Camp Randall Stadium. Madison, Wi

I've been to WI & IA each thrice. IA is the fun drunks; WI is the mean drunks. Only more hostile fans I've experienced is SCSU hockey.
Inside Kinnick has a overpowering booze smell. Don't light a match, poof! We've passed Camp Randall a million times but next year we're taking the plunge.

I've been to Camp Randall three times so far. Twice with college friends and once with my father and badger friend and his dad. All three times have been an absolute blast. Much more banter when I went with my college friends but you can understand why that may be. It's a rivalry game so you will get banter, but most of it was friendly. I would assume you would be completely fine with your wife and 2 year old as they will most likely leave you alone.

I've had much worst experiences at Iowa. I had a father with two children behind us mocking P.J. and swearing for the majority of the game. Those fans are pr*cks to say the least.

My favorite opposing big ten west stadiums to visit are Nebraska and Wisconsin. Purdue isn't bad but not much of an environment.

Overall, Camp Randall is a very fun experience.
More son in law and daughter brought their 7 year old son to the game that the Gophers won in 2018; had a blast.

I’d never bring a 2 year old to a game I care about because the odds of leaving early are fairly high. My little dude experienced the first half of Miami OH before needing to leave.

Away games are a blast. I’ve been to a few big ten stadiums and haven’t had an issue.

Been to all B1G stadiums for Gopher games. Camp Randall is a cesspool unlike any other, and it’s not even close. Been there 3 times. Each time, been berated with insane amounts of swearing and yelling (not good natured ribbing). Had batteries thrown at me during the game while other Badger fans cheered. Had numerous people threaten to fight me unprovoked. It is literally about the last place I’d bring my 2 year old. One would hope Badger fans would recognize a child and tone it down, but I doubt it; they are the most vile, disgusting fans I’ve ever experienced in any sport in any venue, and very easily the drunkest.
I had batteries thrown at me too. Have the scar on my leg to show for it. I didn't provoke it either

A scar from a battery? They must have really chucked it at you.
Yup. It hurt. Bunch of college kids sitting on a porch. I should have reported it but I'm fine.

I've gone 4 times. I had beer dumped on me, hats and clothes stolen off my body, batteries thrown at me w no provocation.

I'll never go back to CR for a game again.

Been twice. Some nice folks but even their older fans will harass you for no real reason. They care a lot (I mean what else is there in Madison?) and at times seem to take threatening to fight people as their badge of honor. Would never go there with my family as you will hear vulgarities. For myself, I don’t really care but, and I view myself generally as anticonfrontational, Badger fans seem to go out of their way to accost you for whatever reason

Been there twice .. as a 22 yr old I had a blast .. I hit 33 had a family and wouldn't make that mistake of taking them again...

Be ready... Pay attn to your surroundings... Drunk sconnies are the worst kinda drunks... especially if they loose...

If CR smells like urine, I may be partly to blame. We were on our way to MI to watch the hockey Gophers play in Ann Arbor. Instead of one of WI's many fine wayside rest areas, we decided to relieve ourselves on CR. I'm not looking for virtual pats-on-the-back, just offering the suggestion. It just may be the most satisfying whiz you ever take.

If CR smells like urine, I may be partly to blame. We were on our way to MI to watch the hockey Gophers play in Ann Arbor. Instead of one of WI's many fine wayside rest areas, we decided to relieve ourselves on CR. I'm not looking for virtual pats-on-the-back, just offering the suggestion. It just may be the most satisfying whiz you ever take.
Can always use the "uromysitisis" excuse.

My wife and I have been to almost every Gopher-Badger game since the late-80s. Just to be the contrarian, I've rarely experienced the negative things some have mentioned here. I say "rarely" because I can't think of any offhand, although there may have been some smack talking on occasion that I've forgotten. Of course, we're usually (but not always) in the Gopher section. The pre-game experience is a blast.

How long ago was this? It's always had a vague urine smell as far back as I can remember. I have always attributed it to the wisconsin "just let it go in your pants" philosophy, but maybe it's partly due to guys like you.

