Bryant Allen Update from Marcus

GopherLady

Reaction score
He just tweeted this:

GophersNow

Smith said he spoke with freshman football player Bryant Allen. But Allen hasn't practice with the bball team. 3 minutes ago from web

My guess is that since Allen is going to a bowl game now, he may not practice with the team until the New Year, if he still decides to play.

He just tweeted this:

My guess is that since Allen is going to a bowl game now, he may not practice with the team until the New Year, if he still decides to play.

Good update, GL. What these High School Jocks need to realize is this: There is NO WAY they can be two sport athletes in college like they were in High School.

Unless one is a Dave Winfield type athlete. :)

Good update, GL. What these High School Jocks need to realize is this: There is NO WAY they can be two sport athletes in college like they were in High School.

Let's see:

Eric Decker FB & Baseball
Julius Peppers FB & Basketball
Ronald Curry FB & Basketball
Michael Carter FB & Track

It's a lot easier playing a fall/spring schedule than a fall/winter schedule.

Exactly - and it's just much more difficult to play 2 in college. You're not just going to 2 hours of practice after school, it's your life. And particularly in football, you get beat up and are exhausted. If you can recover for a few months and do track or baseball, it's much easier. Kudos to the guys who have intentions of playing bball, but I don't fault then one bit for not doing it after a long football season.

One thing for certain - I bet this kid is in good shape. If he can shoot suit him up!

Beat up ?

Exactly - and it's just much more difficult to play 2 in college. You're not just going to 2 hours of practice after school, it's your life. And particularly in football, you get beat up and are exhausted. If you can recover for a few months and do track or baseball, it's much easier. Kudos to the guys who have intentions of playing bball, but I don't fault then one bit for not doing it after a long football season.

I generally agree completely but how beat up does he get practicing fair catches?

:) :) :)

If you have ever gone through a football season you would understand that everyone gets fatigued and beat up throughout the season, regardless of their role with the team.
________
FORD MODEL F SPECIFICATIONS

You are kidding right? Bryant Allen is 10 times the athlete Dave Winfield was. Athletes are bigger, faster, stronger, more agile than they were during Dave Winfields days. I could have been a 2 sport athlete back then

I generally agree completely but how beat up does he get practicing fair catches?

:) :) :)

Did you see that punt where he forgot to call for a fair catch and got absolutely blasted. One of the biggest hits of the year against us. He had no idea where he was when he was getting helped off the field.

But I do agree with you, he should be good to go for the basketball pretty quick. Besides the one hit above, I don't think he got too beat up.

No, I am not kidding. I know Dave Winfield was drafted by 4 different teams in 3 different sports and has a lot of accolades but its not always about stats and achievements. Being an athlete in the 70's was a lot different than it is now. I would like to see Allen and Winfield in a foot race and also see who has more "shakes and jukes" I have a feeling Allen would break Winfield's ankles.

Who said he will be a two sport failure? Maybe he wants to try both and then decide which sport he will pursue.

Warning: no credibility alert

"I would like to see Allen and Winfield in a foot race and also see who has more 'shakes and jukes.'"

Yep, that's how you define who the better athlete is, who's the fastest & who has the better "shakes and jukes".

"Dave Winfield was drafted by 4 different teams in 3 different sports and has a lot of accolades but its not always about stats and achievements.

Then what is "it" about?

"Bryant Allen is 10 times the athlete Dave Winfield was."

Bryant Allen has a long ways to go to become even half of what Winny was on the athletic fields.

You are kidding right? Bryant Allen is 10 times the athlete Dave Winfield was. Athletes are bigger, faster, stronger, more agile than they were during Dave Winfields days. I could have been a 2 sport athlete back then

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

There's a story about Winfield showing up for some intramural track contest. Although he had never tried to high jumping before, after a few practice jumps he set a Big Ten intramural record and would have placed among the better Big Ten scholarship high jumpers that year.

