Can someone clarify?

WolfontheProwl

Reaction score
I have been trying to keep up with the new staff Coach Pitino is putting together. Am I understanding things correctly that he still needs to hire a lead assistant? I think it was in Norwood Teague's interview yesterday or maybe Ellis that the basketball team had two finalists for the lead assistant position. Is this correct or is Johnson that guy?

I have been trying to keep up with the new staff Coach Pitino is putting together. Am I understanding things correctly that he still needs to hire a lead assistant? I think it was in Norwood Teague's interview yesterday or maybe Ellis that the basketball team had two finalists for the lead assistant position. Is this correct or is Johnson that guy?

It's not 100% clear yet, but all indications suggest Johnson is not the lead assistant. We won't really know for sure until they officially announce Johnson as on the staff.

Glad others are in the same boat as me. Seems like we will be bringing in 2 more coaches at the least with one being the lead assistant. Looks like a good young group of guys hopefully they can bring us all some good news not only on the court but in recruiting as well.

Changes he brings in someone a little more seasoned that has "been there and done that?"

If the HC has to bring in someone "been there, done that" you have the wrong HC. I am fine with another young "up and comer." In fact, I would prefer that.

If the HC has to bring in someone "been there, done that" you have the wrong HC. I am fine with another young "up and comer." In fact, I would prefer that.

Think about that for a minute.

Probably want someone with a bit more experience than the other guys on staff...

No, we will be bringing in one more. You can only have 3.

Is it 3 assistants (who can recruit) and a director if operations?

For Tubby, Taylor Jirsa and Saul as assistants and Esposito was the basketball operations guy?

For Tubby, Taylor Jirsa and Saul as assistants and Esposito was the basketball operations guy?

Everything you say is true.

Oops, dpo made a boo boo then in post number five?

How? We have one spot left. The assumption is Johnson is #2 of the three assistants, along with Young. So we're left with one assistant position to fill after Johnson.

Sorry for the mistake Balado is part of the staff but isnt an assistant coach.

How do you figure, Knockers?

You said "room for only one" meaning only one more hire, when in actuallity there is room for two more as clarified by scher and agreed to by you.

dpo, you are very good at pointing out something someone says sometimes and arguing semantics. I just did the same to you. :)

Monte, I am not making an assumption on Johnson until an announcement makes it fact.

Ryan Miller (Mike Miller's brother?) has been rumored. From what I've read, this would be a great hire and solidify the staff.

AUBURN - Former Missouri assistant, Ryan Miller, has been named Auburn Associate Head Basketball Coach, head coach Tony Barbee announced Tuesday.

Miller, who spent two months at Missouri, coached the previous five years from 2007-12 as an assistant coach at New Mexico under head coach Steve Alford. He was a part of the most successful five-year period in New Mexico basketball history, helping the Lobos to a 126-46 record, five consecutive postseason appearances and a pair of NCAA Tournament berths.

New Mexico won two regular season Mountain West Conference Championships and one MWC Tournament Championship during his coaching stint.

"I'm excited about Ryan joining our staff," said Barbee. "He is a close friend who I have known for quite a while now. He is going to add a lot to the program in all areas from recruiting to coaching to relationships with players."

Miller is considered one of the top recruiters in the country where he has contacts throughout the United States as well as foreign countries including Australia, where he also played competitively.

He was a basketball operations assistant at Memphis under head coach John Calipari from 2004-06 when Barbee was also an assistant coach on the staff. During Miller's three years at Memphis, the Tigers went 78-28 and made three postseason tournament appearances, including two NCAA Tournament berths.

You said "room for only one" meaning only one more hire, when in actuallity there is room for two more as clarified by scher and agreed to by you.

dpo, you are very good at pointing out something someone says sometimes and arguing semantics. I just did the same to you. :)

Monte, I am not making an assumption on Johnson until an announcement makes it fact.

No, we will be bringing in one more. You can only have 3.

Everything you say is true.

DBO: Balado
Asst. 1: Young
Asst. 2: Johnson

Where is there room for two more? EDIT: just vread the assumption part. Carry on...

If you are right about Johnson, there is room for one more, but I don't believe the Johnson hiring has been announced yet.

If you are right about Johnson, there is room for one more, but I don't believe the Johnson hiring has been announced yet.

That was exactly my point, and I caught hell for it. Johnson has NOT been announced yet, so there are still two to fill.

Check out the Mike Ellis interview on 1500 ESPN. Ellis indicated Pitino has two excellent candidates for the remaining coaching staff position. I'm assuming one is Miller, but all indications are that Miller signed an contract extension at Auburn and is no longer in the running. Ellis also confirms tha Balado is the basketball operations guy. They pushed Ellis on the Johnson rumor and his only comment was "Johnson would be a good hire for MN".

I don't know if he'd take an assistant job, but Blaine Taylor who was fired at ODU this year would seem to be a "home run". A ton of head coaching experience, multiple NCAA berths, and at 55 he'd be a nice complement (on paper) to the younger guys on staff.

That was exactly my point, and I caught hell for it. Johnson has NOT been announced yet, so there are still two to fill.

I will support a Dr. Don thread based upon semantics/nuances since dpotroll frequently uses semantics/nuances/nonsense to make his alleged points!!

Top Bottom