Can staying in the draft

There is more that goes into the evals than this, but for those that are still skeptical of Cam's draft prospects...
  • Cam and Bub Carrington are the youngest college players in the draft by a fair amount (they are 6+ months younger than Rob Dillingham, the next youngest)
  • Both Cam and Carrington were productive offensively as freshmen in a P6 conference
  • Carrington: 49.6% eFG, 16.3 PER, 3.6 WS
  • Cam: 51.5% eFG, 13.7 PER, 2.5 WS
Mock drafts have Carrington solidly in the first round, so it should not surprise anyone that Cam would go early to mid-second round based on his age and profile. He's not a complete player yet, but no one is at that age. He was a very good Gopher who could have played a lot of places and chose to play in the maroon and gold. I'll be thrilled for him when they call his name.

There is more that goes into the evals than this, but for those that are still skeptical of Cam's draft prospects...
  • Cam and Bub Carrington are the youngest college players in the draft by a fair amount (they are 6+ months younger than Rob Dillingham, the next youngest)
  • Both Cam and Carrington were productive offensively as freshmen in a P6 conference
  • Carrington: 49.6% eFG, 16.3 PER, 3.6 WS
  • Cam: 51.5% eFG, 13.7 PER, 2.5 WS
Mock drafts have Carrington solidly in the first round, so it should not surprise anyone that Cam would go early to mid-second round based on his age and profile. He's not a complete player yet, but no one is at that age. He was a very good Gopher who could have played a lot of places and chose to play in the maroon and gold. I'll be thrilled for him when they call his name.
I actually like Bub Carrington quite a bit, but Cam is the much less risky player profile (IMO).

Carrington will be an NBA wing with decent size who cannot really shoot. That type of player, has struggled a bit in the NBA. I think the perception is that they succeeded in college and HS because they were just able to dominate their opponents athletically/physically.

Shooting translates. Cam is the much better shooter. In the NBA, having role players who can hit outside shots while the stars are being doubled is a skill that easily translates.

(I think Carrington is the better prospect, I'm just talking about player types)

I'd take senior Nate Mason, as one poster mentioned. And yes, Reggie Lynch would have been very good as a senior.

But I'd take Christie as a sophomore over any version of Austin Hollins. By a lot.

But I understand your point. Maybe you meant Andre Hollins.
I picked Austin Hollins because they played the same position. But if we're throwing it open to Gophers players who haven't been drafted or played in the NBA regardless of position - for sure Andre Hollins, Mason, Lynch, Mbakwe, Jordan Murphy, and many more are all players I'd rather have this fall than Christie. And that's just Gopher players - if we throw it open to the NCAA at large, one could write a literal book. The statement, "I'd rather have player X than player Y on my college team," based solely on player X being drafted and/or playing in the NBA, is a certifiably idiotic statement.

Bronny is actually a great comp - he's an "NBA prospect" based on nepotism, and there is a little bit of that with Christie too. His older brother is in the league and contributing, so some scouts think he can follow the same path.

I would also rather have any of the aforementioned former Gophers players on my 2024-25 roster than Bronny.

The fact is that Christie was an OK college player, at best. He would've been the best player for the Gophers next season, but that's damning with faint praise. He'll likely be drafted in the mid-2nd round, but based on his potential, not on his current skill or production. Gophers fans are pretending that Christie was some star, once again grasping for relevancy in a program that's been irrelevant for virtually its entire existence.

Sorry for injecting a little sanity - and now back to your circle-jerk, fellas.

I picked Austin Hollins because they played the same position. But if we're throwing it open to Gophers players who haven't been drafted or played in the NBA regardless of position - for sure Andre Hollins, Mason, Lynch, Mbakwe, Jordan Murphy, and many more are all players I'd rather have this fall than Christie. And that's just Gopher players - if we throw it open to the NCAA at large, one could write a literal book. The statement, "I'd rather have player X than player Y on my college team," based solely on player X being drafted and/or playing in the NBA, is a certifiably idiotic statement.

Bronny is actually a great comp - he's an "NBA prospect" based on nepotism, and there is a little bit of that with Christie too. His older brother is in the league and contributing, so some scouts think he can follow the same path.

