BYU dismisses one of its top forwards due to honor code violation

Playing Devil's Advocate but isn't college the one time in a person life where they should be trying new things, having fun, and overall just being a care free youth. It seems to me that the Honor Code says no to all of that.

:eek:

The honor code is about upholding what the LDS believe is a standard of Godly living above all else regardless of whether you're in college, having a bad hair day, etc.

Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean, that really got out of hand fast.

Playing Devil's Advocate but isn't college the one time in a person life where they should be trying new things, having fun, and overall just being a care free youth. QUOTE]

seriously?

I-can-t--I-m-mormon-mormons-332318_400_400.jpg

Respectfully, and I say this as an imperfect being with many flaws, perhaps not everyone's priority in life is to "bump uglies" and to party?

Exactly. It's like, you make a decision to go to BYU because you believe in what it stands for. It's hardly different than choosing to go to a public university cause you have the freedom to "bump uglies" and whatnot. The people who choose to go there are making a CHOICE to go there and to abide by the honor code presented, the same as anyone who chooses to go to Minnesota is making a CHOICE. That's what this life is all about, you making your personal decisions to live your life a certain way. Just because you don't agree with their decisions doesn't mean you have to be all disrespectful about it.

Every religion has its moments to be sure, and I don't really care for the politics of the LDSs but I don't appreciate the tenor of this thread. It is inappropriate on so many levels.

Yes, the ethics meter at BYU is drastically different than other schools but that shouldn't invite derision. The exposure that our beloved G-hole has had in larger media markets tells you that people are checking us out; listening to our little sewing circle. "God" forbid we offend a potential Mormon recruit with intolerant sentiment.

Finally, people have wondered what has happened to Snowman; well I know he doesn't take kindly to people using the word retarded so flippantly. It's embarrassing.

GopherFan75 does not represent the majority of g'holers. He's the only one acting like a 10 year old in this thread.

Good for them. It is nice to see some institutions stick to their principles whether or not you agree with them.

Its true caffinated drinks are fine. Do the Dew

its warm drinks that are evil= No coffee, tea, hot cider, hot chocolate....etc

wrong. Hot drinks are coffee and tea. Hot cider, hot chocolate no problem. Btw, coffee and tea are not evil, just not good for our physical well being and we are asked to abstain.

Btw, coffee and tea are not evil, just not good for our physical well being and we are asked to abstain.

Are you LDS?

I feel bad for the kid who's played basketball his whole life. Not many get a chance to play in the NCAA as a number 1 seed. We don't know what happened. One slip up, that could be as small as going on a coffee date, cost him a chance to play on college basketball’s biggest stage. Did he know the rules before he went there? Yes. That doesn't mean it's not silly. To me it makes it sadder. The kid has high standards for himself.

Kudos to BYU for spoiling a very good basketball team’s opportunity to play at its highest level. This is bad for basketball.

My question is why would anyone want to go to BYU with its Honor Code, if they weren't LDS? Just saying but most of my favorite college memories violated at least 1 of the Honor Codes requirements.

Brandon Davies is a Mormon and he's from Provo, so he definitely knew what he was getting into.

Every religion has its moments to be sure, and I don't really care for the politics of the LDSs but I don't appreciate the tenor of this thread. It is inappropriate on so many levels.

Yes, the ethics meter at BYU is drastically different than other schools but that shouldn't invite derision. The exposure that our beloved G-hole has had in larger media markets tells you that people are checking us out; listening to our little sewing circle. "God" forbid we offend a potential Mormon recruit with intolerant sentiment.

Finally, people have wondered what has happened to Snowman; well I know he doesn't take kindly to people using the word retarded so flippantly. It's embarrassing.

Sorry that he is so sensitive.

Too many kids have gone through BYU without picking up suspensions for me to feel too bad about it. I mean, it's not like every week a kid gets suspended for the year cause he wore a cut off to class. My gut tells me they don't just blast on you like that for one slip up. Could be a repeat type thing. No one here knows.

I feel bad for the kid who's played basketball his whole life. Not many get a chance to play in the NCAA as a number 1 seed. We don't know what happened. One slip up, that could be as small as going on a coffee date, cost him a chance to play on college basketball’s biggest stage. Did he know the rules before he went there? Yes. That doesn't mean it's not silly. To me it makes it sadder. The kid has high standards for himself.

