Caleb Williams to MN?

Entered the portal. We got a couple big businesses up here to pay the man?
There have been whispers about him going to Georgia for a bit. It's pretty gross actually considering Oklahoma was still playing at the time.

At some point, isn't it just going to be quicker and easier to list all the QB's that AREN'T moving? The list is getting shorter by the day.

I'm hoping the portal settles down in the next few years, because this isn't good for the sport. If it stays this nuts, I think they're going to have to institute some sort of rules to reduce the sheer number of transfers. Like when you sign to a school, you give a 3 year commitment (essentially like how the draft-eligible players in baseball works). You can free transfer at any point after 3 years, as a grad transfer, or if your head coach gets fired/leaves. If you don't fall under one of those instances, you have to sitout a year that doesn't count against your eligibility (so as to not punish kids that took a redshirt their first year). Obviously, because Riley left, my own rules wouldn't prevent Williams from free transferring, but good gravy it would seem some guidelines may be in order.

Of course, wherever Williams goes probably means that school will have a couple of their current QB's transfer out, because they won't want to sit behind Williams for 2 years. So that will add even more QB's to the portal.

Last edited:

There have been whispers about him going to Georgia for a bit. It's pretty gross actually considering Oklahoma was still playing at the time.
I wonder if it was before or after Lincoln Riley bolted on his QB?

I wonder if it was before or after Lincoln Riley bolted on his QB?
It sounds like it was after (at least the whispers started after). It makes sense too. Caleb WIlliams likely chose Oklahoma because of Riley and now that Riley is gone he is looking elsewhere. But who knows.

It sounds like it was after (at least the whispers started after). It makes sense too. Caleb WIlliams likely chose Oklahoma because of Riley and now that Riley is gone he is looking elsewhere. But who knows.
I agree. Tick for tack. Nothing gross, it's just business these days.

I’m sure PJ would say we’re good if some high profile QB came knocking. Too loyal imo.

I agree. Tick for tack. Nothing gross, it's just business these days.
I understand him transferring. I think it is gross to be looking for your next landing spot while you're still at Oklahoma playing in a bowl game. If that's what happened, then that is gross to me.

I understand him transferring. I think it is gross to be looking for your next landing spot while you're still at Oklahoma playing in a bowl game. If that's what happened, then that is gross to me.
He likely did. And we agreed Riley did the exact thing to him, right.? It's just business. Caleb is looking out for #1, as he should.

He likely did. And we agreed Riley did the exact thing to him, right.? It's just business. Caleb is looking out for #1, as he should.
Yeah and I think Lincoln Riley acted sh!tty too.

He clearly was looking out for #1 and I don't really have a big issue with that. My issue is that he had a commitment to Oklahoma and he broke that commitment during the season. Even in the NFL, that is not allowed. I think it says a lot about his character.

Yeah and I think Lincoln Riley acted sh!tty too.

He clearly was looking out for #1 and I don't really have a big issue with that. My issue is that he had a commitment to Oklahoma and he broke that commitment during the season. Even in the NFL, that is not allowed. I think it says a lot about his character.
Or Caleb sees it that he committed to Riley who bailed on him and also figured he owed the University nothing in return.

I do understand what you are saying though. And I agree that is probably the general consensus of the prior generations of players. The game has evolved. Loyalties are out the window. It's every man/coach for himself now days.

Last edited:

Or Caleb sees it that he committed to Riley who bailed on him and also figured he owed the University nothing, in return.

I do understand what you are saying though. And I agree that is probably the general consensus of the prior generations of players. The game has evolved. Loyalties are out the window. It's every man/coach for himself now days.
I agree, he doesn't owe anyone his loyalty after this season. To look for his landing spot during the season is a sh!tty thing to his teammates and the school that gave him an opportunity. He does owe people his loyalty during the season and if he can't get it, he should have opted out.