I would also rather have any of the aforementioned former Gophers players on my 2024-25 roster than Bronny.

The fact is that Christie was an OK college player, at best. He would've been the best player for the Gophers next season, but that's damning with faint praise. He'll likely be drafted in the mid-2nd round, but based on his potential, not on his current skill or production. Gophers fans are pretending that Christie was some star, once again grasping for relevancy in a program that's been irrelevant for virtually its entire existence.

Comparing the nepotism of Bronny James with Christie is insane. Christie as a sophomore certainly would be better than as a freshman . Circle jerk you are adding to one .

If picking between last year's version of Christie and a senior Austin Hollins- Hollins for sure. He became a very good defender in addition to pretty good shooter.

Hollins senior year: 12.4 pts/5 rebs/2steals/2.4 assists/44.5FG%/34.6 3point%
Christie last year: 11.3 pts/3.6 rebs/ .6 steals/1.6 assists/40.3FG%/39.1 3point %

So by that comparison- its not close- Hollins easy.

Christie's potential? Far higher and his best basketball is ahead of him. He was nowhere near a great college player last year- he just has great promise. That's why it wouldn't be hard to replace his performance of last year and super hard to replace what he would have been this year.

Holy shit more awful takes. You don't think Christie is getting drafted on skill? His skill is the main reason why. His shooting is, which last I checked is a skill, is the big reason why. He's a good athlete, has a good wingspan and has good defensive versatility because of it. Also, your nepotism narrative makes no sense, but your last two posts haven't made any, so it's no surprise.

What about Mchale and Mychal Thompson? 😂

I will neither be surprised nor not surprised if Cam is drafted. His potential says absolutely yes, but it seems like so many years there are guys like Cam in the draft expected to be drafted, but then get passed over by a run on international players.

Hope he does, by all appearances a classy young man. I’ll say this. Any GM that drafts Bronny James ahead of him is an idiot.

Last edited:

I will neither be surprised or not surprised if Cam is drafted. His potential says absolutely yes, but it seems like so many years there are guys like Cam in the draft expected to be drafted, but then get passed over by a run on international players.

Hope he does, by all appearances a classy young man. I’ll say this. Any team that drafts Bronny James ahead of him is an idiot.
Not if that time signs LeBron as a consequence of drafting his son.

Bronny? lol. So you're saying that NBA teams are interested in Christie because his brother is a fringe NBA player? Then the guy you compare Christie to, who didn't get a crack is Austin Hollins? The same Austin Hollins whose dad has been involved in the NBA for 35 years including being an All Star and NBA Champion as a player and Coach of the Year?

As far as injecting sanity into the conversation, this really feels like it's coming from the same group of people who said that we weren't being sane when we thought Christie would get drafted.

Lastly, to say someone is drafted based on potential and not current skill is lunacy. Like every draft, t's a combination of both things.

Today, Cam Christie is a 6'6" wing who shoots the ball really well and can handle the ball decently. Those are skills the NBA covets. The NBA is full of guys who fit that mold who have been mid round draft picks and produced in the NBA. The same cannot be said for 6'4" wings who cannot handle the ball (Hollins), 6'6" PFs who cannot shoot (Murphy), or 6'1" PGs who are just okay shooters (Mason). Those types of players are not successful in the NBA - typically.

Holy shit more awful takes. You don't think Christie is getting drafted on skill? His skill is the main reason why. His shooting is, which last I checked is a skill, is the big reason why. He's a good athlete, has a good wingspan and has good defensive versatility because of it. Also, your nepotism narrative makes no sense, but your last two posts haven't made any, so it's no surprise.
Bar the door

If I had the energy I would go back and aggregate all the stupidity around why some people on here thought Christie wouldn't get drafted. They should have just been honest and said I want him back but deferred to armchair analysis to justify their wishful thinking

How about goofball statements that Ben was waiting for Cam to decide before signing a new student athlete. As Littman on Seinfeld said ‘I want you out of here by the end of the day’

Hot Takes or Hot Cakes?

Top Bottom