to say what his evolution would even be. He's too big to be a WR, too small to be an effective blocking TE, and not a good enough passer to be a full-time QB. He's a really good wildcat QB in the college game.

See, I would contend that wildcat QB is a position. Might not have a traditional listing on the roster but it is clearly the role he is slotted.

What gets trickier for Seth is what if any prospects he will have at the next level. But in terms of the college game he has a very well defined role on this team and it is one he is very good at.

See, I would contend that wildcat QB is a position. Might not have a traditional listing on the roster but it is clearly the role he is slotted.

What gets trickier for Seth is what if any prospects he will have at the next level. But in terms of the college game he has a very well defined role on this team and it is one he is very good at.
I don't think the current staff came in with the intention of running the wildcat and trying to figure out who to put there. Rather, they figured out in practice that Green was really good at it and created a niche role for him. When Green graduates, I think the wildcat goes away.

I hear ya, but the man is a scoring / 1st down machine as it is ... I can't help but think that working on passing would more likely than not reduce the number of positive outcomes.
Depends if we would consider actively using this in non-short yardage situations.

If so, then its playbook has to expand a bit more, in my layman's opinion.

Or maybe not. Maybe you put in 6OL, a big blocking back, two big blocking OL, and you basically tell the defense "here I come asshole! try to stop me!"

Depends if we would consider actively using this in non-short yardage situations.

If so, then its playbook has to expand a bit more, in my layman's opinion.

Or maybe not. Maybe you put in 6OL, a big blocking back, two big blocking OL, and you basically tell the defense "here I come asshole! try to stop me!"

So like a typical passing play where you plan to pass?

Man you gotta have Morgan back there then.....

The one wrinkle I'd like to see is both Seth and Tanner in the backfield. Line Seth up as a running back next to Morgan. More of a legitimate passing threat but you also use Seth's running skills. Could still snap to Seth occasionally, plus either QB could pass it.

Top Bottom