Can staying in the draft

Lol.... Someone who's not going to be drafted or play in the NBA is better than a one n done... And I thought my pot was crazy good
He's not a one-and-done yet - decent chance he's not even drafted. And if he is drafted, it's more than a little disingenuous to lump him in with a typical one-and-done lottery pick.

And yes, there are tons and tons of guys who weren't drafted/won't play in the NBA that are better than a one-and-done. Just as a "for example," if you're asking me if I'd rather have Austin Hollins or Cam Christie on the 2024-25 Gophers, I'd take Austin Hollins every time.

so it seems a calculation was made that being a high 2nd-round draft pick is better than going back to college (with another year of NIL). did a quick check on the internets, and came up with this:

Second-round draft picks do not have the same guaranteed contracts as their first-round counterparts. Instead, they must negotiate their own deals, which can vary greatly in terms of salary, guarantees, and contract length. Here are some common salary structures for second-round picks:

Minimum Salary Contracts: Many second-round picks end up signing minimum salary contracts, which are non-guaranteed deals that pay the league’s minimum salary for a rookie. For the 2023-24 season, the minimum rookie salary is $1,119,563.

Partially Guaranteed Contracts: Some second-round picks may negotiate partially guaranteed contracts, where a portion of their salary (usually the first year or two) is guaranteed, while the remaining years are team options. These deals provide a bit more security than a minimum salary contract but still come with some risk.

Multi-Year Guaranteed Contracts: On rare occasions, a second-round pick may secure a multi-year, fully guaranteed contract. These deals are typically reserved for players who have significant leverage or are highly coveted by multiple teams.

Let’s look at some real-world examples of second-round contracts from recent drafts:

Emoni Bates, Cleveland Cavaliers (2023 #49 Overall Pick):
1-year, non-guaranteed, two-way contract worth $508,891

Kendall Brown, Indiana Pacers (2022 #48 Overall Pick):
4-year, $7.5 million contract with $3.5 million guaranteed

Sandro Mamukelashvili, Milwaukee Bucks (2021 #54 Overall Pick):
2-year, $2.4 million contract with $300,000 guaranteed

This isn't the kind of deal where's Cam's desperate for money, or acting impulsively. His parents do just fine financially, so there's no hardship motivation. His brother knows the process from being in the league, and traveling the same path. His agent has undoubtedly spoken with the NBA scouts/teams. They're obviously confident he'll get drafted, AND get a solid contract that will allow him to develop, likely in the G League.

He's not a one-and-done yet - decent chance he's not even drafted. And if he is drafted, it's more than a little disingenuous to lump him in with a typical one-and-done lottery pick.

And yes, there are tons and tons of guys who weren't drafted/won't play in the NBA that are better than a one-and-done. Just as a "for example," if you're asking me if I'd rather have Austin Hollins or Cam Christie on the 2024-25 Gophers, I'd take Austin Hollins every time.
Oh, come on. You can't honestly believe that?

Yup... If bronny's potential is half of LeBron he will be a solid bench piece.. we didn't see that but Hawkins hasnt flashed nba potential either... In this.case.its.all about the DNA
It's not about NBA potential.
The issue was who would you rather have playing college basketball for your team next year and the correct answer is undrafted Hawkins, not the one-and-done Bronny!

My God. So many terrible takes in just two paragraphs. Well done.

IMO THIS is potentially the best case because a veteran transfer would likely be better than Christie next year.
Christie will be better in 2-3 years, but he was never going to be here in 2-3 years.
InSane…

Austin Hollins? Career 9.4 pg and 34% from three? 🤔 that guy…

Christie is still 18 for a couple month actually age wise could be just graduating high school.. he will get stronger when he does the strength will help when he drives and on D..He can shoot the three has a nice pull up and gets great elevation on both a 35.5 standing vertical so he has some athleticism… Reed Shepard was a freshman at Kentucky who will turn 20 before Christie turns 19… not comparing skill sets just age comparison some kids redshirt in middle school and are old for their grade like the Minnehaha crew..some don’t..

Lots of upside with Christie at 18 years old… plain to see if you see the game and don’t watch the game…he definitely has weaknesses but they all do..

Austin Hollins? Christie every time.. IMO

Austin Hollins? Career 9.4 pg and 34% from three? 🤔 that guy…

Christie is still 18 for a couple month actually age wise could be just graduating high school.. he will get stronger when he does the strength will help when he drives and on D..He can shoot the three has a nice pull up and gets great elevation on both a 35.5 standing vertical so he has some athleticism… Reed Shepard was a freshman at Kentucky who will turn 20 before Christie turns 19… not comparing skill sets just age comparison some kids redshirt in middle school and are old for their grade like the Minnehaha crew..some don’t..

Lots of upside with Christie at 18 years old… plain to see if you see the game and don’t watch the game…he definitely has weaknesses but they all do..

Austin Hollins? Christie every time.. IMO

I am appreciative of Hollins' contribution to the program, but there's a reason he never sniffed the NBA, and has spent the last decade in Europe. He's really not close to Christie.

It's not about NBA potential.
The issue was who would you rather have playing college basketball for your team next year and the correct answer is undrafted Hawkins, not the one-and-done Bronny!
Lol.. no this all stems.fr.you saying were better off with our team for next year over cam coming back... You then threw out bronny... Our nmst transfer whom is the starter probably as of this moment.. cam is officially a one n done.. we are NOT better with him gone

Lol.. no this all stems.fr.you saying were better off with our team for next year over cam coming back... You then threw out bronny... Our nmst transfer whom is the starter probably as of this moment.. cam is officially a one n done.. we are NOT better with him gone.
We will soon be better with Cam gone and Ken Evans Jr starting at wing...IMO!

Still hard for me to think he's a high 2nd round pick. To me that's the first five picks in 2nd, so picks 31-35.

I'd take senior Nate Mason, as one poster mentioned. And yes, Reggie Lynch would have been very good as a senior.

But I'd take Christie as a sophomore over any version of Austin Hollins. By a lot.

But I understand your point. Maybe you meant Andre Hollins.

Top Bottom