BTN.com's 2014 Big Ten football uniform poll (Gophers rated 9th best unis in B1G)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per BTN:

Some quick thoughts:

No big surprises with the top three (Ohio State, Michigan & Penn State), the Big Ten’s most iconic uniforms.
Five teams (Michigan, Maryland, Northwestern, Ohio State & Penn State) received at least one first-place vote.
Michigan had the most first-place votes (3), but still finished second.
Five teams (Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State & Penn State) received at least one second-place vote.
Maryland was the most polarizing uniform, with a first-place vote and several 12th-place votes.

9. Minnesota – 65 (10, 10, 11, 2, 8, 8, 12, 4)

http://btn.com/2014/07/21/btn-coms-2014-big-ten-football-uniform-poll/

Go Gophers!!

Pretty cool that the only voter who specializes in uniforms ranked us #2.

With his final 5 I take it Andrew Lind does not like the color red in any form:

10. Maryland
11. Nebraska
12. Wisconsin
13. Indiana
14. Rutgers

God I hate summer football polls!

Agreed. Just hate all these summer rankings by "experts".

Basically, most are just geared to keep the big fan bases happy as they read everything and anything during the summer months.

Agreed. Just hate all these summer rankings by "experts".

Basically, most are just geared to keep the big fan bases happy as they read everything and anything during the summer months.

You really think these guys write things to keep particular fan bases happy? You really think THAT much thought goes into uniform rankings and the like and that there are agendas to these posts that are simply supposed to be fun?

Personally, I don't think that much thought goes into it and they're supposed to just be fun and that some fan bases have a bit of a victim complex and take it more seriously than the authors intended.

You really think these guys write things to keep particular fan bases happy? You really think THAT much thought goes into uniform rankings and the like and that there are agendas to these posts that are simply supposed to be fun?

Yes, I REALLY do think these things and I am quite worked up about it. I DEMAND A CONGRESSIONAL HEARING ON OFFSEASON RANKINGS OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL "STUFF"!!

This means everything to me.

Excuse me now as I will try to take my mind off of this travesty to search other Gopher Hole threads to spark meaningless arguments with people I have disagreed with in the past. This activity takes my mind off of things and makes me feel better about myself.

Pretty cool that the only voter who specializes in uniforms ranked us #2.

Until we have gold helmets again, I say put us down the line. The maroon helmet was Mason trying to copy USC

Our helmets alone should put us top 3. Nearly all of my non-Minnesota friends think we have one of the best helmets in the country.

Yes, I REALLY do think these things and I am quite worked up about it. I DEMAND A CONGRESSIONAL HEARING ON OFFSEASON RANKINGS OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL "STUFF"!!

This means everything to me.

Excuse me now as I will try to take my mind off of this travesty to search other Gopher Hole threads to spark meaningless arguments with people I have disagreed with in the past. This activity takes my mind off of things and makes me feel better about myself.

Am I missing something here? So you state an opinion, I scoff at it (admittedly my opinion as well), then you get hyper-defensive about it?

Until we have gold helmets again, I say put us down the line. The maroon helmet was Mason trying to copy USC
Gold helmets? Absolutely disgusting.

Jerseys and helmets should be the primary color of the team, not the secondary.

Our particular color gold doesn't work as well on the helmets in my opinion.
4795402_orig.jpg

We used the good looking gold the last time we had gold helmets in the early 90's but it's not really our color.
Minnesota_OLD9.gif

The maroon or white helmets really make the block M pop.

Our particular color gold doesn't work as well on the helmets in my opinion.
4795402_orig.jpg

We used the good looking gold the last time we had gold helmets in the early 90's but it's not really our color.
Minnesota_OLD9.gif

The maroon or white helmets really make the block M pop.