Been there 5 times I think. Once was Wisconsin-Michigan. I most definitely would not take a child for two reasons, too much drinking and an uncomfortable venue. Would be a disaster with a small child. Fans are like everywhere else if you don't lip off.

I've been to camp Randall twice.

Brewster last trip there where bielma went for 2 and 2018 when we won.

I've been to Iowa and Nebraska as well. Wi is the worst. My first trip, despite walking to game with my then girlfriend and her parents I was called all sorts of homophobic slurs for just walking to game in gopher gear, by adults and college students.

There were few nice fans, but minority.

2018 My now wife asked me to not wear gopher gear to avoid repeat, I refused. bit more subdued, especially after punt return for TD. Winning was sweet, I was even on tv when they panned crowd. I regret not taking my hoodie off just before as my shirt under my gopher hoodie sad better dead than red.

Seats suck. Concourses suck. You'll be called names, but it's an interesting experience. I'd put it well behind Nebraska, and even behind Iowa....I'd go again potentially, but wouldn't seek it out

Might want to rethink bringing your wife and two year old to that environment! Just saying!
Absolutely agree. And what ever you do, if you are walking around outside the stadium, what ever you do, DON’T walk close to the stadium. From experience I made that mistake and got the “welcome” to Badger football, a class of beer from the top row on my new sweater.

When I was 16, and just got my license, my buddy and I road tripped to see a Twins - Brewers game at County Stadium. The Twins hit a home run, we went nuts, and someone threw a beer at us from the upper deck. Welcome to Wisconsin fandom...

That said, County Stadium is still to this day my favorite ballpark of all time.

I’d never bring a 2 year old to a game I care about because the odds of leaving early are fairly high. My little dude experienced the first half of Miami OH before needing to leave.

Away games are a blast. I’ve been to a few big ten stadiums and haven’t had an issue.
Everything with kids is repetition and conditioning them to things. I have brought my 6,4, and 2 year olds to every Gopher football game since they’ve been born (sans 2020, obviously), and have not once left early. Nor have they ever even asked to leave early as they love going. Of course, we load our stadium bags with coloring pads, snacks, etc. to keep them occupied if need be.

Everything with kids is repetition and conditioning them to things. I have brought my 6,4, and 2 year olds to every Gopher football game since they’ve been born (sans 2020, obviously), and have not once left early. Nor have they ever even asked to leave early as they love going. Of course, we load our stadium bags with coloring pads, snacks, etc. to keep them occupied if need be.
Cool story bro. I’m glad your kids were at the Ohio state game until 11pm

While I got a huge laugh out of some of these great stories...and believe me...there's not much truth in some of them, my favorite are the ones talking about fans throwing beers at them or spilling them on them.

How do I know these are stories? Because I've been going to games at Camp Randall for a while now and they've never served beer. Many times UW friends of mine told me to get my fill before going in. Im sure the university does this because they know how bad things would get (look at a Lambeau Field police scanner report for reference). We can all agree Wisconsinites may drink a lot but it doesnt mean they can handle it. It's also why SOME of the stories about walking to the stadium ARE likely true with how much their students drink beforehand.

Go to the game and enjoy it OP. I also would probably pass on the 2 year old, but not because of the swearing or vulgarity (a 2 year old wont even know half the chants) but because its not a very good stadium for seating and accommodations. Some of the worst concessions in all of college football in my experience.

Badgers are putting in some premium field boxes in the south endzones as part of a fairly massive remodel for their south end zone area as a whole with several lounge areas and other amenities from what this video shows.

While I got a huge laugh out of some of these great stories...and believe me...there's not much truth in some of them, my favorite are the ones talking about fans throwing beers at them or spilling them on them.

How do I know these are stories? Because I've been going to games at Camp Randall for a while now and they've never served beer. Many times UW friends of mine told me to get my fill before going in. Im sure the university does this because they know how bad things would get (look at a Lambeau Field police scanner report for reference). We can all agree Wisconsinites may drink a lot but it doesnt mean they can handle it. It's also why SOME of the stories about walking to the stadium ARE likely true with how much their students drink beforehand.

