Buggs/Ellenson on par with big 3?

I'm hoping that Ellenson and Buggs are in that category, but I can't believe they are even close. Jones and Vaughn look incredible, I can't imagine that Ellenson and Buggs wouldn't have been starting at the U last year if they were in the same world as Jones and Vaughn.

That's not to insult those guys, I'm excited to see what happens with them next year.

As far as Buggs. . .I consider him to be Paul Carter, how close am I?

Or have played any significant minutes at all.

Why did you have to bring Carter up? Every time I think of the class of Carter, Bostick, Sampson, Iverson and Joseph I think about what might have been if Tubby could have been able to motivate them and get them all to play to their potential. A ton of athleticism there.

Yep, the lost potential in that class really bothers me. Some of it was out of Tubby's hands (Carter and even Bostick), but that was a good class.

Just from the descriptions of Buggs, he reminds me of Carter.

Carter was one of the best recruiting gems of the Tubby era. It was just Tubby and the U's bad luck that he had to transfer out for family reasons. I don't know what ever happened to his sister, but last reports I heard (around the time he was transferring) were not good. Hopefully she ended up being alright though.

I'm not convinced that it was strictly the sister issue.

I'm not convinced that it was strictly the sister issue. He didn't end up moving super close to where she was if I recall.

Pretty sure she was at a hospital in the Chicago area, hence the move to UIC. If he really wasn't happy and the sister thing wasn't an issue, he would have ended up at a better school. Remember the entire team shaved their head for her. I'm almost positive that is the only reason he transferred.

Pretty sure she was at a hospital in the Chicago area, hence the move to UIC. If he really wasn't happy and the sister thing wasn't an issue, he would have ended up at a better school. Remember the entire team shaved their head for her. I'm almost positive that is the only reason he transferred.

You are correct, I checked it out and deleted. I still wonder if he would have stayed if he was really enjoying it here and maxing out.

Carter was one of the best recruiting gems of the Tubby era. It was just Tubby and the U's bad luck that he had to transfer out for family reasons. I don't know what ever happened to his sister, but last reports I heard (around the time he was transferring) were not good. Hopefully she ended up being alright though.

http://www.uchicagokidshospital.org/specialties/cancer/stories/carter.html

Her tumor didn't immediately respond to treatment but since her amputation (2011) she hasn't had any signs of cancer since the surgery. She is back in school and it sounds like she is doing well.

You are correct, I checked it out and deleted. I still wonder if he would have stayed if he was really enjoying it here and maxing out.

Gopher Playa said he didn't like Orlando. If you can't believe the high school kids on this board, who can you believe?

Buggs could be the key player. I am not sold he is anywhere near the athlete Rodney was, but with his size and fairly decent shot, he could make a difference between a fifth place finish or a tenth place finish.

I know at least one source has us finishing last in the big ten. With all our main guards back, if we can get Buckles to qualify this year, pick up an additional ball handler / shooter and if Buggs and Wally contribute, this team could be better than we saw this current season.

Buggs could be the key player. I am not sold he is anywhere near the athlete Rodney was, but with his size and fairly decent shot, he could make a difference between a fifth place finish or a tenth place finish.

I know at least one source has us finishing last in the big ten. With all our main guards back, if we can get Buckles to qualify this year, pick up an additional ball handler / shooter and if Buggs and Wally contribute, this team could be better than we saw this current season.

Agreed. I can't wait to see the pieces come together with the new coaching staff. Mbakwe's rebounding and physical presence will be missed but we should improve in every other area with player development and the new guys.

Plus I have faith we will see better offensive flow under Pitino next year. That alone could be a three game swing.

Agreed. I can't wait to see the pieces come together with the new coaching staff. Mbakwe's rebounding and physical presence will be missed but we should improve in every other area with player development and the new guys.

I want to share your optimism, but I have just seen too many undersized Gopher teams get beat up on the boards over the years to think that Mbakwe's absence won't be significant. Better shooting could help, but I would be more optimistic if we could get in a brusier of a rebounder to replace Trevor. The name of the game in this conference is defense and rebounding, and we will be down on the rebounding side in a big way. Tarik Black is needed more by us than any of those other 100 schools that want him for his senior year!

Top Bottom