Can This Team Come Close to 1997?

jamiche

Reaction score
The current roster is a legitimate 12 deep with a lot of talent and potential. Tubby's two challenges will be finding playing time for everybody (inevitably there are going to be 2-3 guys who end up unhappy) and finding someone on the roster who can take over a game when necessary. Is there a Bobby Jackson on this team?

Sitting in the U of M building at the State Fair watching the highlight reel from last year's team what stood out to me was how so many plays were made by Damian and Lawrence. It was really their highlight reel. (Damian is such a great passer. I had forgotten that already.)

While I don't think there is a Bobby Jackson on this team, my opinion is that the success of this team will be marked by how far those two can take us. Lawrence needs to be a finisher on the wing during the fast break and not the distributor. Damian needs to stay healthy and if his learning curve has continued like it has for 3 years now, watch out.

Can we win by committee? We'll see. Who are going to be the 6-8 players that see all the minutes down the stretch in the Big Ten games? I am excited to find out!

Lawrence needs to be a finisher on the wing during the fast break and not the distributor.

Well, if Lawrence has the ball, he will be the finisher on the fast break - whether it's a good idea or not

This team is missing a dominant perimeter scorer. Joseph, White, and possibly Carter have the potential to become that person... Westbrook is just too short. He is unquestionably our best shooter, but his handle isn't great and the fact of the matter is that he's just too short once he penetrates, and a larger defender with good quickness can put the clamps on him on the perimeter.

Joseph has a slightly odd release on his jumper, kind of slinging it from behind his head.. it makes it a very hard shot for defenders to interfere with, but Joseph needs to work on his handle and attacking the rim, as well as his free-throw shooting.

If Royce takes to the SF position and plays in a similar way to Evan Turner, attacking the basket, he could be the guy. He needs to improve his jumpshot and freethrows.

Carter needs to work on his handle and the range on his jumper, but honestly, he's not as far off as most would probably think. Bostick is in a similar position actually, he just played so poorly last season.

But, one of those guys has to step up their game. We'll be good this year, but I think next year with Joseph as a Junior, Royce a soph and Carter a Senior, that's when our best shot is, since I think all of those guys are more than a year away from being the type of perimeter scorer that we need.

1997 was aspecial year. Clem was not the recruiter that Tubby is but he got the most out of his talent at tournament time.

I don't think we have the talent of the 97 team. Certainly don't have a Bobby Jackson.

However, I really hope we see Joseph come out and make the next step. THere were a few games where he just unleashed last year. Should be a great year though.

97 had it's bit of luck too - remember the Indiana game.

The only thing that I think makes this not so much 97 is that Thomas, Jackson, etc were Seniors and that made a difference with leadership and experience.

I do think we have a strong tournament run in us if not this year - definitely next year.

Results vs talent.

1997 had how many first round draft picks on it? Jackson, Thomas, Sam, and Lewis were all members of a team that were in taken in round 1 of the NBA draft. This group might have 1 or 2 down the road but in the end if they can get enough offense the results could be similar. Final 4 might be a stretch but Sweet 16 is possible maybe even Elite 8 if things go the right way. We have a deep team that has had a ton of playing time together depending on what roles the freshman have.

1997 had how many first round draft picks on it? Jackson, Thomas, Sam, and Lewis were all members of a team that were in taken in round 1 of the NBA draft. This group might have 1 or 2 down the road but in the end if they can get enough offense the results could be similar. Final 4 might be a stretch but Sweet 16 is possible maybe even Elite 8 if things go the right way. We have a deep team that has had a ton of playing time together depending on what roles the freshman have.

The success of this team will hinge on the outside shooting of Joseph, Hoffarber, and Westbrook. If one or all of these three step up to be a big-time outside threat, the entire offense changes. Without that shooting, though, we will be mainly a defensive/fastbreak team; which is fine, but lacking in a significant dimension of the game.

Blake's name gets lost in all talks lately, yet he was one of our most competent players the past two years. If he gets his shot back, look out!

The success of this team will hinge on the outside shooting of Joseph, Hoffarber, and Westbrook. If one or all of these three step up to be a big-time outside threat, the entire offense changes. Without that shooting, though, we will be mainly a defensive/fastbreak team; which is fine, but lacking in a significant dimension of the game.

Blake's name gets lost in all talks lately, yet he was one of our most competent players the past two years. If he gets his shot back, look out!

Right on the money. To me, it all comes down to exactly what you just so eloquently said. If the outside shooting comes around, this team will be very very good. If not, we'll simply have to settle with being pretty good.

