Can someone smarter than me explain what our identity is or what strengths we have?

Ben aside, I thought Thorson was an X's and O's genius? I can't believe how inept we look on both ends.
Defense specifically. Not sure who thought letting Dickinson loose to run exactly where he wanted in the post before getting a body on him was a good idea, but they probably are in need of some self reflection.

We don't have a PG that can quickly get the offense rolling. Cooper would fit OK in #2 role but with him at PG I don't have much hope for much improvement. Ben is hanging his hat on what we have seen thus far and it just doesn't fit our guys.

IMO, I would like to see a motion offense and ball movement that will keep the D on the move and fighting through screens both on and off the ball. Said that, we would get better looks at low post, create driving lanes and better looks for our best scorers. Most HS coaches could install an offense like that. We have seen some initial movement then its dribble, look for the drive and the other four stand around, especially on the weak side.

I couldn't believe that Ben kept the high ball pressure by our #5 approach the whole game. It wasn't effective and gave Mich. a ton of easy passes into the low post. Our guys looked like a chicken with their head cut off desperately flying around!

I have not been impressed with Ben's approach on both sides of the ball and can sense the guys frustrations. He is relying on individual talent on offense and it isn't there. Plus there are a lot of glaring weakness's with our D which many have pointed out. Somehow the guys will have to average in the upper 70's to have a chance to win and I don't see that happening based on the first nine games.

We are about 1/3 the way through the season. We don't defend, we don't hustle, we don't have an offense, we don't create turnovers, we don't rebound well, we don't have a "style" of play that I can tell. A year ago at this time we seemingly played hard, we fought, we rotated the ball. It's not like we have a ball hog like The Hump stealing all the shots. We just have a collection of below average BT players who really aren't playing as a team and are kind of running through the motions 40 minutes a game for 9 games.
Pretty much sums up what I see as well. A well coached team with inferior talent...you can easily tell they have been coached. Sometimes schemes work...sometimes you see they would if they had better players. We lack in all areas mentioned.
What did I expect?
I expected a team that played together, played hard, had a plan, looked like they were having fun
and just needed some breaks or another piece to win. What, I'm seeing is: we supposedly have two all Big Ten caliber players and if we added two more we might lose by more....they play confused, hesitant and where are the promised shooters? We don't have one guy who is a shooter right now. Battle was, Carrington was supposed to be but nobody has a confident stroke.
For me it's coaching...coaches make/help guys play confident. St Olaf on...have not seen it this year. Did last year.

Last edited:

Good Post!!!

Since you brought up TT I'm going to mention Garcia. He was a 5 star coming out of high school. He is no longer a 5, heck at this point I'm not sure he is a 3. Maybe it is that he really hasn't played much in the past year-year and a half. I would say at this point Payne plays before Garcia. He has been terrible just terrible.

All I could stomach last night was the first 10 minutes. Offensively they have zero offense. 5 guys standing around the arc watching the guy with the ball dribble. Dribble up to the point where he gets stuck then tries to pass to a teammate.

Zero cutting, none!!! Zero screening, none!!! This team right now is brutal at best. I mentioned this before, it looks as though Johnson and his staff can recruit, unfortunately at this point they can't coach or they just don't have a model they can install for the team to create shots.
Rewatching the game I notice how well players followed the offensive plays after time outs. I'm assuming BJ drew up the plays during the t.o.
So not sure what this proves. The players can't make decisions and need "hands on" by the coaches or BJ needs a whole lot of more time outs.

We are about 1/3 the way through the season. We don't defend, we don't hustle, we don't have an offense, we don't create turnovers, we don't rebound well, we don't have a "style" of play that I can tell. A year ago at this time we seemingly played hard, we fought, we rotated the ball. It's not like we have a ball hog like The Hump stealing all the shots. We just have a collection of below average BT players who really aren't playing as a team and are kind of running through the motions 40 minutes a game for 9 games.

Agree
We got 2 brick throwers, Garcia & Battle & the rest can't throw at all.

Our strength is our loyal fans.

This is the worst Gopher team I've seen in my entire life. How did these players get division 1 scholarships let alone Big Ten scholarships?
You must be 10. Come back when you're a big boy.

How old are you? We had some horrible teams post scandals in the 80’s and late 90’s. I’m not willing to go there yet.
that was post #2--classic rookie mistake of using absolutes and generalizing. Hopefully with some more posts and more seasoning, we will see improvement as the years pass

Very young,
Trying to find an identy.
Dawson used to playing with a more experienced squad.
Battle not healthy.
And otherwise... freshmen.
This is year two. Watched the second half.
Was often horrified. But also saw flashes of what is to come.
What did you expect?
I agree with much of this.

Dawson would be much better if surrounded by scorers.

Battle would much more dangerous with a point guard able to create chaos off the dribble, so he can stand and fire on kick outs, he's not great at creating shots.

Identity is something you find after gelling as a club. It doesn't matter always what your coach would like the identity to be, when your players may not fit it well. We have everyone on the court basically never having played together, so I'm not surprised by where we are at, and therefore not negative about it. Would I like it to be different, of course. But I see signs of promise.

I think the 2 biggest problems this year are
#1 lack of speed/grit/aggressiveness which affects ability to defend, rebound and get stops.
#2 We have zero guys on our team that can create a shot when the offense breaks down, or to break down the defense for that matter. Last year Peyton Willis was exceptional at this.

I think #1 gets better as our Freshman catch up to the game. It's always common for young players to be a step slow as they adjust.

