Bryant Allen

WadeHokenson

Reaction score
I know it has been discussed how Allen is going to play basketball as well over on the Basketball board, but my question got ignored over how certain it is that he will be playing hoops in addition to football. Anyone have any knowledge on how certain it is that he will be giving Tubby some minutes in the future?

I know it has been discussed how Allen is going to play basketball as well over on the Basketball board, but my question got ignored over how certain it is that he will be playing hoops in addition to football. Anyone have any knowledge on how certain it is that he will be giving Tubby some minutes in the future?

He said Tubby will allow him to walk on. He is a 3 star basketball recruit at PG so he is a legitimate candidate. He definitely has the quickness to play in D1 but only time will tell whether he has the rest of the skills. I watched some video of him and he has a good shot, I know...it was a highlight video, but his form looked fine. He put up 35 points in the championship game of a tournament he was playing in and I think he was named tournament MVP.

Playing football and basketball is pretty complicated given the overlap in seasons. However, I remember seeing Julius Peppers and Ronald Curry do it at UNC and they're both in the NFL right now. Curry was the starting QB & starting PG for half the basketball season but he was a freak that was the #1 rated FB & BB player coming out of HS and he started ahead of Michael Vick at QB in HS.

Wade, did you go to HS in Watertown? I went to HS in Chaska, class of 98, and I think I remember playing against you in a basketball tourney in 7th or 8th grade. I think I remember your brother (Brock?) too. He had a good class with two big guys that were pretty good for junior high.

he started ahead of Michael Vick at QB in HS.

Nope - he went to Hampton HS, and Vick went to two different schools in Newport News: Ferguson and Warwick. But they did compete against each other in the same district, and Curry overshadowed Vick, beating him both on the field and in the recruiting rankings.

and Curry was never a star at either sport. He eventually found his way to the NFL as a WR but he was just a freak athlete. Still he was never more than pretty good. Nate Robinson was a very good football player before concentrating on basketball. Its been rare that a player has been even good at one and mediocre at the other and even more rare for a player to be good at both

Charlie Ward...He was also a major league baseball draftee by milwaukee in 93 as a pitcher and the yankees in 94 despite never playing college baseball. Also was a model student athlete, was student government vice president. Upon graduation, Ward stated he was undecided about professional basketball or football and made it clear that he would not consider playing in the NFL unless selected in the first round of the 1994 NFL Draft. Because teams did not want to waste a first round pick on a player that might eventually choose the NBA, Ward was not selected in the 1st round of the NFL Draft. Instead of pursuing a career as a football player in the NFL, and having been chosen in the 1st round (26th overall) of the 1994 NBA Draft by the New York Knicks, he began his career in the NBA as a point guard. An inquiry was made during Ward's rookie year with the Knicks to become the backup quarterback for Joe Montana of the Kansas City Chiefs, but Ward declined.

Nope - he went to Hampton HS, and Vick went to two different schools in Newport News: Ferguson and Warwick. But they did compete against each other in the same district, and Curry overshadowed Vick, beating him both on the field and in the recruiting rankings.

I'm not disagreeing with you but I remember watching a UNC game on ESPN and they said that Vick moved positions as a junior because Curry was the QB. I could have heard it wrong but I'm pretty sure that is what the analyst on ESPN said, not that they haven't been wrong before.

Charlie Ward...He was also a major league baseball draftee by milwaukee in 93 as a pitcher and the yankees in 94 despite never playing college baseball. Also was a model student athlete, was student government vice president. Upon graduation, Ward stated he was undecided about professional basketball or football and made it clear that he would not consider playing in the NFL unless selected in the first round of the 1994 NFL Draft. Because teams did not want to waste a first round pick on a player that might eventually choose the NBA, Ward was not selected in the 1st round of the NFL Draft. Instead of pursuing a career as a football player in the NFL, and having been chosen in the 1st round (26th overall) of the 1994 NBA Draft by the New York Knicks, he began his career in the NBA as a point guard. An inquiry was made during Ward's rookie year with the Knicks to become the backup quarterback for Joe Montana of the Kansas City Chiefs, but Ward declined.

Ward was a great college QB, but he wasn't good enough as a passer to be a 1st round draft pick.

I'm not disagreeing with you but I remember watching a UNC game on ESPN and they said that Vick moved positions as a junior because Curry was the QB. I could have heard it wrong but I'm pretty sure that is what the analyst on ESPN said, not that they haven't been wrong before.

Either they misspoke or you misheard because they didn't go to the same school.

As for Ward, he's the one big example but was also the best college athlete of that era IMO and Allen does not appear to have that same profile right now.

