Cam Christie declares for NBA (while maintaining college eligibility)

If Christie returns...it means we have a good Sleaze Fund going! Which I would have never expected.

It's the right move for him. Gather information that will allow him to make an informed decision about permanently entering the draft or not, while not jeopardizing his college eligibility. My guess is he'll get a low first round grade in a down draft and decide it's too good to pass up.
I'll be as curious as he is how this comes out. Certainly being advised that this is a weak class and a potential opportunity. At the same time, you can either play or not; you can either make a roster or not.

It's the right move for him. Gather information that will allow him to make an informed decision about permanently entering the draft or not, while not jeopardizing his college eligibility. My guess is he'll get a low first round grade in a down draft and decide it's too good to pass up.
I don’t follow the draft guys but as I understand it, he’s not showing up on any of the boards. Some of that is ignorance, but some has to be they don’t think he’s draftable just yet. Low first round in that scenario seems quite optimistic. I hope he returns.

I don’t follow the draft guys but as I understand it, he’s not showing up on any of the boards. Some of that is ignorance, but some has to be they don’t think he’s draftable just yet. Low first round in that scenario seems quite optimistic. I hope he returns.
I also wonder how much of that is they don't think he was going to declare and stay in the draft. One sight had him as the 9th best guard in 2025. The 9th best guard in 2024 is projected around the end of the 1st or early 2nd.

It'll depend on what it would take from the feedback for him to stay in the draft. Is it possible 1st round? Is it late 1st/early 2nd?

Press release from U of MN:

MINNEAPOLIS - University of Minnesota freshman guard Cam Christie has submitted paperwork for early entry into the 2024 NBA Draft while maintaining his college eligibility. Christie made his announcement on his social media channels.

Christie, a 6-6, 190-pound freshman guard, ranked second on the team in scoring this past season. The Arlington Heights, Ill., native averaged 11.3 points this season and 30.1 minutes played. Christie shot 40.3 from the field and 39.1 from beyond the arc this past season. He ranked first on the team in three-pointers attempted (179) and second in three-pointers made (70). The rookie has also established 119 rebounds, 74 assists, 11 blocks, 21 steals, and 373 points. Playing in 33 games this past season, Christie started in 26 and scored in double digits 21 times this year, including a six-game Big Ten streak. Christie was also a two-time Big Ten Freshman of the Week. Christie was the first Gopher freshman to land a spot on the Big Ten's All-Freshman Team since Amir Coffey in 2017.

Double edged sword for him. Undoubtedly a weak draft class helps him, but he also needs a lot of work to be nba ready. I think he comes back, mostly because nba guys get enamored with upside later in the draft, Cam has less upside that some 7'1 kid from Bosnia that no one knows much about but might be good one day. Odd to say but that's how it tends to play out.

Coffey stayed in and wasn't even a 1st round pick. Unfortunately I think it's 50/50 he stays in.

His closest comp is Coffey; who was a junior when he went through the process and went undrafted.

Did Coyle actually pay Garcia $500K ? That's a minimum price.
Why did Garcia return?
This isn't the thread for your question. Stay on topic with Christie or go to a different thread.

My question in regards to Christie is whether he can still go to another University after he gets input from the NBA. If so, then there are no guarantees he chooses UMN.

This isn't the thread for your question. Stay on topic with Christie or go to a different thread.

My question in regards to Christie is whether he can still go to another University after he gets input from the NBA. If so, then there are no guarantees he chooses UMN.
I don't think so, from what I can tell he didn't enter the portal, and it closes in the beginning of May (?). So I'd think he'd still be a Gopher. If he transfered after that point I don't think he'd be eligible, and then, why is he even coming back.

I might be wrong, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am.

It's going to boil down to how much potential NBA scouts think he has. It's not stats necessarily. The projected #4 pick is a frosh from Colorado - Cody Williams 6-8 kid with almost exactly Cam's offensive statistics. I see Cam and he looks so far from being an NBA ready player, but the scouts may see it differently...

He definitely can shoot - that's his calling card. He has decent quickness but he is not what I would call a high end athlete. He is an average college defender at best right now. Decent vertical.
His ball handling is good for a frosh but he scares me when he dribbles- it just doesn't look secure.
He did not move great without the ball. Average passer. He has the tools to be a great college basketball player- not sure on the NBA level- it just depends on how hard he works at it.

Not surprised. It's a weaker draft and the deadline to withdraw is June 15th. He has a chance to sneak into the first round, despite not being on a top 100 prospects. It's either draft or Dinkytown.

I have no idea what the NBA scouts look for and value. I do think Christie is a better prospect than Coffey was and Coffey has done alright.

I'll be as curious as he is how this comes out. Certainly being advised that this is a weak class and a potential opportunity. At the same time, you can either play or not; you can either make a roster or not.
It is great and all, but personally I do not think he is anywhere near ready. However, my opinion on the matter is irrelevant!

even if he gets draft in mid second and hangs onto a roster it’s a smart move. Look no further than Amir coffee. He’s made over 7m in the last two years…it’s better than all of us. Life is good as a 2nd round pick who can hang around.

Top Bottom