Bryant Allen

WadeHokenson

Reaction score
I believe Allen is on the bench tonight with the team? A shorter guy with dreadlocks that resembled him came off the bench to congratulate Hoffarber after #4 and was sitting next to Dawson at the end of the bench. That's a good sign.

That's him, Moonlight is raving about his cute outfit.

Trevor is not her today.

I know, I need to find myself a nice sweater vest for my work attire!!

I could care less about Bryant. Unless he is extremely good, we don't have time for a two sport (football - basketball) athlete. It just doesn't work with the season overlapping.

St Louis POY, 1st team All-State, Mr. Basketball runner-up, and state champs in basketball.

Unless I was seeing things I thought Trevor was there in some capacity tonight. Maybe I'm just getting my games mixed up though.

St Louis POY, 1st team All-State, Mr. Basketball runner-up, and state champs in basketball.

And.... this bears repeating- he shot over 50% from 3 pt range. There's nothing saying that he will play meaningful minutes but he could be an injury away from being an important player.

Tubby gave a coy response in his post game when Spencer asked about him. I don't think Tubby wants to comment until football is over.

Trevor was not there - finals? - but Bryant Allen looked great on the sidelines. The sweater/tie look gave a nice contrast to his dreads. He could have been an athlete or a very cool philosophy major.

I could care less about Bryant. Unless he is extremely good, we don't have time for a two sport (football - basketball) athlete. It just doesn't work with the season overlapping.

How is he taking up time? I'm guessing if he participates, he'll just go to practices and games...and I'm pretty sure it's always good to have another practice player, if he's not good enough to play on game day.

What top team has a player that joins the team every year in late December? What is the point of building up team chemistry and a figuring out your player rotation if it gets disrupted by someone who starts practice in January. You don't need an extra guy in practice.

PEPPERS???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

What top team has a player that joins the team every year in late December? What is the point of building up team chemistry and a figuring out your player rotation if it gets disrupted by someone who starts practice in January. You don't need an extra guy in practice.

Could you please answer my question - how is this taking up time?

I don't know, teams that have 2 sport athletes. Not to knock the Gophers after a good win, but quite honestly, I think that team chemistry is one of our biggest obstacles right now. It's hard to see that in blowout games, but it was certainly the case 2 weeks ago.

I've had no access to the program with Tubby, so I can't speak for the team now, but I know in years past, there were actually guys that would practice with the team when they needed extra bodies. One of my friends in college was one of them.

Bottom line is, I don't know what Bryant Allen can contribute, but that's Tubby's decision, not yours or mine. I'm guessing the team is "disrupted" by his being there, it wouldn't continue.

PEPPERS???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Beat me to it. I doubt Allen will ever have the impact that Peppers did with Carolina, but I think we should give him the benefit of the doubt and let him prove himself before we write him off. I've never seen him play, but based off of what I read he sounds like he's capable of playing high-major basketball. If he wants to try to play two sports good for him and I hope he helps the team.

If nothing else, nothing wrong with an extra body. I said it when Bostick returned, even if he's not a huge contributor, I'd rather have him out there getting garbage minutes (I guess it's different than Allen who will be returning about Big 10 season time) than to have one of our higher in the rotation guys out there risking injury. Also, +1 to GopherLady, I am unconcerned about his affect on team chemistry. If he was a dbag or a distraction or was polarizing due to his unique situation, Tubby wouldn't have it.

Can anyone confirm on Trevor? I usually make a note to pick him out before the games start but I wasn't able to today.

And.... this bears repeating- he shot over 50% from 3 pt range. There's nothing saying that he will play meaningful minutes but he could be an injury away from being an important player.

Tubby gave a coy response in his post game when Spencer asked about him. I don't think Tubby wants to comment until football is over.

What's the biggest knock on Nolen? His shooting in the past has been so inconsistent that teams could sag off oh him as he wasn't an outside threat. I'm not saying he's going to supplant Nolen in the lineup but a 3 point shooting PG couldn't hurt.