Randy Moss was a two-time Mr. Basketball in the state of West Virginia. Many back in the late 90s said he could've played in the NBA if he focused on it exclusively. Probably the best basketball-football combo player I could think of. Tony Gonzalez was another one - though I don't think he could've played in the NBA if he tried - he was a PF in a SG body.

Randy Moss was an incredible basketball player. He also was on the same H.S. team as NBAer Jason Williams.

Remember this old Nike commercial....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eLj3yMGugf4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eLj3yMGugf4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Going to the way back and no so way back....

How can this conversation take place without mentioning two of St. Paul's finest?

Dave Winfield was a legit 3 sport athlete. He could have played football, baseball, or basketball.

Mauer most likely could have done both football and baseball in college had he not skipped college. IIRC Mauer was just so, so in basketball though.

3 sport athlete

Dave Winfield is the answer to the trivia question! Who is the only person to be drafted in all three major sports? Apologies to hockey...

Joe Maur could have played division 1 basketball if he concentrated on it full time and didn't play other sports.

Raider QB

Mauer most likely could have done both football and baseball in college had he not skipped college. IIRC Mauer was just so, so in basketball though.

Joe Mauer is still the best QB in Minnesota.

:)

How can this conversation take place without mentioning two of St. Paul's finest?

Dave Winfield was a legit 3 sport athlete. He could have played football, baseball, or basketball.

Because Winfield did it in the 70's and sports have changed a lot. Bud Grant played pro basketball for two years before going on to a professional football career. However, in those days the game was completely different and players played both ways. The specialization of athletes today makes it much more difficult to play multiple sports at the college level. That doesn't diminish the accomplishments of athletes before 1980, I'm just saying that using examples from the 90's or later makes more sense because the athletic landscape is more similar to today.

If Mauer did it at the college level--and he clearly had the talent to play D1 football & baseball--he would have been in the discussion. And yes, he was all state in basketball but he was among the best in the nation in football (#1 rated QB recruit) & baseball (#1 overall draft pick although he looked like the consensus #2 pick, the Twins didn't want to pay the money that Prior was demanding).

Because Winfield did it in the 70's and sports have changed a lot. Bud Grant played pro basketball for two years before going on to a professional football career. However, in those days the game was completely different and players played both ways. The specialization of athletes today makes it much more difficult to play multiple sports at the college level. That doesn't diminish the accomplishments of athletes before 1980, I'm just saying that using examples from the 90's or later makes more sense because the athletic landscape is more similar to today.

If Mauer did it at the college level--and he clearly had the talent to play D1 football & baseball--he would have been in the discussion. And yes, he was all state in basketball but he was among the best in the nation in football (#1 rated QB recruit) & baseball (#1 overall draft pick although he looked like the consensus #2 pick, the Twins didn't want to pay the money that Prior was demanding).

I understand and agree with your points. It's all in my postername. I tend to see things from a Saint Paul perspective. ;-)

Thanks for the update GrunkieJr. Couldn't get a real answer from the other board. To answer your question though, I'm just an impostor of thee one and only Wade Hokenson. But, however, he did go to Watertown I'm quite certain and also played a few seasons for the Gophers off the end of the bench. Your memory has served you well! haha

Thanks for the update GrunkieJr. Couldn't get a real answer from the other board. To answer your question though, I'm just an impostor of thee one and only Wade Hokenson. But, however, he did go to Watertown I'm quite certain and also played a few seasons for the Gophers off the end of the bench. Your memory has served you well! haha

That's funny. I completely forgot that he was one of the walk ons to fill out the roster when Monson came in for Clem.

I've got a little more Bryant Allen info for you...This is from Rivals but it's all public info so I don't feel bad about passing it along...Per game averages...25 pts, 4.5 assists, 2 steals and he is shooting close to 50% on 3 pointers. His team is the defending state champ and they're off to another great season. They've played in 3 tournaments and won all 3 with Bryant taking home the MVP in each tournament. His coach expects Bryant to be among the finalists for Missouri Mr. Basketball with a Mizzou commit and an Illini commit.

He sounds legit to me.

Obviously playing two sports is no easy task but don't let the internet blowhards fool you, it can be done. Gopher fans should be excited about the possibility of Allen playing both sports.

But given that the gophers are going to be in January bowls each of the next four years, and the football playoffs beginning pushing the championship back another couple of weeks, how can he accomplish this??

Did Bud Grant?

Not get drafted in baseball?

Dave Winfield is the answer to the trivia question! Who is the only person to be drafted in all three major sports? Apologies to hockey...

Joe Maur could have played division 1 basketball if he concentrated on it full time and didn't play other sports.

Turner Gill did it as well. He played both football and baseball in college at a high level.

Some guy from Edina..

Who's name I can't remember played both Hockey and Football at Wisconsin fairly recently. So it can be done, with the schedules and all, it's just vary difficult.

Top Bottom