Cam Wiley in transfer portal

NCAA has to change the transfer rules - the new one is creating anarchy, coaches are stealing from one another, there is in effect another recruiting season, and the whole thing makes a mockery of attending one institution for an education. Nevertheless, I don't blame Wiley for using the system as it stands!

NCAA has to change the transfer rules - the new one is creating anarchy, coaches are stealing from one another, there is in effect another recruiting season, and the whole thing makes a mockery of attending one institution for an education. Nevertheless, I don't blame Wiley for using the system as it stands!
I will work out and it's for the better. People should be able to try and make their life what they want it to be and coaches are paid enough to deal with it.

Fleck on Wiley through Ryan Burns article.

What went into Cam Wiley's decision to transfer?​

Fleck: "Once they hit the portal, my philosophy is I don't really say much about them, but Cam Wiley is an awesome young man, and I'm sad to see him go. But there's some reasons why he wanted to go and get closer to home and his family and I wish him all the best and I support him 100%.
But like I said before. This is the offseason that is the second year of that portal being open and people able to know what it's like and all over the country, that's going to happen more and more. Especially whether they have depth charts, whether they get closer to home, whether they have family issues, whether they have these things that the portals designed for the young players to have opportunities that fit them really well. Whether they stay or whether they go. And everybody has a different personal situation. And I think that's what it was designed for to make sure that the student athlete has the ability to you know find the proper home or get closer to home, or whatever their circumstances are.
They have the ability without being punished to be able to make their life better. Their personal life better, and again, I support him 100%. Again, I'm going to miss him as he's a really good person and I had a wonderful talk with him. And we wish him all the best."

Like it or not, this is how college sports will operate going forward. every player has one "free" transfer - i.e. can move without having to sit out a year.

so, if a player is buried on the depth chart, and he thinks he deserves more playing time, the transfer portal is sitting there with the enticement that "another school will give me playing time."

In general, I still don't think you're going to see a lot of starters using the portal, unless they are having other issues with the program. More often than not, guys going into the portal will be looking for playing time - either a 'lateral' move to a similar program, or moving from a P5 to a G5 level.

but, going forward, you can expect to see a few transfers every year from almost every D1 program in the country, and MN is no exception. Every D1 FB player was a star in HS and they think they can be a star in college if they find the right situation/team.

I don't think you want players who are "happy" sitting on the bench. You want players who want to play - but that will also lead some players to transfer.

It's essentially making the commitment process irrelevant...There is no penalty for leaving so there is no incentive for guys to stay if they cant get everything they want......It puts coaches in an impossible position as far as getting playing time to players to keep them happy....The days of loyalty to the school, coach, fans and finishing what you have started are essentially over for a lot of these kids.

The days of loyalty to the school, coach, fans and finishing what you have started are essentially over for a lot of these kids
The days of FORCED loyalty.

It's good. Players are still getting screwed compared to coaches. Name one other job or area of society you would advocate for the restrictions college athletes have. There aren't any.

18 year old essentially forced labor, it's no wonder those who benefit support it.

Got no carries vs Neb, while Williams, Thomas, Irving, and Kramer all get at least six. I don't blame him.

Best of luck to him, wherever he ends up!
Yep, if you don’t get playing time it’s the coaches fault. Just like 5th grade.

It's good. Players are still getting screwed compared to coaches. Name one other job or area of society you would advocate for the restrictions college athletes have. There aren't any.

18 year old essentially forced labor, it's no wonder those who benefit support it.
I would have a loved a free college education, tutors and now a chance to make money thru corporate marketing.....call me crazy

Like it or not, this is how college sports will operate going forward. every player has one "free" transfer - i.e. can move without having to sit out a year.

so, if a player is buried on the depth chart, and he thinks he deserves more playing time, the transfer portal is sitting there with the enticement that "another school will give me playing time."

