Cameron Christie COMMITS!

I know little about him but this seems like a really good get. Some of his other offers were very recent too.

I know little about him but this seems like a really good get. Some of his other offers were very recent too.

He definitely started blowing up this spring. Glad we were in on him early. He is up to 6'5 or 6'6 (depending which site you wanna believe). His mom was a star player at Northwestern back in the day and his brother was obviously an early 2nd round pick this year after one year in East Lansing. Very good basketball genes!

That's a huge get! Hats off to Ben!! What a great way to get closer to closing a deal with our PG of the future Mr Chatman. Love it!

Interesting that IL has one 4* recruit in the whole state according to 247. Christie is the #2 recuit in the state as a 3*.

Nice get! Can anybody with background on Christie provide some insight? I'm assuming he's more of a wing than a primary ball handler, correct?

Nice. Good start to 2023 class .

Ben is the real deal! Christie will fit in nice with his new teammates.

I'm guessing he'll eventually be a 4 star with all the offers he's gotten lately.
It can be fairly comical to watch rankings change after a kid commits. Commit to Duke UK ku unc watch your ranking soar, commit to non traditional power, maybe fall a few spots. The sites like it when their top 20 kids are all at super powers, makes them look smart

Really nice write-up in the Sun-Times. Seems like a really mature kid with an all around game that should mesh well:

Really nice write-up in the Sun-Times. Seems like a really mature kid with an all around game that should mesh well:
This was the best part of what he said. He isn't off one bit.

“Even though he is just going into his second year, I like the way he coaches,” Christie said. “All six or seven of those guys in their rotation last year had the confidence to take whatever shot was open or whatever aggressive play they could make. I really appreciate the fact all his players looked and felt confident. The coaching style stood out and how coach Johnson instills belief in his players is something that really stood out to me. Those are the type of coaches you want to play for.”

Call it my Gopher Paranoia. He can still de-commit later, right?

I don't know anything about his game but I LOVE that he doesn't feel the need to put his life on social media.

This was the best part of what he said. He isn't off one bit.

“Even though he is just going into his second year, I like the way he coaches,” Christie said. “All six or seven of those guys in their rotation last year had the confidence to take whatever shot was open or whatever aggressive play they could make. I really appreciate the fact all his players looked and felt confident. The coaching style stood out and how coach Johnson instills belief in his players is something that really stood out to me. Those are the type of coaches you want to play for.”
Yep, he's 100% right and it's pretty impressive for a guy his age to notice.

He is a really good fit with our current crop of players.

Ben sure is bringing in some shooters!

Yep, he's 100% right and it's pretty impressive for a guy his age to notice.
I was thinking a bit more about this quote and setting aside what type of player we’re getting in Christie, I’ve become even more optimistic about the direction Johnson may take the program. If we consider the other programs that offered plus the background that Christie’s family has with D-1 basketball this seems to be a huge endorsement for a coach coming off his first year with a losing season. Reading Christie’s analysis of last season and considering his savvy, low key approach to recruitment, I am reading in between the lines a genuineness and trustworthiness that Johnson is displaying to the recruits and players, which I have to think will suit him and the program very well in this ever evolving landscape of college hoops.

Loved his dad with the Kings. Great competitor. Hopefully he is the same.

Top Bottom