can edwards and kirksey anchor our line

Goldteam

Banned
Reaction score
when they become juniors and seniors

are they good enough to have a high impact in two years

or do you think they are just kind of so-so..........and will play but will be nothing special

I think we have some time to see.

This Gophers have brought in a couple D-lineman this year and will have another recruiting class before then to see what our entire line will look like by then. Edwards has the talent to be an effective NT in the Big Ten but he must develope like every young player must. The good news is they have next year to still bring their games up a level or two. Next year we will have an experienced like with mostly Seniors along the front line with the younger players filling in.

Both played a lot this year as true freshmen

They will likely be as good as we have next year. How many freshmen can be effective in the Big Ten (as these two have been)?

I still need to see more from Kirksey but Jewhan Edwards is going to be a beast. What is encouraging to me is that even though we have 3 juniors as the first three DT's (Small, Brown, Moen) we are still playing Edwards and Kirksey as true freshman. It would be one thing if they just went in for goalline plays because we need more big bodies but they are playing at regular times in the game.

I've got a friend that recruited Edwards for a competitor and he asks me about him most times that we talk. He was blown away by how good he thinks the guy is going to be.

Kirksey

when they become juniors and seniors

are they good enough to have a high impact in two years

or do you think they are just kind of so-so..........and will play but will be nothing special

I have been a major Kirksey fan since we signed him but he is going to have to watch his temper on the field if he's going to be a leader. Was it the Wisconsin game where he drew a 15 yard penalty for smacking that guy in the face? I don't mind a little competitive jousting but Kirksey has not been getting many minutes. He should be making the most of his freshman opportunities and instead he drew a personal foul that almost got him kicked out of the game. Brewster cursed him out on the sidelines afterwards. Hope this helps.

I like them both, I see a great deal of potential from both of them.

Don't forget another (R)Freshman, Anthony Jacobs. I hope he gets more time next year

Don't forget another (R)Freshman, Anthony Jacobs. I hope he gets more time next year

Jacobs got more playing time against Iowa than I remember seeing in any other game. He was active and made plays. I was impressed. I thought it looked like he was playing DT but he is listed as a DE. For a while we were in a 3-4 so it blends together. Can anyone confirm whether he is a DT or DE?

You're starting to get it. Defensive Tackles are hard to find, and once you have a prototype, Jewahn Edwards, you need to recruit at least one more each year. If you can find two, you are LSU. You name the sport, if you are not strong up the middle you suck. Edwards as a nose tackle allows the team to play 3-4 and he takes up at least two blocks. I especially like when he angles or cocks his his shoulders between the center and guard. He has most centers beat, and the double team is called for. He can force the double team backward, open a hole between the guard and tackle that is a perfect blitz lane. He is only a freshman, gentlemen. He is the real deal. Recruit another couple just like him. :D

DT

I agree. A disruptive DT is the most important ingredient in a good defense followed by a DE that can rush the passer. A DT that gets penetration has the ability to stop a running game two yards in the backfield. A DT that takes up two blocks allows the LB's freedom to scrape the line and shoot through the holes that the RB wants to run through. If you want dominant LB's you first need to recruit DT's. If you want any further evidence of this look at the Vikings and their two great DT's. You don't lead the NFL in rush defense without dominant DT's.

In the passing game, a DT that takes up blocks while pass rushing allows DE's to rush the passer in a one-on-one with the tackle, possibly forcing the RB to stay and chip the DE. And then look how much better the D looks this year when you add a dominant DE. It is amazing how much better the same secondary looks with a better pass rush.

Can Edwards and Kirksey anchor our line in two years, hell yes. Edwards is a great athlete and a load up the middle (remember he was promised he would not be played as the NG in a 3-4 when he was recruited. That was a deal breaker for him at the time.).

Kirksey is a load as well, very quick and obviously has a nasty streak. I cut the kid some slack on the personal foul as he was slapped in the head after the whistle and while it was a stupid Freshman mistake (not a Kirksey mistake per se) he stood up and let it be known he would not be pushed around or intimidated in the Big-10 and I want that type of attitude in my defensive players.

I envision Jacobs as our replacement for VanDeSteeg at DE next year, but who knows he could end up back at DT? He seemed to earn more and more playing time at DE as the season went on which is promising.

Wilhite and Combs (Who'll be Juniors) should be in the mix as well as Joey Searcy (Who'll be Soph by then) and perhaps even Richardson? Also you can expect BrewCo to bring in at least one big DT a year as the position is just so critical and you can't teach the size or attitude needed.

You're starting to get it. Defensive Tackles are hard to find, and once you have a prototype, Jewahn Edwards, you need to recruit at least one more each year. If you can find two, you are LSU. You name the sport, if you are not strong up the middle you suck. Edwards as a nose tackle allows the team to play 3-4 and he takes up at least two blocks. I especially like when he angles or cocks his his shoulders between the center and guard. He has most centers beat, and the double team is called for. He can force the double team backward, open a hole between the guard and tackle that is a perfect blitz lane. He is only a freshman, gentlemen. He is the real deal. Recruit another couple just like him. :D

cycling:D

1. Edwards and Kirksey are destined to be stars. They will dominate BT offensive linemen like we have never seen. One more year of rotation with Small and Garrett doing most of the work in '09. Small and Garrett will anchor a very good defense next year. Searcy and others will provide depth in '10. We have got to keep the huge, athletic DTs with heart coming in every year.
2. Husker is absolutely right. He knows football. The defense is built around a dominant middle. The DTs, MLB (2 in our case) and the safeties. Add blazing speed and skill on the corners and you have championship denfense.
3. Jacobs. As I recall, he moved from Chicago to Northfield and played his first football as a junior. He has 4 years of football under his belt. About the same as many 6th graders. He was a sprinter in high school. A little foogy here, but I think he anchored the state championship 4 x 100. Also foggy, but I think he played running back in high school, but projected as a DE. He is now pushing 300 pounds and is cut like a Greek god. Still shows his sprinter speed. Backed up WVDS as speed rush DE. When he masters DE technique he will be huge on the collegiate field. A monsterized Julius Peppers. This kid is REAL and a rising sophmore!
4. I am real excited about this D with Roof at the helm. I have wanted a D for 40 years.

Top Bottom