BYU dismisses one of its top forwards due to honor code violation

I heard he got caught with a box of Lipton tea bags.

Contraband:
coffee-graphic.png

Tea and coffee, wow.

I was already hoping to be in BYU's region. Now it would be a dream come true...huge loss.

Really?

Probably was wearing an earing - or - walked barefoot in public - or - had a sleeveless shirt on.

Hey, you go to BYU, you know what you're getting into. But I find their dress code interesting. It says no sleeveless stuff. Well wouldn't their uniforms instantly violate that part of the code?

I'm not Mormon. I don't have any ties to BYU, but I respect them for this.

Very few schools would toss a kid with only two weeks to go in the regular season. Especially when the departure could be the difference between a 1 seed and a 2 or 3 seed.

I don't agree with some of their rules and I wouldn't want to go to school there, but I give them credit for having conviction.

I'm not Mormon. I don't have any ties to BYU, but I respect them for this. Very few schools would toss a kid with only two weeks to go in the regular season. Especially when the departure could be the difference between a 1 seed and a 2 or 3 seed. ... I give them credit for having conviction.

I second that. I wonder, for example, how Mississippi State would handle a similar situation if Renardo Sidney got in trouble (again)?

One's stated same-gender attraction is not an Honor Code issue. However, the Honor Code requires all members of the university community to manifest a strict commitment to the law of chastity. Homosexual behavior is inappropriate and violates the Honor Code. Homosexual behavior includes not only sexual relations between members of the same sex, but all forms of physical intimacy that give expression to homosexual feelings.

Maybe he got to friendly with one or more of his teammates during the celebration of a basket. I can't believe people are defending this "honor code". Many of the rules sound pretty subjective.

Hey, you go to BYU, you know what you're getting into. But I find their dress code interesting. It says no sleeveless stuff. Well wouldn't their uniforms instantly violate that part of the code?

I'm not LDS but most of my in-laws are. Anybody who chooses BYU knows about the Honor Code and how strictly it will be enforced.

Mens shorts have to be 'longer than the knee' --- Bobby Knight would have a problem with that one ...

Whatever he did, he knew the rules when he decided to attend BYU. If the honor code was going to be problematic for him, he should have gone somewhere else. Kudos to BYU.

If a student gets an erection, do they get expelled from the school?

Whatever he did, he knew the rules when he decided to attend BYU. If the honor code was going to be problematic for him, he should have gone somewhere else. Kudos to BYU.

I don't necessarily agree with the honor code but I respect BYU for enforcing it. The kids know prior to entering school what the deal is and the school doesn't let anything get in the way of it. Oh, that other institutions would be as firmly convicted.

I'm not Mormon. I don't have any ties to BYU, but I respect them for this.

Very few schools would toss a kid with only two weeks to go in the regular season. Especially when the departure could be the difference between a 1 seed and a 2 or 3 seed.

I don't agree with some of their rules and I wouldn't want to go to school there, but I give them credit for having conviction.

Without a doubt, the Honor Code is more important to BYU than a NCAA seed.

The young man obviously agreed with the code and choose to be a part of it and BYU.

I commend BYU for their steadfast actions.

If a student gets an erection, do they get expelled from the school?

Do you have a point in all your incoherent rambling?

It's pretty straightforward. It's a private institution. You can choose to attend, or not attend. It's up to you. The rules are plain, and in black-and-white. Don't break them, you'll be fine. Break them, and suffer the consequences. There is nothing duplicitous or underhanded in the manner in which this was handled. It doesn't affect your life one way or the other, so why are you crying about it? It's not a grave miscarriage of justice.

My question is why would anyone want to go to BYU with its Honor Code, if they weren't LDS? Just saying but most of my favorite college memories violated at least 1 of the Honor Codes requirements.

The real question is how did Jim McMahon survive at this school?

My question is why would anyone want to go to BYU with its Honor Code, if they weren't LDS?

The simple answer is, because everyone doesn't lead the same lifestyle. A lifestyle that works for some doesn't work for others.

The real question is how did Jim McMahon survive at this school?

I have no idea.

They've had this Code (which also to certain points is used at Utah, Utah State and ALL other schools in Utah) for a long, long time. It's based on Mormon values.

The ignorance on this board is obscene.

Every religion has its moments to be sure, and I don't really care for the politics of the LDSs but I don't appreciate the tenor of this thread. It is inappropriate on so many levels.

Yes, the ethics meter at BYU is drastically different than other schools but that shouldn't invite derision. The exposure that our beloved G-hole has had in larger media markets tells you that people are checking us out; listening to our little sewing circle. "God" forbid we offend a potential Mormon recruit with intolerant sentiment.

Finally, people have wondered what has happened to Snowman; well I know he doesn't take kindly to people using the word retarded so flippantly. It's embarrassing.

The simple answer is, because everyone doesn't lead the same lifestyle.

Playing Devil's Advocate but isn't college the one time in a person life where they should be trying new things, having fun, and overall just being a care free youth. It seems to me that the Honor Code says no to all of that.

Think about how hard that recruiting pitch must be if you were the coach.

Head Football Coach: "Player X, while you are at BYU you can't drink coffee or Mountain Dew or tea. And that party on Friday and Saturday night that you want to go to is dry. Bumping uglies is strictly forbidden. And by the way you ALWAYS have to wear sleeves. But don't worry there are tons of things to do here in Provo Utah."
Player X: "Uhhh...like what?"

But I have to give BYU their due for standing on their Honor Code and not giving special treatment to anyone on campus.

Pretty sure they can drink Mountain Dew.

Respectfully, and I say this as an imperfect being with many flaws, perhaps not everyone's priority in life is to "bump uglies" and to party?

Top Bottom