2010-11 perhaps?

2010-11 is the one I'm eyeing as a chance to really return to something special (legit Final 4 hopes). Of course, that assumption means the current roster doesn't lose anyone, and it also assumes that Royce White will be the flat-out stud (i.e. Bobby Jackson) every elite team must have. And Sam Jacobson was a pretty talented Robin to Bobby's Batman.

Even so, I'm hesitant to compare any current or future Gopher to Bobby Jackson. He was a stone-cold killer on the court, one as a Gopher fan I can only hope I'll get to see more than once in my lifetime. Maybe White (if he sticks around), if he's as good as advertised, can be that second "once in a lifetime" guy.

For what it's worth, I think it's destiny the Midwest Regional in 2011 is being played at the Alamodome.

Right on the money. To me, it all comes down to exactly what you just so eloquently said. If the outside shooting comes around, this team will be very very good. If not, we'll simply have to settle with being pretty good.

I agree but I will also add that we must get consistent play from the pg position. Nolen has shown to be outstanding at times but also below average at times. Eric Harris was not spectacular but was always steady and consistent.

No comparison. None.

Best case is sweet 16 unless Jospeh becomes Bobby Jackson.

Bobby is one of my favorite gophs of all time. I went to Indy for the Final Four and actually had some fun with the now x-wife. But Bobby stunk as a junior. Can that be like Bostick? Can he be the BJ next year?

Bobby did not stink as a junior. He was still above average. Bostick stunk as a junior, but I still think he will be a significant contributor this year.

Comparing Bobby's junior year stats to Devron's? There is no comparison. If Bobby stunk as a junior, I'd like have a lot more juniors who "stunk" like he did.

13.3 ppg
4.8 rpg
2.7 apg
1.4 spg

And he did all that after missing some games early in the season because of (I believe) a foot injury.

Ok... Bobby Jackson was the best junior EVER for the Gopher b-ball team in 1995-6!!! Can D Bostick even come close as a senior in 2009-10?!? Stay tuned...

Gophers have unparalleled depth from 1-12 as ANY team in the Big 10. No, there is no frontline star, but I think Minnesota's 12th player is better than most team's 12th player.
In order for Minnesota to reach the top four of the conference (in no particular order):
-Outside shooting needs to improve.
-More consistent PG play.
-Mbakwe needs to be eligible!!!!
-Iverson needs to take a step forward on offense.
-Carter/Bostick needs to accept roles of playing 2-3 minutes per game.

-Carter/Bostick needs to accept roles of playing 2-3 minutes per game.

Couldn't disagree more. Carter needs to see, at least, 12 minutes per game.

Dev's case is a little different. Maybe he's comfortable this year... we'll have to wait and see.

Who is Carter going to steal minutes from? Maybe White right away, but if I had to rank all the 6-7/6-8 forwards on the team, I think he would be FOURTH best behind Johnson, Mbakwe and White in terms of skill level. I don't think its even close. I'm not sold on Carter...yet. I think he is going to be the odd-man out.

There is no Bobby, Sam or Quincy on this 2009 team. But with some growth, the combination of Westbrook, Joseph, Bostick and White can challenge the athleticism and pure shooting of those guys. There is a huge cast of potential role players. If this team is coachable, Tubby can bring us a Big Ten championship and a Final 4.

I think Carter gets at least 15-20 or more a game.

Why go after Carter like this? Did he steal your girlfriend?

You forget that Carter was hurt most of his juco and was hurt early last year.

As far as talent, I'd say Carter is faster, has better handles, and is more versatile than White and Mbakwe. He had problems finishing last year, but you'll soon see that has solved.

Carter was by far the best rebounder on the team and was pretty fantastic when he got minutes.

Not sure why you like to bash the players here or on the football side of things.

Why go after Carter like this? Did he steal your girlfriend?

You forget that Carter was hurt most of his juco and was hurt early last year.

As far as talent, I'd say Carter is faster, has better handles, and is more versatile than White and Mbakwe. He had problems finishing last year, but you'll soon see that has solved.

Carter was by far the best rebounder on the team and was pretty fantastic when he got minutes.

Not sure why you like to bash the players here or on the football side of things.

Not bashing anyone, not once! I'm allowed to express my opinion, aren't I? How is "bashing" considered calling White, Mbakwe and Johnson talented???? I'm confused...

Is there a Bobby Jackson on this team?

I haven't seen him, but to be fair, I didn't see enough of Carter to fully make a determination. Otherwise, I'm looking to the new class and hoping in a year or more we have that special talent that can take us all the way...

Top Bottom