I agree it's every man for himself and the game has changed, however, if he did what we assume he did do, that is something you'd lose draft picks for in the NFL. It's against the rules even in the NFL. So if this new generation of players can't even hold themselves to that incredibly low standard then maybe they aren't capable of handling this evolving nature of the game. There is big money involved in college football and if they want to get a piece of that pie (and I'm cool with them getting that piece) then they need to act like professionals. They don't get to be "just a kid" anymore. There are times in my career where I wouldn't be allowed to break my fiduciary duty.

I agree, he doesn't owe anyone his loyalty after this season. To look for his landing spot during the season is a sh!tty thing to his teammates and the school that gave him an opportunity. He does owe people his loyalty during the season and if he can't get it, he should have opted out.

I agree it's every man for himself and the game has changed, however, if he did what we assume he did do, that is something you'd lose draft picks for in the NFL. It's against the rules even in the NFL. So if this new generation of players can't even hold themselves to that incredibly low standard then maybe they aren't capable of handling this evolving nature of the game. There is big money involved in college football and if they want to get a piece of that pie (and I'm cool with them getting that piece) then they need to act like professionals. They don't get to be "just a kid" anymore. There are times in my career where I wouldn't be allowed to break my fiduciary duty.
I see your point. Riley was obviously in talks during the season too. If it's good for the goose and all of that.

I see it that Caleb handled it like a business and took matters in his own hand. He likely put out a few feelers to see if there would be any mutual interest. Likely thru his high school coach which is perfectly within the rules. Personally, I don't have a problem with it but I do see your point.

Oklahoma lost Spencer Rattler and Caleb Williams in just a few months.

LMAO! This move has nothing to do with Lincoln Riley bailing. Williams is shopping around for the biggest NIL deal - he’s essentially a free agent.
I imagine the opportunity to showcase his skills will be as important as NIL money.

I see your point. Riley was obviously in talks during the season too. If it's good for the goose and all of that.

I see it that Caleb handled it like a business and took matters in his own hand. He likely put out a few feelers to see if there would be any mutual interest. Likely thru his high school coach which is perfectly within the rules. Personally, I don't have a problem with it but I do see your point.
Yeah, Riley is a snake too. I don't know why you keep bringing up Riley like that somehow excuses Caleb William's sh!tty behavior.

He didn't handle it like a professional. What he did would be against the rules for a professional. He handled it like a crappy short-sighted businessman who doesn't understand that your integrity is one of the single most monetizable assets as you go further in the world. He is playing a sport where he will be asked to be a leader of whatever team eventually drafts him. This isn't a guy like Joe Burrow or Jalen Hurts who transferred and left the right way. This was a guy who was putting out feelers during a bowl week like a snake.

I get thinking about it like a businessman. He should. I have never been someone who was even against NIL or players transferring. I just think he went about it in a conniving way and that is something he will and should carry with him as he tries to convince the next locker room that he isn't all about himself. There is a time and place to be looking for your next "pay day" and in the middle of bowl preparation week, that isn't it.

I’m sure PJ would say we’re good if some high profile QB came knocking. Too loyal imo.
You talking about the guy who tells his players that his job is to go get players that are better than they are?

He is a true freshman that will turn 21 this year. He was held back twice before HS.

He is a true freshman that will turn 21 this year. He was held back twice before HS.
Parents wanted to give him every advantage in sports. I predict he does nothing beyond college.

How about some Gopher booster arranges for him to row this boat? He can dock it at the Flats and live on it.

luxury_yachts-technema_95-5-2006-164356-picture-001.jpeg

$25-30 mil is insanity. $3 mil, however, isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Hmmm.... I thought the Manning kid was a lock to ga. With ewers to TX then Williams to ga (possibly) I bet ole miss wins the Manning sweepstakes

Hmmmm...

If the college football money machine must now dump huge piles of cash on star players, does that mean college coaches might see less money coming their way?

I'm assuming the base money supply is not infinite.

Or, do rich boosters now need to lavish insane amounts of money on both players and coaches?

Top Bottom