Kudos to BYU for spoiling a very good basketball team’s opportunity to play at its highest level. This is bad for basketball.

being held accountable for your actions, how unjust!

The real question is how did Jim McMahon survive at this school?

While at BYU, McMahon honored his code. It was after college he let loose. From life "experiences" I dated as many "Ministers' Daughters" as I could, due to the fact that they were not subjected to "Ministers' Rules" while in the back seat of a car with me. Oh the memories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

being held accountable for your actions, how unjust!

I didn't say it was unjust. I said I felt bad for the kid, the suspension is for an unknown reason that could be silly based on the rules of the honor code, and that it was bad for basketball. :rolleyes:

While at BYU, McMahon honored his code. It was after college he let loose. From life "experiences" I dated as many "Ministers' Daughters" as I could, due to the fact that they were not subjected to "Ministers' Rules" while in the back seat of a car with me. Oh the memories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll give an EXAMPLE that I've heard from LDS family members.

The BYU code forbids pre-marital sex. SOME BYU students travel to Las Vegas, get married, have sex, then have the marriage annulled.

The BYU code forbids pre-marital sex. SOME BYU students travel to Las Vegas, get married, have sex, then have the marriage annulled.

Back in my day, Ministers' Daughters didn't have to go to Lost Wages and did not have to annul marriages. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Are you LDS?

yes. And it is important for this discussion that non-members realize there may be significant differences between church requirements and even more demanding standards members may adopt for self or family. That often leads to confusion regarding what is or is not allowed.

Pat Forde pretty much sums up my feelings on this situation.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=6175251

Here are the key paragraphs:

What makes this such a powerful testament is the fact that so many schools have cravenly abandoned their standards at such a time as this, embracing athletic expediency over institutional principle. It happens so often that we don't even raise an eyebrow at it anymore.

Player arrests or other antisocial behaviors are minimized as youthful mistakes, with strenuous institutional effort put into counterspinning any negative publicity. Academic underachievement is dismissed as merely the price of being competitive in big-time athletics. "Indefinite" suspensions often last only as long as they're convenient -- timed to coincide with exhibition games or low-stress games against overmatched opponents.

That certainly didn't happen in this instance at BYU.

Like most of us, I will honor my code of honor as long as it is convenient to do so.

I second that. I wonder, for example, how Mississippi State would handle a similar situation if Renardo Sidney got in trouble (again)?

They would find someone else to kick off the team to convince fans of their integrity. Haha.

They would find someone else to kick off the team to convince fans of their integrity. Haha.

That is not true. They would ask Cleveland State to kick someone off their team to convince fans of their integrity.

Pat Forde pretty much sums up my feelings on this situation.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=6175251

Here are the key paragraphs:

What makes this such a powerful testament is the fact that so many schools have cravenly abandoned their standards at such a time as this, embracing athletic expediency over institutional principle. It happens so often that we don't even raise an eyebrow at it anymore.

Player arrests or other antisocial behaviors are minimized as youthful mistakes, with strenuous institutional effort put into counterspinning any negative publicity. Academic underachievement is dismissed as merely the price of being competitive in big-time athletics. "Indefinite" suspensions often last only as long as they're convenient -- timed to coincide with exhibition games or low-stress games against overmatched opponents.

That certainly didn't happen in this instance at BYU.

+1

Actually, if you want to get really technical, I believe the code makes specific mention (or used to mention before possibly being modified) of vaginal intercourse or something to that effect. There's been quite a stir in the LDS community in recent years of young ladies getting around this on a technicality, finding other means of intercourse, at the risk of getting too graphic. Use your imagination.

It's pretty bad when the LDS church officials have to come out and address the troops, telling them that "doing it that way" is also not tolerated. But apparently that kind of activity was/is becoming fairly widespread. But hey, she's still a virgin.... ummm.... okay...

yes. And it is important for this discussion that non-members realize there may be significant differences between church requirements and even more demanding standards members may adopt for self or family. That often leads to confusion regarding what is or is not allowed.

Actually it's pretty clear. But it's HARD to follow the BYU Honor Code for some, whether LDS or not.

My in-laws were all raised LDS. Only a handful practice the faith now. I know for sure that very few of them would have met the Honor Code precepts. And they're all (pretty much) good people.

Top Bottom