Camp Randall Stadium. Madison, Wi

Terrible stadium too.
Imagine building a third tier on our stadium then adding a section in the third tier further out than the plaza and having it face the plaza not the field. Thats the visitors section in Madison.

Said this before, but nothing tops traveling Iowa fans, absolute worst. Been to Camp Randall probably a dozen times. Did I get ribbed? Yes. Was there an idiot drunk mouthy kid now and again talking trash? Yes. Did I have a good time at all those games? Absolutely. Ex grew up there so I sat with my BIL for all the games in the middle of a sea of Wisc fans. Tailgated before with all Bucky fans and partied after at all the old haunts like Regent Street retreat.

I have one. Tailgate with a bunch of my buddies by the law school. Nebby fans walking by and looking around. I asked if we could help them find something, they quickly said no and turned away. I walked over with my buddies and asked again, “no seriously where are you trying to hit?” They wanted to walk through campus and hit some bars or a tailgate of some kind. We had so much food and drink and invited them to ours. They said “no way you’ll probably try to poison us!” I laughed and said “we aren’t Wisconsin fans come on!” They then laughed and told me about how awful their experiences were there. We told them ours over some beers and food. We had a great conversation about our teams and who was good and who wasn’t, who to watch, etc. Then all walked to the stadium through campus as a huge group. Pretty much every other fan was cool to them. One drunk jackov slung some insults and we said, there is always one and they agreed. We shook hands at the gate and parted ways and he told me that if we are ever at Nebby to go to their lot and their spot and they will take care of us. Overall I hope they had a great experience. They lost so it probably wasn’t a perfect one lol!
Nebby fans are the nicest I've encountered...NW is are a very close second.

Said this before, but nothing tops traveling Iowa fans, absolute worst. Been to Camp Randall probably a dozen times. Did I get ribbed? Yes. Was there an idiot drunk mouthy kid now and again talking trash? Yes. Did I have a good time at all those games? Absolutely. Ex grew up there so I sat with my BIL for all the games in the middle of a sea of Wisc fans. Tailgated before with all Bucky fans and partied after at all the old haunts like Regent Street retreat.
Retreat shout out!

I’ve mentioned this before, but this seems as good of a place as any to rehash the worst fan incident I have ever been part of: I brought my then-5-year-old to the 2003 victory over the Badgers at the dome. It was his first Gopher game and this was in the days prior to me going to all home games as a season ticket holder.

it was his first game so I bought him a Gopher souvenir football. It was a joyous exit from the dome after the close victory. I was holding my son’s hand as he clutched his football with his other hand. He was clutching it a little too tight as it squirted out of his arm. He instinctively pulled away from my hand to use both of his hands to pick up his football.

it was at that point where all hell broke loose as while he was bent over to pick up his football, a drunken Badger fan rushed up from behind and booted the ball with full effort, like it was the opening kickoff. To this day I am amazed he managed to miss my son’s hands and face. The ball sailed out into the street but this whole scene played out in front of about 20 Gopher fans… several of whom immediately had this drunken sconnie up against one of those 2D sports statues that used to be out the NW side of the dome. Another Gopher fan retrieved the football and I scooted my son out of there as I glanced back to see a growing crowd of Gopher fans surrounding, pushing, and yelling at the drunken sconnie.

I took the whole family to the 2010 Brewster loss and the two point conversion because it was on the card at Wisconsin. My wife still brings up what we heard as we were nearing the stadium: “F*** you and your kids!” However, that was balanced by a nice friendly tailgate preceding that walk, with some nice folks from Buckyville.
That's a brutal game day experience. I had taken my then 80 yo Mom to the Metrodome for the same game. While waiting in line to get into the game an older, definitely in his 60's, Badger fan walked up to the dome and peed on it while telling us " this is what I think of your dome ". My Mom wanted to leave and I had to talk into staying for the game. I told him this is one of the many reasons we dislike WI fans.

Retreat shout out!
That place was crazy at times, but fun. Most drunk people over 70 that I've seen in one place at one time. Shuffle your feet because there was so much spilled beer on the floor.

I would say for the fans that have traveled here, you are right, Iowa is the worst and it's not even close. Especially back in the old dome days. I don't think it's been as bad since we've been in TCF.

I have never been to Iowa but my 1 road trip to Madison was awful.

When we went as a group of a few couples, we were completely minding our own business and not engaging any Wiscy fans. We were verbally berated and threatened for about 5 straight hours.

Were any chair legs pressed into anyone's eye sockets?

I would say for the fans that have traveled here, you are right, Iowa is the worst and it's not even close. Especially back in the old dome days. I don't think it's been as bad since we've been in TCF.

I have never been to Iowa but my 1 road trip to Madison was awful.
Without question. I used to intentionally avoid certain places when Iowa would come to town. It's like they sent the worst people in the whole state to travel with the team. Most probably couldn't even spell Iowa.

I have attended games at MN at Memorial Stadium , through the Dome and now the Bank and yearly at Camp Randall from about 1986, mostly for MN/WI games.
At Madison, I have never witnessed anything like some of the horror stories described above in the stadium or at tailgate parties or walking to and fro the stadium where fans from both schools were present..
Methinks, many of them have a tinge of creative writing rather than a description of actual events.
I will grant that the WI student section has been noted for anarchical behavior which is how I think people of that age should act and that WI fans tend to be far more exuberant than MN fans are.
But have I ever seen acts of violence-never.

I have attended games at MN at Memorial Stadium , through the Dome and now the Bank and yearly at Camp Randall from about 1986, mostly for MN/WI games.
At Madison, I have never witnessed anything like some of the horror stories described above in the stadium or at tailgate parties or walking to and fro the stadium where fans from both schools were present..
Methinks, many of them have a tinge of creative writing rather than a description of actual events.
I will grant that the WI student section has been noted for anarchical behavior which is how I think people of that age should act and that WI fans tend to be far more exuberant than MN fans are.
I can assure you my story is 100% factual. Awful, awful experience. The fact that so many people were participating in that kind of thing is what made it so bad. I can understand one jerk, but it was such a large percentage of people acting that way. Part of the drunk culture there I guess.

Many people [fans] have changed for the worst since games were played at Memorial Stadium. This stuff happens. Sadly, I've seen it many times.

This thread is a good reminder that we all need to make an effort to be welcoming to visiting fans, especially families. I was walking back to Como after the Penn State game and was behind some PSU fans. They had a lot of nasty insults thrown their way from students that definitely crossed the line of good-natured ribbing, and I ended up apologizing on their behalf and striking up a conversation with those fans. We can't control how the crazies behave, but we can at least do our part to give other fans a good experience.

This thread is a good reminder that we all need to make an effort to be welcoming to visiting fans, especially families. I was walking back to Como after the Penn State game and was behind some PSU fans. They had a lot of nasty insults thrown their way from students that definitely crossed the line of good-natured ribbing, and I ended up apologizing on their behalf and striking up a conversation with those fans. We can't control how the crazies behave, but we can at least do our part to give other fans a good experience.
Good point and well done on your part.

The only stadium I wear neutral colors is Madison. Everywhere else is fine.

Top Bottom