In general, I still don't think you're going to see a lot of starters using the portal, unless they are having other issues with the program. More often than not, guys going into the portal will be looking for playing time - either a 'lateral' move to a similar program, or moving from a P5 to a G5 level.

but, going forward, you can expect to see a few transfers every year from almost every D1 program in the country, and MN is no exception. Every D1 FB player was a star in HS and they think they can be a star in college if they find the right situation/team.

I don't think you want players who are "happy" sitting on the bench. You want players who want to play - but that will also lead some players to transfer.
Don't think Williams has been happy to stand on the sidelines but he showed up every day and laid out for the team.

Yeah, why can't they have a public employees union like postal workers?

This is one that I didn't see coming, but I guess it makes sense? He'll have 3 years of eligibility left, I wish him the best of luck wherever he ends up!! Good luck, Cam!! (apologies if this was mentioned previously, i briefly looked and didn't see a thread on it).

Saturday pretty much confirmed he was 5th on the RB depth chart (Mo, Potts, Buck o/y, Thomas, Williams). The scary thing is from a depth perspective, we've got just 3 scholarship RB's for the rest of the year.

I love the approach PJ is taking to the portal and the newfound freedom of the players to transfer without sitting. It's going to happen. Everywhere. Don't make enemies and have kids leaving mad. Create a program where kids want to stay and the word of mouth is good so kids also want to transfer in. I think the coaches that are fighting the portal are fighting a losing battle and will have to adapt eventually.

It makes me wonder what is going on with Curtis Dunlop. There is no announcement by him about transferring as far as I know. Was there any mention by PJ Fleck?

It makes me wonder what is going on with Curtis Dunlop. There is no announcement by him about transferring as far as I know. Was there any mention by PJ Fleck?
PJ was asked on his tv show....He was sad he left but wished him luck...He doesn't talk about the circumstances when players enter the transfer portal.

If he’s leaving, it’s hard to blame him. He’s got to be frustrated at his lack of playing time with Mo and Trey out.

He's gone. I've adopted a policy where I no longer comment on players in the portal. Let it go.

Good player. So are the players ahead of him. I agree, let it go.

If he’s leaving, it’s hard to blame him. He’s got to be frustrated at his lack of playing time with Mo and Trey out.
That is what happens when your program gets better and becomes competitive with the top teams. You have depth, which means that you will have good players that do not get much playing time with more new recruits jumping ahead of them every year. It is the cold hard facts of college football. Wish him the best and hope he finds a place to get some playing time.

I assume he wants playing time. I don't blame him for that. Best of luck to him.

I assume he wants playing time. I don't blame him for that. Best of luck to him.
With that said, we are getting awfully thin at RB. I don't think we can take too many more injuries there. I had this problem in NCAA "Madden" football though and I had to move a WR back there for depth. It got me through the season, anyways!!

The Transfer Portal can be a team's best friend of worst enemy.

There will be winners and losers for both teams and players.

You hope that all is well. There will be share of regrets.

The tweet seems like he is sentimental about his good times and plays here. His written statement said the same. He obviously just knows he is way down the depth chart and by leaving now, he has the opportunity to still play 3 years elsewhere. I could see him doing well in the MWC, C-USA or especially FCS. Maybe he ends up back home at UNLV or Nevada.

Coach emphasized in the presser a student-athletes desire to be closer to home 4 or 5 times on the issue of the portal in reference to Cam.

Don't recall where he's from but that comment may be a big hint...

FYI: We’ve had 6 different threads started on Cam entering the Portal. We’ve combined them all. Please take a quick skim of the Board to see if a topic like this has been posted.

Coach emphasized in the presser a student-athletes desire to be closer to home 4 or 5 times on the issue of the portal in reference to Cam.

Don't recall where he's from but that comment may be a big hint...

Las Vegas

Yep, if you don’t get playing time it’s the coaches fault.
Not the coaches fault, and I doubt he would say so.

AND

He wants to try his hand elsewhere. Perfectly fine. That's the new way, going forward.

Top Bottom