Calvin Godfrey

JohnnyGopher

Reaction score
Had a chance to watch the big man for Cooper against Armstrong last week, as did Tubby, and while he was in foul trouble and only had 6 points, I really came away impressed with his size and athleticism. He was much stronger than I was expecting and a legit 6'7, maybe 6'8, a true PF but I was suprised to see how athletic he was, got up and blocked some shots and rebounded well, appeared raw on the offensive end but it was his first game with a new team in a new city so it wasn't a shock to hear him say he was very nervous.

Last night Minnesota Assistant Coach Taylor went to watch and word is he was very, very impressed with Godfrey as he went against a good and big Sibley team. Don't know the details of the game or stats but Cooper did blow Sibley out by 30, the same Sibley team that played Hopkins tuff on Wednesday.

Have heard he had grade problems in milwaukee, not sure if that is still an issue, but I would say he is definately at or near the top of potential replacements for Royce or Trevor for next year.

Godfrey -espn

From http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recr...ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=68730

"April, 2009: Godfrey is an athletic finisher with great upside. He runs the floor every time and keeps pressure on the opposing teams post players. Godfrey dunks with power and through contact around the rim. He works to seal his man in the low post and can step out to about..."

And from our own Myron on Sep 12, 2009:

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/59074827.html

"You’ve got a 6-8 guy from Milwaukee North who is going to Cooper. He just registered there yesterday. He’s a great basketball player. He’s one of the top 10 recruits for the country. I don’t know his name."

"You’ve got a 6-8 guy from Milwaukee North who is going to Cooper. He just registered there yesterday. He’s a great basketball player. He’s one of the top 10 recruits for the country. I don’t know his name."

Oh, Myron. That made me laugh. "He is one of the top 10 recruits in the country... (but) I don't know his name."

LOL - To be fair

Oh, Myron. That made me laugh. "He is one of the top 10 recruits in the country... (but) I don't know his name."

To be fair, Myron was recounting how he first heard about Calvin from a colleague's email. It was the colleague that said "... I don't know his name."

Myron then goes on to say how he, Myron, found out Calvin's name.

You are correct in that the manner I took Myron's quote out of context is pretty funny :)

Godfrey is not one of the top 10 recruits in the country, regardless of what class you include him in. The guy at NY2LA has Godfrey ranked #3 among Wisconsin kids in the 2010 class, which puts him ahead of UW signee Evan Anderson. I would trust Mark Miller's rankings more, but he does not include Godfrey. I am not certain, but I don't think he played in Wisconsin last year either. I believe he was at a prep school for at least part of the year. I could be making that up though.

http://www.ny2lasports.com/414hoops/article_one.aspx?articleid=262

Godfrey played at Milwaukee Custer as a sophomore and that was when he made his commitment to UW-Milwaukee. Sounds like a combination of academics and living in a troubled area that led to him going to Notre Dame Prep in Massachusetts(same school that Jonathan Williams went to and Jordair Jett currently attends). He has family in Minnesota which I think was the driving force behind the move to Robbinsdale for his senior season. He parted ways with UWM back in August and I believe is pretty open in regards to recruiting right now. ESPN thinks very highly of him, more so than Rivals or Scout.

I still want to see him play more as I'm sure MN coaches do as well but considering that they missed out on the summer recruiting season as far as PF's go since they didn't think they would need one for this class and most of the top guys have signed already, it wasn't going to be easy to find a quality big guy this late and they don't want to go the juco route if they can help it so maybe Godfrey ends up being the answer. Right now we only have one available and thats for Cory so nothing can really happen until there is some resolution in the Royce and Trevor situations.

cooper plays Minnetonka this afternoon.

To be fair, Myron was recounting how he first heard about Calvin from a colleague's email. It was the colleague that said "... I don't know his name."

Myron then goes on to say how he, Myron, found out Calvin's name.

You are correct in that the manner I took Myron's quote out of context is pretty funny :)

I see. I didn't bother to read the article, since I can totally see Myron writing something like that.

I take PF rankings with a grain of salt as there is a lot of filling out to do and a lot of technique to be taught--so considering the tools that Godfrey already has, I'm pretty excited that he could easily fill the foreseeable void...

Top Bottom