Unfortunately #2, I don't see getting better. Maybe if Payne becomes more dominant inside, it could help with freeing up some shooters. He is very impressive for a freshman but is being asked to be our primary inside presence. That is a lot to ask. He will need at least a 1/2 season to adjust to doubles and be quick with decision making. He is going to be a force in 1-2 years and maybe by the end of this year.

We have an identity - Inexperienced!

We have a young coach who is still making rookie mistakes like trying to build PP’s confidence by playing him 9 minutes in a game behind a guy I’m sure PP knows is a stiff.

That always builds confidence!

Try starting the young man, Ben.

Also, outside the freshmen, i don’t see a lot of hustle out there. Guys need to play at 100% when you are playing at this level. Our players seem to play like they are in the NBA, coasting along till the fourth quarter. That works if your Michael Jordan not so much for these guys.

I picture Ben as a child trying like hell to shove a square block into a round hole. The insistence on playing man to man with the wrong personnel is maddening. They should be playing zone at least 50% of the time and change up the looks more often.

In fact, I’d argue that practice should be defensive only for these guys until they get a decent effort on the floor.

Senior successful coaches would not stand for this kind of defensive effort!

Maybe Ben the great recruiter is just too freaking nice?

I agree with much of this.

Dawson would be much better if surrounded by scorers.

Battle would much more dangerous with a point guard able to create chaos off the dribble, so he can stand and fire on kick outs, he's not great at creating shots.

Identity is something you find after gelling as a club. It doesn't matter always what your coach would like the identity to be, when your players may not fit it well. We have everyone on the court basically never having played together, so I'm not surprised by where we are at, and therefore not negative about it. Would I like it to be different, of course. But I see signs of promise.

I think the 2 biggest problems this year are
#1 lack of speed/grit/aggressiveness which affects ability to defend, rebound and get stops.
#2 We have zero guys on our team that can create a shot when the offense breaks down, or to break down the defense for that matter. Last year Peyton Willis was exceptional at this.

I think #1 gets better as our Freshman catch up to the game. It's always common for young players to be a step slow as they adjust.

Unfortunately #2, I don't see getting better. Maybe if Payne becomes more dominant inside, it could help with freeing up some shooters. He is very impressive for a freshman but is being asked to be our primary inside presence. That is a lot to ask. He will need at least a 1/2 season to adjust to doubles and be quick with decision making. He is going to be a force in 1-2 years and maybe by the end of this year.
A lot of this is inexperience too.

At the end of the shot clock last year, the players knew where to stand and how to get into a quick set so that Willis could get off a shot or drive and dish.

Now, we look absolutely lost and I think a lot of that is that we have wings that aren't great with spacing (and almost never cut without the ball so they are pressured at the perimeter) and even Battle/Garcia are still figuring out how their games gel.

Meanwhile, Mara Braun with women's basketball is a rock star, and the new elite talent freshmen are quite the show while learning.

Braun has already won Big Ten Freshman of the Week TWICE. Mallory Heyer has won it once. And Amaya Battle is adjusting to her role as game changer point guard -- all freshman.

It's an entertaining ticket. Next year will be even better as they haven't put it together yet.

So that's my response. How about for once the other side get attention for the dynasty that is about to unfold in the years ahead.

Meanwhile, Mara Braun with women's basketball is a rock star, and the new elite talent freshmen are quite the show while learning.

Braun has already won Big Ten Freshman of the Week TWICE. Mallory Heyer has won it once. And Amaya Battle is adjusting to her role as game changer point guard -- all freshman.

It's an entertaining ticket. Next year will be even better as they haven't put it together yet.

So that's my response. How about for once the other side get attention for the dynasty that is about to unfold in the years ahead.

Isn't there a forum for women's bball on gopher hole, or are you making the point that a team can win with freshman?

Isn't there a forum for women's bball on gopher hole, or are you making the point that a team can win with freshman?

OK, I get the point about not spamming a message board with other sports.

Then again, I just participated in the Vikings thread in the Gophers football forum. Nobody seemed to mind that. I don't mind Vikings creeping in.

My view is that I attended the University of Minnesota so I may be interested in several sports.

For the first time ever I shifted my interest and bought season tickets to women's basketball. Never did that before. I've actually mostly been Vikings and Twins. But there's something special there with women's basketball.

The men's basketball team is having an off year. That happens. Good time to check out the other side.

OK, I get the point about not spamming a message board with other sports.

Then again, I just participated in the Vikings thread in the Gophers football forum. Nobody seemed to mind that. I don't mind Vikings creeping in.

My view is that I attended the University of Minnesota so I may be interested in several sports.

For the first time ever I shifted my interest and bought season tickets to women's basketball. Never did that before. I've actually mostly been Vikings and Twins. But there's something special there with women's basketball.

The men's basketball team is having an off year. That happens. Good time to check out the other side.
Oh, but this is a thread on the identity of the men's basketball team. This would be a good thread you could start in the women's basketball forum. Never thought I would get so many suggestions to watch other teams this year. Interesting trend in this forum 🤔

I am very happy to see this talent having been recruited to our Lady Gopher squad. Lindsey looks like a better coach with that talent. She also took a few years to get these pieces in place.
This is why we have to give Ben some more time. He's getting talent to come to Minnesota. We will be good in the near future.

Some things are beyond anyone's control. Sometimes a mysterious luck cycle affects the team. Look at the NFL where teams go from loser to the Super Bowl.

This program was strong last season and stumbled into this season for no explainable reason.

I like the coaching team at the U. This is just a patience year. It takes time.

Top Bottom