BYU dismisses one of its top forwards due to honor code violation

Wow! A guy has sex and there goes a number 1 seed. Let us keep praising BYU for having standards. :rolleyes:

The last two posters continue to not get it.

Nope, we all get what happened. You and I happen to just disagree.

BYU would have been just fine if he married two 13 year olds, but he, as an adult who is not a mormon, can't have sex with his girlfriend. Yet they are more than happy to reap the benefits of his services as a basketball player when he very likely could have attended any number of quality institutions. Color me skeptical.

BYU would have been just fine if he married two 13 year olds, but he, as an adult who is not a mormon, can't have sex with his girlfriend. Yet they are more than happy to reap the benefits of his services as a basketball player when he very likely could have attended any number of quality institutions. Color me skeptical.

I would imagine Davies was well aware of the honor code when he enrolled at BYU. You don't have to be mormon to attend BYU, you simply have to adhere to their principles. Your point about "BYU being happy to reap the benefits of his services as a basketball player" would ring more true if they let him play the rest of the year and kicked him out of school afterwards.

LDS requires adherence to state and federal laws. Multiple wives NOT PERMITTED by LDS church since 1890's and 13 year old wives not permitted, either.

when he very likely could have attended any number of quality institutions

Yeah, but he didn't attend any other quality institutions. He attended BYU. He failed to hold up his end of the deal, and suffered the consequences. Pretty simple stuff here.

Nope, we all get what happened. You and I happen to just disagree.

Yes, and you are wrong. You clearly want to blame BYU, when they did nothing wrong. This is 100% on the student. This matter cannot be debated.

LDS requires adherence to state and federal laws. Multiple wives NOT PERMITTED by LDS church since 1890's and 13 year old wives not permitted, either.

And they just allowed people of color to join in the 1970's. How about them apples? I'm sure he didn't get any different treatment at BYU because he is African-American.

and I don't think they will be getting it any time soon!

Well, we certainly can't say that about Davies. He got it. :pig:

Just Curious

Honestly curious about this. Does Notre Dame or Marquette demand it's student athletes live by the schools religious code?

Likewise schools like Baylor?

It is pretty simple. Rules are actually rules at BYU. They hold themselves to a very strict code of conduct and he violated it. Yes, I personally find it hard to believe that a young man cannot have sex with his girlfriend, but the fact is that he did not adhere to their strict rules. I don't think you can bash BYU because they have their rules. That is their belief system and last time I checked they did not impose that on the rest of collegiate America. I can't believe the uproar that people have for actually making an athlete adhere to strict code of conduct, no matter how strange some of us think it is. Some people are absolutely appalled by eating meat, eating meat is part of my code of conduct and I consider it grounds for punishment if I don't regularly eat it :) Vegetarians would not understand that.

And they just allowed people of color to join in the 1970's. How about them apples? I'm sure he didn't get any different treatment at BYU because he is African-American.

One of the first ? that I ask LDS missionaries when they pitch LDS beliefs to me. USA passed Civil Rights Act in 1965 but God waited until 1978?

Look I don't support many LDS beliefs but I'll try to correct errors (multiple wives allowed) when i see them.

I didn't say it was unjust. I said I felt bad for the kid, the suspension is for an unknown reason that could be silly based on the rules of the honor code, and that it was bad for basketball. :rolleyes:

Yes, and you are wrong. You clearly want to blame BYU, when they did nothing wrong. This is 100% on the student. This matter cannot be debated.

I'm saying I feel bad for a player who made a mistake, confessed, and feels bad about it. Confessing is being honest which is part of the honor code. I also feel bad for the rest of the team. As a basketball fan I'm annoyed with BYU for kicking a kid off their basketball team for having sex. I already conceded they are justified. I don't like it and will criticize them for doing so. I don't get your issue with this.

I'm saying I feel bad for a player who made a mistake, confessed, and feels bad about it. Confessing is being honest which is part of the honor code. I also feel bad for the rest of the team. As a basketball fan I'm annoyed with BYU for kicking a kid off their basketball team for having sex. I already conceded they are justified. I don't like it and will criticize them for doing so. I don't get your issue with this.

None of this makes any sense. Confessing to cheating on a test doesn't keep you from being expelled at most schools. Confessing to not paying your taxes won't keep you out of jail. And you're mad at BYU for actually enforcing their policies? What is the point of having an honor code at all if there are no consequences for violations? You can say that he was unjustly punished, but you know how he could've avoided punishment? Don't break the rules! Once again, it's far more simple than most would like to make it.

Honestly curious about this. Does Notre Dame or Marquette demand it's student athletes live by the schools religious code?

Likewise schools like Baylor?

No, no and no. And same goes for the priests at the first two (ok, that's not ENTIRELY true).

As for BYU, seems to me there should be a progressive form of discipline (warning, suspension, expulsion...) but as someone mentioned, that's why you better know the lay of the land before signing up at these draconian institutions.

I agree. I sense there is something more to this story. Honor code or not, this kid is surely not the first athlete at BYU to commit this (or some other) violation. He may not even be the only member of the current team to have done so. Why was he singled out and questioned about it?

I agree. I sense there is something more to this story. Honor code or not, this kid is surely not the first athlete at BYU to commit this (or some other) violation. He may not even be the only member of the current team to have done so. Why was he singled out and questioned about it?

Interesting point. It seems unlikely he is the first to do this. It makes me wonder if BYU is using this kid during a high profile season to make a point to the rest of their campus and the country. To be clear, I'm by no means accusing them of doing that. I'm saying they've come off looking pretty good to most posters on the GH and ESPN talking heads.

Does anyone know how often a student (athlete or not) gets dismissed from BYU for breaking the honor code? It probably happens often, even to the athletes. It's just that this year BYU is one of the top teams in the country and the kid was one of their best players. If this had happened to, say a backup OL on the football team, it's probably hardly even a story.

Actually it's pretty clear. But it's HARD to follow the BYU Honor Code for some, whether LDS or not.

My in-laws were all raised LDS. Only a handful practice the faith now. I know for sure that very few of them would have met the Honor Code precepts. And they're all (pretty much) good people.

Yes, the honor code and other church guidelines (which comprise the foundation for most of the honor code) are clear. What is not so clear is a discussion carried on mainly by people lacking firsthand understanding of guideline interpretation and application. Some of what has been said is dead on. Some of it is so far off target as to be laughable. My point is that we should all be careful when engaging in a discussion that introduces into the mix a specific church's doctrine or guidelines.

wrong. Hot drinks are coffee and tea. Hot cider, hot chocolate no problem. Btw, coffee and tea are not evil, just not good for our physical well being and we are asked to abstain.

Could you explain this a bit more. Tea is better for you than mountain dew or hot chocolate.

Top Bottom