Good god. I'm going to guess your Dave Winfield memories consist of him trucking around the bases for his 3,000 hit in a Twins uniform in his late 30's and nothing else. My memories of him are limited too, as I'm not old enough to have seen him much before that, but I'm not stupid enough to make a comment like that because of it. Give me a break.

I've questioned Bankonit's credibility since day 1.

This is my nomination for the most ignorant post in the history of GopherHole. There is plenty of competition for this award (probably including serveral of my own), but in the end, this just has to be the winner.

Dave Winfield is a Hall of Fame baseball player who also could have played professional basketball and football. He is by far the greatest all around athlete in the history of Minnesota. Bryant Allen will never spend even one day on an NFL football field or NBA basketball court.

This is my nomination for the most ignorant post in the history of GopherHole. There is plenty of competition for this award (probably including serveral of my own), but in the end, this just has to be the winner.

Dave Winfield is a Hall of Fame baseball player who also could have played professional basketball and football. He is by far the greatest all around athlete in the history of Minnesota. Bryant Allen will never spend even one day on an NFL football field or NBA basketball court.

You are correct about Mr. Winfield being perhaps the best athlete in MN history...However, for you to call his post the most ignorant in Gopherhole history and then go on to say that Bryant Allen has no chance to make the NFL or NBA is also somewhat ignorant...He's a heck of an athlete, no Dave Winfield for sure, but how do you know he's not going to develop into a pretty good player capable of playing in the NFL? (I have no idea about his basketball skills)

If you think athletes from even 10 to 15 years ago are on the same level as today's athletes you are out of your mind. Athletes today are competing against people who are just as strong and fast as them, athletes of old were competing against scrubs. If you had any sort of athletic ability you could be head and shoulders above the competition. It is like a Minnesota kid going down to Texas to play football, it is a completely different level of play down there and the Minnesota kid would get his jock handed to him. If yester years athletes were competing in today's game they would get smoked.

If you think athletes from even 10 to 15 years ago are on the same level as today's athletes you are out of your mind. Athletes today are competing against people who are just as strong and fast as them, athletes of old were competing against scrubs. If you had any sort of athletic ability you could be head and shoulders above the competition. It is like a Minnesota kid going down to Texas to play football, it is a completely different level of play down there and the Minnesota kid would get his jock handed to him. If yester years athletes were competing in today's game they would get smoked.

Mr. Winfield would have no trouble competing during any time period. He was a SUPERIOR athlete that would have no problem competing in today's game. You sure shoot from the hip don't you? It's all good, but when you're wrong, you're wrong sir.

I beg to differ, Dave Winfield was good then, but would be average today

I assume you're kidding about the "average" comment....Either that, or you really don't have a clue about sports sir....I don't want to start a pissing match, but your comments are waaaay out there man

Definitely. He was average then and he definitely sucks now. Imagine how bad Dave is going to be in 15 more years. I'll be so much better than him then.

Seriously, get your head out da gutter

What exactly makes an athlete so much better today than 30 years ago? It can't be genetics or a better gene pool, since there has not been enough time for evolution to occur between then and now.

I might throw out an idea that athletes today get better equipment, shoes, training (not necessarily better coaches, because there were some awfully good ones back then), year-round work outs, better nutrition, better supplements, etc. Can you imagine what Dave Winfield in his prime would be like with the things that are available to athletes today to make them better? It is scary to think about!

That is why we see track records and swimming records constantly falling. They likely aren't much better genetically, but they are trained better and have more completely reached their potential because of it. Again, just imagine Jesse Owens, Barry Sanders, Pete Maravich, Walter Payton, Jim Brown, Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell if they were in today's sport scene.

Some of your posts were better in the old days. You were average then, but you are terrible today. I wonder how bad your posts will be in the future?

Again, just imagine Jesse Owens, Barry Sanders, Pete Maravich, Walter Payton, Jim Brown, Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell if they were in today's sport scene.

All garbage in today's game.

Top Bottom