I like this one a lot...

per BTN:

Some quick thoughts:

No big surprises with the top three (Ohio State, Michigan & Penn State), the Big Ten’s most iconic uniforms.
Five teams (Michigan, Maryland, Northwestern, Ohio State & Penn State) received at least one first-place vote.
Michigan had the most first-place votes (3), but still finished second.
Five teams (Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State & Penn State) received at least one second-place vote.
Maryland was the most polarizing uniform, with a first-place vote and several 12th-place votes.

9. Minnesota – 65 (10, 10, 11, 2, 8, 8, 12, 4)

http://btn.com/2014/07/21/btn-coms-2014-big-ten-football-uniform-poll/

Go Gophers!!

Was Eddie George in this poll?! :cool:

Which Gopher uniform are they judging?

I can picture Mich, tOSU and PSU.

Ok, let's be honest. If you are a top program, then you get voted top jersey.

-Penn State's are not under-stated, they are boring. Boring. If the Gophers wore them, the PSU jersey would be ranked 14th across the board.
-TOSU are middle of the pack at best.

Admittedly I am biased but I see Minnesota and Michigan head and shoulders above the rest. Iowa and NU a step down and then perhaps MSU and tOSU. After that it is just a slew of boring uniforms (For god's sakes, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Indiana are the same damn jersey just with a different letter on the helmet).

Maryland is exempted as apparently they are an Arena Football team and this is a poll of the Big Ten jerseys.

I always like more yellowish than gold and more reddish than actual Maroon. Iowa State over Florida State colors. The shades in our end zones are the perfect color scheme in my opinion.

Honestly, I liked the "metallic" gold. The color they use today is not "gold" to me - it's yellow. If they're going to use the "yellow" version of gold, I would prefer something a little darker.

In the interest of full disclosure, to give you an idea of my color sense, in 1976, I bought a canary-yellow leisure suit to wear to my college roommate's wedding.

Michigan should be #1 (I hate Michigan) and Iowa should be up there (I hate Iowa more than Michigan) everything else is just pointless summer filler. Gun to the head, I think the Gophers are in the 3-6 range.

Honestly, I liked the "metallic" gold. The color they use today is not "gold" to me - it's yellow. If they're going to use the "yellow" version of gold, I would prefer something a little darker.

In the interest of full disclosure, to give you an idea of my color sense, in 1976, I bought a canary-yellow leisure suit to wear to my college roommate's wedding.

In 1976 I learned to eat with a spoon and ride a Big Wheel.

Nothing we could ever do to pass the top 5 schools, if not the top 8 even. I think our current jerseys are great, but it's impossible to overcome the "classic" jerseys of Michigan, Penn State, etc. If a brand new team came out with jerseys identical to Penn State, they would be laughed at.

Nothing we could ever do to pass the top 5 schools, if not the top 8 even. I think our current jerseys are great, but it's impossible to overcome the "classic" jerseys of Michigan, Penn State, etc. If a brand new team came out with jerseys identical to Penn State, they would be laughed at.

I don't disagree at all but I am glad the the current U iteration just seems more old school and classic. I dislike what Maryland and Rutgers do. Wisconsin's are now "classic" but still seem cartoonish with that motion W. Give me the U or even Illinois staying true to their colors and simple block lettering any day of the week. We may not be iconic like Michigan or Penn State but at least we look classic.

BTW, I hate what OSU is now doing by adding more black and incorporating green trim or stickers. Looks too busy to me like they're trying to overcome their classic design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate the penn state unis. There's traditional and then there's plain vanilla/ugly. Going strictly by style points the gophs should be ranked much higher. I agree Iowa is prob #1 (sorry) purely because they evoke the steel curtain aura. Mich close #2 but I like the gophs at #3. Wisconsin, neb, osu, Illinois are just meh. NW over us?

Northwestern is terrible with that crooked N on the helmet. Iowa is terrible as it is a ripoff of the Steelers and that Tigerhawk is hideous. Wisconsin is terrible, it is a terrible color red and that crooked W on the helmet is awful. The Gophers uniforms are hands down better than these 3.

Top Bottom