Can I root for Iowa today?

I believe a win by Iowa today means: we would have the division wrapped up if we had beaten Illinois.

I believe a win by Iowa today means: we would have the division wrapped up if we had beaten Illinois.

Incorrect. We'd be 6-1 and Wisconsin would be 5-2. They could have still beat us next week and won based on head to head.

That Illinois game still haunts me and I'm sure all of us, including the players and staff.

While I can't cheer for the skunks, a win by them puts just a little more shine and attention on our game next week. It will be for the title regardless, but a win by the skunks today increases the games profile for TV and football fans. I want the Gophers in that spotlight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Incorrect. We'd be 6-1 and Wisconsin would be 5-2. They could have still beat us next week and won based on head to head.

I stand corrected. I forgot they were a game ahead of us. Also; at the start of the day, we were tied for last in the division.

That Illinois game still haunts me and I'm sure all of us, including the players and staff.

While I can't cheer for the skunks, a win by them puts just a little more shine and attention on our game next week. It will be for the title regardless, but a win by the skunks today increases the games profile for TV and football fans. I want the Gophers in that spotlight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point.

Hell yes we want Iowa to win today. I'd like Wisconsin to know they no longer control their own destiny.

If Wisconsin wins today, then our game with them next week will determine the division winner.

If Iowa wins today and loses to Nebraska next Friday, then our game with Wisconsin will still determine the division winner.

If Iowa wins today and beats Nebraska next Friday, then Wisconsin is eliminated. We will win the division if we beat the Badgers and Iowa will win the division if the Badgers cheat and somehow beat us.

This may come back to haunt me, because I really do despise the Badgers, but is there any chance next week's game gets moved to ESPN if both of us are coming off wins?

Ok, so it looks like we want Wisconsin to win. It will save us a lot of headache. Also, If we don't beat Wisconsin next week, I'd rather know we lost the west to Wisconsin, rather than Iowa winning the west, yet knowing we beat them.

Actually that is a good point because for Bowl placement the more separation us and Iowa the better.

Imagine if we finish with the same record as Iowa and they get a better bowl than us even though we beat them by 37.

Hard to 'root' in this game, but you have to go with Wisconsin. Makes next week's game that much bigger and gets it more exposure. Plus I don't want to play angry Bucky.

Ok, so it looks like we want Wisconsin to win. It will save us a lot of headache. Also, If we don't beat Wisconsin next week, I'd rather know we lost the west to Wisconsin, rather than Iowa winning the west, yet knowing we beat them.

Agree. As much as I dislike Sconny, I certainly have no problem watching Iowa go down. Not to mention imagining poor ********* sulking in the basement after an Iowa loss and a MN win!

My kindergartener son sits next to me...
SON: who's playing
ME: WI and IA
SON: What's Wisconsin's mascot?
ME: A badger. Do you know what a badger is?
SON: It's a furry animal with stripes, like a skunk.
ME: (all smiles)

Imagine if we finish with the same record as Iowa and they get a better bowl than us even though we beat them by 37.

Would the B1G allow this to happen? I thought with the new alignment of bowls, that the conference admins got to "influence" which teams go to which bowls. I also think with Jerry Kill as our coach, everybody loves the feel good story and that will play into our advantage when bowls look to storylines to bring into the games.

Top Bottom