Also, I may stir the pot by saying this. But I honestly believe Allen is faster and quicker than Nolen. He's a truly explosive athlete.

What's the biggest knock on Nolen? His shooting in the past has been so inconsistent that teams could sag off oh him as he wasn't an outside threat. I'm not saying he's going to supplant Nolen in the lineup but a 3 point shooting PG couldn't hurt.

Also, I may stir the pot by saying this. But I honestly believe Allen is faster and quicker than Nolen. He's a truly explosive athlete.

When have you seen him play besides on a fuzzy internet video?

What?

You don't think Tubby can figure this out? You don't think he understands the game and his team well enough to know how and when to use Bryant? Give me a flippin' break.

Chemistry ?? LOL

CHEMISTRY ????

That is too funny. We have two starting guards in a fight with one another. We have two big recruits suspended due to legal issues. One of those recruits which is a media junkie that just can not lay low. Now, a possible two sport athlete that seems to have survived his first semester without intra-team fights or legal issues will cause a chemistry problem on our hoops team?

Just too funny for words.

:D

But I honestly believe Allen is faster and quicker than Nolen. He's a truly explosive athlete.

If I'm not mistaken he's the fastest player on the football team. 4.3 in the 40 I believe. How that will work into basketball is questionable. No doubt the kid is a stud athlete though.

If I'm not mistaken he's the fastest player on the football team.

I bet he could cut down a half second if he lopped off that hair. The wind resistance has got to be amazing.

If we don't land Devoe's brother, Allen could be an important piece in future years...

Don't have time = Don't need the distraction of a partial season player when other guys have been working together over the summer and a long preseason. If he does play, Allen would be taking minutes (time) from developing Justin Cobbs. If it wasn't for a bowl game's it makes sense, get him in mid to late November when we will have some soft opponents to play. Chances are gophers football team will continue to play in bowls and he would continue to join our team at the same time the Big Ten season starts.

I'm still failing to see any valid points you are trying to make. I guess I see a lot of our off-the court issues as distractions, not a kid that can possibly help the team. If he does get minutes from Cobbs (not saying he will) that means he's earned them, and he's a better player, which is good for the team.

And fyi - although he wasn't working with the team, it's not like he hasn't been busting his butt in the summer and fall - probably had a lot harder workouts for a longer period of time too.

I guess I'm not really sure why this bothers you so much.

If we don't land Devoe's brother, Allen could be an important piece in future years...

+1

From what I have seen and heard, Allen has Big Ten talent right now. The future is only brighter with Mr. allen on the team. How on earth could he be a distraction?

I'm not bothered. My original point was; I'm not expecting much contribution from a freshman that joins the team in the Big Ten season. It's a little odd to hear gopher fans getting worked up because he was sitting on the bench, well dressed.

Maybe he fits in well with the team, pushes Nolan and Cobbs in practice and they become better... he gets a few garbage minutes when we pummel Iowa, Indiana and Penn State and preforms well... Time will tell.

That actually wasn't your original point - was that you could care less about him, and he's not worth taking up your time.

I don't expect much of a contribution from him - but if he wants to be part of the team,and can help in anyway, I'm all for it.

I'll chip in with my 2-cents.

I'd like to see Allen have at least one year dedicated entirely to basketball. If he is a four-year football player, then the only way for Bryant to do that is to redshirt a year in basketball, thus being able to dedicate his 5th year totally to hoops. So I could see Allen practicing with the team, but not playing unless something comes up where we need the bodies.

I'll chip in with my 2-cents.

I'd like to see Allen have at least one year dedicated entirely to basketball. If he is a four-year football player, then the only way for Bryant to do that is to redshirt a year in basketball, thus being able to dedicate his 5th year totally to hoops. So I could see Allen practicing with the team, but not playing unless something comes up where we need the bodies.

Good point, mikie. And since the gophs have a bowl game this year, and he's a freshman with a huge learning curve, this would be the year for a redshirt--assuming no depth problems b/c of injuries.

I really don't see any negatives to him practicing and playing with the team.

If he's another body who has any potential ability to contribute, suit him up.

Top Bottom