Go to the game and enjoy it OP. I also would probably pass on the 2 year old, but not because of the swearing or vulgarity (a 2 year old wont even know half the chants) but because its not a very good stadium for seating and accommodations. Some of the worst concessions in all of college football in my experience.

Yep no one brings beer or alcohol into stadiums. LOL, you’re clueless there. I haven’t been there for a while but they didn’t hardly check anyone for contraband when I last went. Very easy to tote in drinks and put them into soda cups (that’s what got me and was 100% a beer from grandma). As for the seats very much agree with you there, they are tight and uncomfortable bleacher seats. Portapotties are interesting and the concessions are definitely nothing great.

Have had good and bad experiences at many stadiums. Probably not great for a young kid. Sports fans that take it way to seriously in general are small wiener tool bags and they are in every stadium.

Yep no one brings beer or alcohol into stadiums. LOL, you’re clueless there. I haven’t been there for a while but they didn’t hardly check anyone for contraband when I last went. Very easy to tote in drinks and put them into soda cups (that’s what got me and was 100% a beer from grandma). As for the seats very much agree with you there, they are tight and uncomfortable bleacher seats. Portapotties are interesting and the concessions are definitely nothing great.
Bathroom sinks are full of bottles and cans brought into the stadium. It’s a cesspool.

I’ve mentioned this before, but this seems as good of a place as any to rehash the worst fan incident I have ever been part of: I brought my then-5-year-old to the 2003 victory over the Badgers at the dome. It was his first Gopher game and this was in the days prior to me going to all home games as a season ticket holder.

it was his first game so I bought him a Gopher souvenir football. It was a joyous exit from the dome after the close victory. I was holding my son’s hand as he clutched his football with his other hand. He was clutching it a little too tight as it squirted out of his arm. He instinctively pulled away from my hand to use both of his hands to pick up his football.

it was at that point where all hell broke loose as while he was bent over to pick up his football, a drunken Badger fan rushed up from behind and booted the ball with full effort, like it was the opening kickoff. To this day I am amazed he managed to miss my son’s hands and face. The ball sailed out into the street but this whole scene played out in front of about 20 Gopher fans… several of whom immediately had this drunken sconnie up against one of those 2D sports statues that used to be out the NW side of the dome. Another Gopher fan retrieved the football and I scooted my son out of there as I glanced back to see a growing crowd of Gopher fans surrounding, pushing, and yelling at the drunken sconnie.

I took the whole family to the 2010 Brewster loss and the two point conversion because it was on the card at Wisconsin. My wife still brings up what we heard as we were nearing the stadium: “F*** you and your kids!” However, that was balanced by a nice friendly tailgate preceding that walk, with some nice folks from Buckyville.

I'd be interested to hear what visiting fans think about their interpersonal experiences in Dinkytown. I hope that our fans who choose to be drunken fans do not behave like idiots.

I'd be interested to hear what visiting fans think about their interpersonal experiences in Dinkytown. I hope that our fans who choose to be drunken fans do not behave like idiots.
I have one. Tailgate with a bunch of my buddies by the law school. Nebby fans walking by and looking around. I asked if we could help them find something, they quickly said no and turned away. I walked over with my buddies and asked again, “no seriously where are you trying to hit?” They wanted to walk through campus and hit some bars or a tailgate of some kind. We had so much food and drink and invited them to ours. They said “no way you’ll probably try to poison us!” I laughed and said “we aren’t Wisconsin fans come on!” They then laughed and told me about how awful their experiences were there. We told them ours over some beers and food. We had a great conversation about our teams and who was good and who wasn’t, who to watch, etc. Then all walked to the stadium through campus as a huge group. Pretty much every other fan was cool to them. One drunk jackov slung some insults and we said, there is always one and they agreed. We shook hands at the gate and parted ways and he told me that if we are ever at Nebby to go to their lot and their spot and they will take care of us. Overall I hope they had a great experience. They lost so it probably wasn’t a perfect one lol!

Top Bottom